PEAX Equipment

Did the Albany Co. Commissioners just screw public land owners without ANYONE noticing?

Yeah, the east side is worthless. I wouldn’t take that route. It appears it was never legally a county road. That the commissioners decided not to start the process to make it official is what has me seething. The private owners on the west end can now block access. That’s what kills me.

Looks like they took a page from the Montana playbook. Sorry to see this.

There is case law out there where elected officials who pawned away a public right were sued and the public's right was restored by the courts. It was not easy and it was expensive, part of which I suspect goes into the political calculus of doing such.

That the commissioners decided not to start the process to make it official is what has me seething. The private owners on the west end can now block access. That’s what kills me.
Not to mention the amount of 'Private Road' signs that are deemed public by the same map that are on public lands. Such a frustrating thing to read.

That blocks off a big chunk of the southern Medicine Bow, at least on foot.

I found it slightly humorous that one private parcels along that road is owned by a Richard and Karen.
Would that be our former Governor? They are or were on the East side.
Have not been real happy with our county commissioners for a few years now, thanks to them we get a new wind farm.

I used that road to access some public land in Colorado from the Wyoming side one year.

One of the county commissioners called me last Friday night to talk about this, there's a lot more to the story and a lot to unpack with this.

I hope to meet with the commissioner and the landowners out there to see what we can do.
Hopefully it’s not a story of someone ruining it for all of us. Thanks for going to bat.

Meade's wife tried to get a major road in Laramie closed down for safety of UW students, the town told her to pound sand. Guess she got wadded up over folks driving thought their corrals on the road.

Buzz is it closed on West end too ?
Surprised the commissioners want to tackle this issue frankly.

From Albany county sheriffs office

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1715177833798.jpg
    FB_IMG_1715177833798.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 60
Meade's wife tried to get a major road in Laramie closed down for safety of UW students, the town told her to pound sand. Guess she got wadded up over folks driving thought their corrals on the road.

Buzz is it closed on West end too ?
Surprised the commissioners want to tackle this issue frankly.
I wish theyd have to at least pay the county back for building/maintaining the road.

I dont have to wonder what would have happened to the corrals if they were in the power companies easement.

Surely if this has been a long standing public access point. There is a legal angle to keep that road open. If this is infact the former governors ranch getting this closed it stinks of corruption.

Buzz let us know what you find out!

Hopefully it’s not a story of someone ruining it for all of us. Thanks for going to bat.
Ya know - as much as i reason with this - a bad actor cant destroy an easement.

Statements like this bother really bother me from landowners. The premise of the statement is that its their "right" to lock up access because of inconvience they have. I cant lock up my sidewalk because the neighbor lets his dog shit on it.

Access is a legal right (via easement or historical easement) in many places. Not some charity or grant to the public done by the landowner.

Ya know - as much as i reason with this - a bad actor cant destroy an easement.

Statements like this bother really bother me from landowners. The premise of the statement is that its their "right" to lock up access because of inconvience they have. I cant lock up my sidewalk because the neighbor lets his dog shit on it.

Access is a legal right (via easement or historical easement) in many places. Not some charity or grant to the public done by the landowner.
Very well said. I've seen other attempts to close/vacate rights of way on public roads under the guise of 'bad actors ruining it for everyone' because there had been problems with littering or other inconveniences. I've long felt its a weak excuse at best - interestingly - I only see it applied when it limits access to wildlife, public lands etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmor19534
Back