Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

propane grill died...pellet grill?

I hereby declare pork the king of all smoked meats:
a3a05a31-62fb-4264-b08f-54bc875232c2-jpeg.151244

Apparently you've never had good brisket

I have one of the smaller traegers. I like it but if I was gonna buy a bigger one I’d go with a pit boss because large traegers are just more than I’m willing to spend on a grill. That might cut into the hunting budget too much.

I too am in search of a grill. My 3-burner propane Weber got Derechoed this summer and insurance gave me $750 to replace it. Not sure that to replace it with. I love the convenience of gas, but charcoal or wood is definitely better. So, I waffle. Pellet smokers however, aren't really all that attractive. I don't know much about them.

This story begins in 2010 when I moved and needed to replace my gas grill.

found a cast iron grate charbroil brand, cooked tons of foods on it! Love it. After 2 more moves it was time for an upgrade. I was smoking meats for about 2 years now and wanted better temperature control. I looked at all the local places and finally settled on a traeger pro 34. Add in a simple blue tooth tenp probes and I cook great food on it.
Draw backs on it, no wifi starting, no shelves, no cover, no blanket... all those are add on’s I run my insulation blanket year round so I dont use as much fuel in the summer. Being a large grill, doing a couple steaks/burgers is time consuming. I want to get the smaller portable one so when I want to do two steaks I dont have to heat up a large area.
I will not go back to propane for the home. I have a small one for camping and love it.

Have always had a propane grill, but it gave up the fight after 20 years. So I replaced it with a Traeger. My food quality has went up about 3 large steps just from cooking on the Traeger. I will willingly admit that I am not a pro griller nor much of a chef in general. But the stuff on the Traeger just turns out so darn tender and juicy it is crazy. For me there would be no hesitation in replacing a gas grill with a pellet grill, it is a no brainer.

thanks guys,
Gerald I really want to get one of the Komato grills too.

I prefer Mango White Claws thank you :LOL:
I strongly recommend trying a Komato grill if you haven't. They definately aren't for everyone, but I love my big green egg. I use mine about 3-4 nights per week outside the winter. I still have a propane grill, but I rarely use it. The best burgers and steaks I have ever eaten have come off my big green egg. I also make a lot of chicken wings, ribs, and pork shoulders on mine. Smoking the thanksgiving turkey next week as well as a prime rib for a small covid christmas party. I still have my huge production smoker I use for jerky, sausage, block party size events. I did a lot of research on the komato grills after researching pellet grills to death, I wanted something that would last a long time and do most things well, the egg fits the bill for me. Lots of good reading on the komato grills out on the smoking forums, thats where I did a lot of my reading.

I think you and kotikant should have a grill-off or maybe smoke-off and invite me to judge which best. Can we do this Sunday? I don't have anything planned for dinner.
Not disappointed in the Pit Boss 700FB from WM for $335, delivered. Only drawback seen so far is it didn't have the digital probe setup, which we handled by getting a Weber model for $100. And it does a brisket very nicely, we just like pork more.

I too am in search of a grill. My 3-burner propane Weber got Derechoed this summer and insurance gave me $750 to replace it. Not sure that to replace it with. I love the convenience of gas, but charcoal or wood is definitely better. So, I waffle. Pellet smokers however, aren't really all that attractive. I don't know much about them.
Brent, do some research on kamado grills if you like charcoal and wood. I love my big green egg but they are pricey. They were the only ones I could get local and our local dealer make me a hell of a deal on it. Kamado Joe, Vision, and Primo are also nice kamado grills.

96D8D00A-5C0D-4B6E-9AB2-A246329B11F9.jpeg
I have a pit boss with a gas grill on one side, pellet grill on the other. Best of both worlds. I couldn’t be talked out of it. It works great, best grill I’ve ever had

Gas grill hooked up to propane is a giant PITA to deal with the tanks. Anyone ever tried to grill in the middle of winter with propane? That sucks.
Gas grill hard piped to your natural gas...........lights out difference. Grill away even in January.
Pellet stove? Have the bare bones Traeger since 2013 and NEVER going back to gas.

Figured I’d revive this thread again since I’m getting ready to buy a pellet grill. I’ve talked to enough traeger owners to know they’re a great grill. I’ve been checking out the rec teq grills and they seem to be a really good quality pellet grill. Anyone on here have any experience with them?

I just went into a bbq shop to look at the different grills planning on buying the traeger, the camo chef looks like it might have a few more options and attachments. Does anyone have experience with the camp chef pellet grills? I can also get 45 percent off camp chef on guidefitter so I’m leaning that direction.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back