Yeti GOBOX Collection

Pump Rifles

CB1

I ended up with an old Remington 760 Gamemaster. At first I enjoyed the idea of a pump 30.06 but the more I shoot it the less I like it. I think it just doesn’t fit me right.

Anyways, curious to see if anyone on here likes or uses a pump rifle for hunting. Seems like they would be a good “brush gun” similar to a lever action.

I owned that gun once. Could never get used to the pump action. It felt funny to have the slide come lose after pulling the trigger. The mistake I made was selling it before establishing a superior replacement though. The gun fit me very well, and I could drive tacks with it

I had one that belonged to my fil. It was a pump Remington -06. I shot as well as most bolt rifles, using 180 Corelokts. I think that they are rattly and awkward, but it shot very well. I gave it to my kid and he just sold it.

I have one for a brush gun (ghost ring and fiberoptic front sight, 19" barrel). It's not accurate, but mine is a <100 yard gun. It's also a pain to clean, but it's the best feeling rifle I've carried. Feels like a comfortable shotgun and I love it.

Remington Pumps and Autos can be MOA guns and are much more than brush guns. There is a older video from Remington and they are shooting a Bolt and Auto and Pump and I would hunt with any of them.

Interesting to hear the experience of others. The rifle is super accurate which is great. It feels like a shotgun which can throw you off when a pheasant pops up in front of you.

I have a 760 in .270 that I picked up cheap. I've just got peep sights on it but it shoots pretty well. Someday I'll get around to putting an actual recoil pad on it.

I have a 7600 in .270. It was my high school graduation gift from my parents. I used it when I first started elk hunting as it was the only rifle I owned at the time. It has accounted for several cow elk. It shoots 150 gr Partitions pretty well. But it doesn't fit me well and the trigger is fair at best. It hasn't left the gun safe in a long time. It was a gift and I'll always keep it, but I wouldn't buy another.

I shot my first Whitetail (a forkhorn) with a Remington 760 in .300 Savage with a peep sight. I worked all summer my Sophomore year in high school, pitching bales and cleaning calf pens by hand, to earn the money to buy the used rifle. Later I put a 2 3/4 X Redfield Widefield scope on it. It was a great rifle for the northeast woods. I never should have sold it :(

My old man has the same rifle cambered in .270. He got it at a time when running deer dogs was still the thing. He kept the open sights on it for awhile. Numerous story of shooting running deer through woods and wild dogs chasing cows with it. Mom got him a scope many years ago and he still complains about not being able to take those shots, but the scope is still there.

When I got big enough to handle it I used it until I was 18 and got my own rifle. The sound of that gun is beautiful. As for accuracy just as good as any we use. The only down fall is if you’re trying really long shots I could see the little wobble of the pump being an issue. He got the trigger adjusted a couple years ago and it’s really nice to shoot now.

I have a 760 30-06 that was my wife’s grandads. We were hunting buddies. It’s rattly and a little (lot) rough around the edges, but it’s pure nostalgia! I love carrying it into the deer woods, and have killed several with it. It actually shoots pretty accurately with 165gr handloads, but I don’t push them too hard.

I actually cut down the stock and put a recoil pad on it when I refinished it a few years ago. He had put a coat of varnish on it that was peeling and actually holding in moisture, so I stripped it, went through it and fixed some major chips and cracks without taking away all of the character, restained it and put several coats of tung oil on it.

Last edited:
Several generations of the Benoit family filled some tags with them, along with many other folks East of the Mississippi. View some of their videos as they shoot hand tossed sodas to get their shooting practice around camp and you can see why the Benoits like to carry them every year.

They handle very well and yes, the pump makes noise, but they are also very reliable. They really shine for a still hunter and for the quick follow up shots (I have heard them called the Pennsylvania Dutch machine gun) and they seem a solid choice for most stand hunting too.

Your investment in the rifle is very low so enjoy it, set it up as a backup gun, or carry it a few times as you wander around. Maybe look for a replacement stock with a better fit for you and you can keep the original besides? I have one in 06 in a carbine and I will hang on to it until I pass it on in hopefully a few decades.

When I was 11 years old I signed me and a childhood friend up for hunters safety in Wisconsin. We both passed and had our first deer seasons.

He shot his first deer (a yearling doe) with a Remington pump 30-06, with his dad by his side that year. His dad died the following February from esophageal cancer.

Pump action Remingtons will always mean a bit more to me than just a rifle.

I've got my Grandpa's old Remington 760 in 30-06. It's killed a nice white-tail, mule deer, and antelope. I now carry a Tikka in 7mm, it's lighter and makes 200 yard shots seem like cake compared to the 760, but I won't be parting ways with the 760 in my lifetime. It eats up 165 core-lokts and will group them right around an inch or so at 100 yards. I had to put a rubber stock extender on it so it fit better, and it's doubled as a recoil pad since the rifle itself doesn't have much of one. If yours isn't fitting, a rubber extender is a cheap fix to find out if the gun will work for you or not. My grandpa had an old Tasco Pronghorn scope on the rifle, but it broke, so I now have a Vortex Diamondback 3-9 on it. The gun is a joy to shoot, and this thread is making me reminisce enough that maybe I'll pull it out this fall and see what I can turn up.

They handle very well and yes, the pump makes noise, but they are also very reliable. They really shine for a still hunter and for the quick follow up shots (I have heard them called the Pennsylvania Dutch machine gun) and they seem a solid choice for most stand hunting too.

Being from PA originally, I've heard them referred to as a Mennonite Machine Gun.

Have the pump and semi versions in 30-06...presently sentimental safe queens as the pump was my first 'deer' rifle and the semi was my late brother's. Both one inch w/factory.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back