Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Public land issues from CO 2nd season.....

SFC B

I want to start this story by saying that I am more than grateful to have had the opportunity to hunt this year after having Uncle Sugar ensure I couldn't last year. I had a wonderful time of fellowship in our camp which included 3 Army and 3 Navy Vets this year. As many of you know I hunt the east portion of the Flattops and it was a rough year to start with for the area. No weather (snow) and very mild temperatures meant the usual number of animals (especially elk) were not down in our area during my 5 days in camp. So, with that in mind, I really didn't need the following.......

Opening morning myself and 2 other guys from our camp get up very early (we were in position NLT 0530) and spread out across a valley that covers about a mile and a half and is usually very productive. About 0700 we notice that another hunter has slipped into the drainage and is on the other side of the valley. Not is a great position but tolerable from a etiquette standpoint. HOWEVER, about 0800 his two buddies come down off of the ridge above us, stomp through a known bedding area and proceed to walk through the middle of the valley/meadow. Disappointing to say the least....but it gets worse. Those two stomp around the lower end of the valley near a creek for a few hours and then about 1300 the straw broke for me. One of the later 2 marches up the valley and posts himself directly in front of me at 100m. I try whistling in hopes that somehow he did see me. Nothing. Finally I walk into an obvious spot and wave. He shrugs his shoulders and tries to wave me off. I motion in various directions where there is land without ME. He gives me a dismissive wave and I march straight to him. When I get there I enquire as to what he was thinking sitting directly in front of my rifle at 100m. He signals that he is deaf. I look him in the face and signal for him to read my lips (one of the few things I know in ASL). I then take the next 5 minutes to explain hunter safety and acting in a courteous manner. Some words may have been of a colorful nature. I go back to where I was sitting and he leaves after about 30 seconds. He goes down to where his buddy is posted down valley and then leaves. 5 minutes later THAT dude comes walking up the valley. He gets to where I am and tells me his friend is scared (he was deaf too but had a hearing aid and could talk). I pointed out to him that I purposely approached his friend WITHOUT my weapon and let him know what the discussion was about. I then pointed out exactly where his buddy was sitting and the tone changed. He realized the danger that his buddy had put himself in and promised to talk to his friend. I left that drainage and hunted elsewhere. Guys from another camp tried to go back in that drainage and reported those guys continued the same behaviors.

Issue 2.....Monday around 1100 my hunting buddy and I met in camp to eat some chow and were witness to some really crappy rancher behavior. As we sat and ate we start hearing moo s . This was really strange as the grazing pattern for the year had cattle out of this area. A couple of minutes later about 200 head of cattle come barreling down off of a ridge, through another group's camp, on through the main Jeep trail and about another 5 camps through the next 2 miles. The ranchers had driven the cattle off of private land, across a large creek up a valley where about 5 hunters were hunting and then on through what I described to another portion of their land. Seems they had just gotten hunters in the land (they have an outfitting business of course) where the cattle had been ;( The hard part to swallow is that if they weren't doing this to be disruptive to us as public land hunters they would have simply made the move during the break between 1st and 2nd seasons. It is really disheartening that this type of thing happens on a regular basis in the area and CPW always falls back on the "well, that's not what they said " business. I did get one quick pic as the last of the cattle cleared the first camp and am going tot he local office on Friday to show and discuss. Probably won't matter but I have to try.

Realize this has been a bit of whiny-ness but needed to vent. Hope all of you are having good seasons.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but you probably should have just moved on to your Plan B. A fresh start in a new area is just what's needed to make a hunt fun again after a bad experience.

Issue #1 - yeah, that sucks. In the last 5 or so years I have really tried to change my attitude towards what I would call clueless hunters. Anytime someone screws up my hunt like that, I chalk it up to "today is their first day hunting and they didn't know". It helps me keep a good attitude. I will though, never, ever, oh holey hell ever, confront (even if it's just to explain to someone calmly) another hunter in the field about etiquette. In my view, you are just asking for trouble with someone with a loaded firearm. Just get up, move on with a new plan, and don't let it affect the rest of your hunt.

Issue #2 - Ranchers business is their cows, and that public land we are hunting on is their grazing land (for better or worse), nobody tells me how and when to do my business, and i'm sure any Rancher would tell you the same.

Issue #3 - you are letting things affect your hunting time. If you are anything like me, hunting season is your favorite time of year, and is so important. you hunted 1st season, with 5 days to hunt, you really can't let 2 of those half day screw up the whole hunt for you. Move to plan B, plan C, plan D. Think of everyone else as clueless morons who can't help themselves, and instead of stewing about it, feel sorry for them. That anyway, keeps my attitude good which always keeps me postive which helps my whole hunting experience.

Jorgy- I would not have gone over to the guy had it not been such a safety issue. I had hoped he really didn't understand the danger he put us both in but it turned out he just never got it really. I understand your point and it is probably the safer course of action but there are some actions I just can't ignore. As for the ranchers....we all know that they graze on the land (at an incredibly subsidized rate) and that is the "price of doing business" in the area. In this case, the cattle were moved from private through public and back to private for the purpose of facilitating the rancher's outfitting business. When they are making their living on the public dime, to a large degree, AND get tags through the RFW program there should be some sort of accountability. I talked to the owner of the general store in Toponas and she said she had already gotten several reports of the same ranch and another in the basin herding elk again this year. The outfitter is charging $7500 a head for those elk......

Kind of agree with Jorgy on this one...yea it sucks but you got to make the best of public land hunting and bickering about isn't going to make your day any better

I'm sure this happens a lot on public land. That's one reason we hunt where most other hunters are not willing to pack game out of. We rarely if ever see other hunters.

we are seriously considering packing back farther into the wilderness next year if one of our camp members can come through with horses.

I'm sure this happens a lot on public land. That's one reason we hunt where most other hunters are not willing to pack game out of. We rarely if ever see other hunters.

we are seriously considering packing back farther into the wilderness next year if one of our camp members can come through with horses.

When you get to enjoy the solitude with no other hunters nearby you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

No need for horses if your buddy doesn't come through with them. Find an area with a unique access challenge and hike in with a spike camp. In Minnesota all you need is a canoe or set of chest waders to separate yourself from 99% of other hunters. A little bit of ingenuity can save you a lot of miles on your boots.

I had my share of knuckle-head hunters this year. One guy fired his pistol when we got within 50 yds of his spike camp. We had noticed their camp and thought we were being polite by walking around instead of through their camp. Apparently they thought it was their mountain and we were invading their space. It's public land and there is plenty of space for everyone (especially in the mountains of CO).

Back