Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

propane grill died...pellet grill?

thanks guys,
Gerald I really want to get one of the Komato grills too.

I prefer Mango White Claws thank you :LOL:
I have been more than happy with mine. It’s super easy to cook with. It’s closer to being an oven than a grill IMO.
With lump charcoal it starts easy and as soon as the food is I shut it down and the coals go out. I get two grilling sessions from each portion of charcoal.
With the ceramic insulation it’s easy to maintain an even heat. It’s also easy to get it HOT for a quick seat on steaks.
If your cooking is weighted towards steaks and burgers it might not be the best tool.
If you are wanting to add spatchcock chicken or whole turkeys, ribs, and brisket into the mix it’s awesome.2CFCCF35-622E-4D95-ACAF-532C8427CFC1.jpeg

So here's what I think I came up with. I have 2 cheap portable grills that I tailgate with. 1 lives in my work gear and one in my outdoor gear. I think the work one will get promoted to home use for those fast burn situations and I'll likely buy a PitBoss grill for cooking. I'm thinking if a person could crank the heat that I could even do a halfway decent pizza.

I'll likely go bigger than necessary

Sorry, it is sort of a tangent, but for Father's day my wife bought me a Blackstone Griddle - primarily for camping. It's just turned into our back porch grill and I don't think I've used our propane grill since. Burgers? Better on a flat top? Steaks? Better on a flat top. And the list goes on.

Now I know a guy needs a grill, but if you've got a couple portable ones for the times you need them, and if you've got a smoker for the times ya need one,I think the cast iron griddle could do a large portion of what a pellet grill could do, just better.

You could also use them in conjunction.

Tenderloin I smoked in the Masterbuilt then seared on the Blackstone:

1597938934818.png1597938942915.png

1597939217697.png

Last edited:
So here's what I think I came up with. I have 2 cheap portable grills that I tailgate with. 1 lives in my work gear and one in my outdoor gear. I think the work one will get promoted to home use for those fast burn situations and I'll likely buy a PitBoss grill for cooking. I'm thinking if a person could crank the heat that I could even do a halfway decent pizza.

I'll likely go bigger than necessary

i have a tailgate grill too that has always been able to get plenty hot. and i had the same thought when buying my pit boss - i'll just keep that out covered on the patio for quick sears if the pit boss can't sear as advertised

haven't touched the tailgate grill in about 9.5 months

Sorry, it is sort of a tangent, but for Father's day my wife bought me a Blackstone Griddle - primarily for camping. It's just turned into our back porch grill and I don't think I've used our propane grill since. Burgers? Better on a flat top? Steaks? Better on a flat top. And the list goes on.

Now I know a guy needs a grill, but if you've got a couple portable ones for the times you need them, and if you've got a smoker for the times ya need one,I think the cast iron griddle could do a large portion of what a pellet grill could do, just better.

View attachment 151008View attachment 151009

View attachment 151010
I considered going this way with Camp Chef products (they offer some pro deals) since they make an oven attachment which means pizza (let's be honest 80% of my so called diet is pizza and the other 20% is compensating for said pizza).

Now Mammas homemade pizzas go on the stone and get better treatment, but just saying for a guy home alone one evening:
My pellet grill makes even the frozen pizzas pretty yummy all by itself - no stone to heat up or anything.
Place on grill right on cardboard for 15 mins then remove cardboard for last 3-5 minutes for crispy crust. Doesn't get easier, or much better.

i feel compelled to beat this horse to death

for those that wanna pellet grill that can sear, or for those that don't believe pellet grills can sear...

i only had the setting at 400 degrees, 500 is the max. and it really only takes about as long to get this going for open grilling as a normal propane grill, if that's all you wanna do. cast irons obviously take a little more time

IMG-6458.jpg
IMG-6466.jpgIMG-6468.jpg

if you can't sear meat on this grill, it's definitely not the grills fault

View attachment 151008View attachment 151009

View attachment 151010
I have one of these and love the heck out of that thing! It gets put to work for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

for those that wanna pellet grill that can sear, or for those that don't believe pellet grills can sear...

i only had the setting at 400 degrees, 500 is the max. and it really only takes about as long to get this going for open grilling as a normal propane grill, if that's all you wanna do. cast irons obviously take a little more time

View attachment 151025
View attachment 151026View attachment 151027

actually this is quite helpful...this is the PitBoss? Definitely seeing an option for skillet cooking and deep dish pizza here...maybe figure out how to smoke a deep dish pizza. Damn I might get real fat again

actually this is quite helpful...this is the PitBoss? Definitely seeing an option for skillet cooking and deep dish pizza here...maybe figure out how to smoke a deep dish pizza. Damn I might get real fat again

yeah, it's the Pro Series 820 one at Lowes. though i don't really think there is a huge reason to choose the cabelas version, or the lowes version, or the wal mart version necessarily unless you find the sweet price you like. though i think the wal mart versions are generally less equipped

user warning if you're a big cast iron guy: i actually just noticed today, be careful when tossing those cast irons on there. meaning do it gently haha. i've been pretty careless about that thinking back and it appears i've chipped the coating on the grate

View attachment 151025
View attachment 151026View attachment 151027

This is what I meant by blow torching a steak...and it's not bad.

If you go the pit boss 820 from Lowes route, you can sign up for a credit card and take $100 off. At least you could last month when I got mine.

Weber propane for grilling, Weber Smoky Mountain or equivalent for smoking. Or better yet, offset smoker, but obv you have to live where hardwood is available to do that.

We got a Weber Summit Charcoal a couple of years ago; it is double walled, so retains heat like a kamado or big green egg, but doesn't crack and moves easily. Also, if you overshoot temp on a kamado, it takes forever to cool down to smoking temp. You can also grill on it but we don't. We grill year round and no way heating up the charcoal grill 2x/week to grill steak or burgers.

1598016879083.png

We've had propane for years. Bought a pit boss 700 FB and it is outstanding. Been using the heck out of it and for $335 at wally world? Like someone else said above, it's made me grill a whole lot more and I love everything that comes off it.

It may be not suit you, but I am a huge fan of wood burning. You can buy a quite heavy gauge smoker in Academy with grill insert for $400 and you won’t regret it. (Ok you must not expect craftsmanship, but it will work and stay together)

back home we only used Santa Maria Style grills and the taste just beats gas and coal by far.

I hereby declare pork the king of all smoked meats:
a3a05a31-62fb-4264-b08f-54bc875232c2-jpeg.151244

Attachments

• A3A05A31-62FB-4264-B08F-54BC875232C2.jpeg
    A3A05A31-62FB-4264-B08F-54BC875232C2.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 163

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back