Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

propane grill died...pellet grill?

MThuntr

I know there are a billion threads but I gotta ask again...Last night my 12 year old el cheapo grill died. Replacement parts do not exist and it's time to send it out to pasture. I grill 2-3 times a week. Often just a single burger or pork chop so a propane grill has worked very well for me. I have an electric smoker that requires me to feed it chips which is probably why it doesn't get used much. I think my small electric smoker will smoke at lower temps so it still has a purpose.

Strongly considering a Pit Boss based on price and the open flame option to actually grill. I'm thinking Pit Boss Austin XL 1000 (Walmart version). I'm not married to this brand or model so if there is a proven grill feel free to share. I don't think I need proprietary apps but have considered the Green Mountain wifi or the Camp Chef wifi (I get pro deals but they are out of stock of the bigger grills). Also considered Z-grills but they look a bit cheap.

Thoughts?

I just replaced my propane smoker with a Camp Chef. My first attempt at smoking with it resulted in sup-par ribs, but they were cheap spare ribs so I'm not ready to blame that on the smoker just yet. I grilled some steaks with it which tasted good, but my grill doesn't have the direct flame option so I didn't get the crust I wanted. I'll probably cook steaks in a cast iron pan in the future which I like just fine. One thing I didn't realize before buying was how long it can take to get up to temp. I'm not sure I would want to wait that long to cook a single burger or chop. Mine will probably be used as a smoker 90% of the time because of that.

Unless you are always changing flavor of pellets (not even necessary), my Camp Chef is just as easy as a gas grill - doesn't take any longer to fool with and you know wood fired tastes better than gas...
Not to mention the smoking options that you don't have to babysit.
Mine doesn't have it but I've read mixed reviews about the wifi options on them.

i have the pro series 820 sq in pit boss from lowes

i use it a lot. a lot a lot. i grill way more than i used to because of it.

i actually use the open flame option more to open up the grate to the flame to heat up cast irons for all of my searing more than using it for open flame cooking. i think there is no better way to sear a steak then with a castiron

i really haven't dived in to a lot of legit smoking yet, i just add smoke to everything i grill. smoke the burgers then sear em, smoke the steaks/backstraps/roasts then sear em

done ribs a few times and they were great. but what i really love is smoking/grilling veggies, making smoked salsa, smoked meatloat, and smoked green chiles. i dunno man, i would tell anyone and everyone to get a pellet grill over a gas grill, you can make all the same stuff it just tastes better

everything i grill though does take like at least 45 minutes longer than it used to. takes me almost two hours sometimes to cook a steak, but damnn is it a good steak

i have the pro series 820 sq in pit boss from lowes

i use it a lot. a lot a lot. i grill way more than i used to because of it.

i actually use the open flame option more to open up the grate to the flame to heat up cast irons for all of my searing more than using it for open flame cooking. i think there is no better way to sear a steak then with a castiron

i really haven't dived in to a lot of legit smoking yet, i just add smoke to everything i grill. smoke the burgers then sear em, smoke the steaks/backstraps/roasts then sear em

done ribs a few times and they were great. but what i really love is smoking/grilling veggies, making smoked salsa, smoked meatloat, and smoked green chiles. i dunno man, i would tell anyone and everyone to get a pellet grill over a gas grill, you can make all the same stuff it just tastes better

everything i grill though does take like at least 45 minutes longer than it used to. takes me almost two hours sometimes to cook a steak, but damnn is it a good steak
X2

Almost went Traeger but last minute decided pit boss! Very glad I did.

This is a strong recommendation for propane. ;)

it's true. everytime i cook some steak for dinner i tell my wife should be ready to eat at 6:30. I poke my head in at 6:20, scratch that, steaks are still at 80 degrees, maybe closer to 7 now.

come 7:45 we're sitting down for dinner, she's annoyed... but oh so happy when she bites in.

I’ve got a green mountain pellet grill and a three burner camp chef propane with a grill box. I really like having both options. I think if I could only have one I would stick with the propane, it’s much quicker and is better when temps are really cold

My home came with a grill tied into the natural gas lines. Few winters ago, I was out shoveling and smelled gas. Neightbor at that time was a plumber, came over and helped me cap it off. I replaced it with a treagar and have never been so satisfied with a purchase.

it's true. everytime i cook some steak for dinner i tell my wife should be ready to eat at 6:30. I poke my head in at 6:20, scratch that, steaks are still at 80 degrees, maybe closer to 7 now.

come 7:45 we're sitting down for dinner, she's annoyed... but oh so happy when she bites in.

My wife will stab you if dinner isn't ready when she is. I'll stick w/propane! :)

I have not had that issue. Maybe the auger isnt feeding properly?

I have not noticed any duration change. Only change is the versatility!

I have not had that issue. Maybe the auger isnt feeding properly?

I have not noticed any duration change. Only change is the versatility!

oh no, it's functioning properly, only problem is realistically calculating in my head how long it will take to bring 2 or 3 nearly 1.75" thick ribeyes up to an internal temp of 110 degrees while smoking at 165. then resting it for 10 minutes, then searing it for about 75 seconds a side, then resting another 10 minutes.

and since everything is temp dependent for the meat on whether or not it's ready, and no steaks are ever the same thickness or weight, i never get it right

it's just the mini version of wondering why you can't start eating a 20lb brisket 5 hours after starting

oh no, it's functioning properly, only problem is realistically calculating in my head how long it will take to bring 2 or 3 nearly 1.75" thick ribeyes up to an internal temp of 110 degrees while smoking at 165. then resting it for 10 minutes, then searing it for about 75 seconds a side, then resting another 10 minutes.

and since everything is temp dependent for the meat on whether or not it's ready, and no steaks are ever the same thickness or weight, i never get it right

it's just the mini version of wondering why you can't start eating a 20lb brisket 5 hours after starting
Hence, why it's called an art to cook meat well (medium rare)! 🤣🤣

I went back and time and have been used a round charcoal grill more and more. Those brickets light quick and I just throw some pruning from out fruit trees on there for some smoke. But nothing beats the simplicity and speed of propane... so I have one of those too.

I've been tempted by my brother to experiment with a short smoke, sous vide to temp, then back to the Pt Boss for a quick sear... 🤯

My wife got me a Z Grill last year for fathers day. I love that thing! Holds temp well and can get up to 450. I know alot of people with Traegers and I don't see how they work any better.

Back