Public land nemesis

Wow, don’t know how I never cracked this thread until tonight. I thought for sure that I was going to get to see the ending but here we are. Heckova story so far.

Meet Chief Jr! Chief's son. I could get past the antler changes. I could get past the throat patch changes. But I cannot get past the facial markings. Between the eye and the nose, Chief is all white. Jr is brown. I just don't think a buck goes from white to brown at that age....but....BUT....If'n I was you, I would look up a domestic deer breeder and ask them that question. Because maybe it can. Who knows, they shed coats twice every year. My gut says it is Chief's son.....85%. 10% likely it is Chief hisself. 5% chance it is an unrelated buck.

Have you had his barrel bodied buddy One Eye on cam at all this year?

Can not tell for sure, but I would not bet that it is him. The Browtines look very different and that is one part of a bucks antlers that change the least.
Also it appears that the recent buck, has a streak with some brown hair down the top of the nose, Chief is snow white. Beautiful cape on Chief.
I agree with this 100%. When in doubt I always compare brow tines. I don’t know why it is but it definitely is the most consistent characteristic year to year.

@Hilljackoutlaw I get excited every time I see you post on this thread and keep getting disappointed. I’m rooting for you!

I was hoping to come back to this thread and see you finally got him. I don't think the two deer in post #372 are the same buck. I'm not 100% sure though. I've seen old regressed bucks that loose mass up top but they still maintain mass on the bottom couple inches next to the pedicle. It looks like this buck is still heavy in the bases but he still looks younger to me. I've been wrong before.

I hope you get him!

Last edited:
You guys are probably right, I just want it to be him so bad. 😄
Today I was parked and loading my pack to go sit for the afternoon and a fish and game warden stopped and checked my tags. Got to talking with him for awhile and in February of 2019 he happened to find a shed from chiefs 2018 set of antlers. Now there is atleast one shed from his 2016, 17, 18, 19, and 20 antlers that has been found.
8186.jpeg8188.jpeg

Also these trail cam pictures sum of my deer hunting season pretty well so far. I don't see crap but deer follow me around. Haha
20211126_182759.jpg20211126_182735.jpgScreenshot_20211126-173006_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20211126-173044_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20211126-173051_Gallery.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back