Sell me a smoker

Nick87

Just like the title says. I need a new smoker I would prefer a vertical smoker because I use it just as much for doing jerky and sausage in large amounts. My last one was electric which I had no problems with for about six years until it crapped out. I'm open to any suggestion propane, pellet, or electric. I've been looking at the pit boss brand so far. I'd like to keep it under $450. Thanks in advance for all the input.

I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker that works fine for jerky and summer sausage. I like the built in temp probe and being able to program the specific temperature and time. Capacity wise, I wish the dimensions were slightly bigger but not a big deal. One drawback is I find myself having to finish large chunks (pork shoulder) or large diameter sausages (like summer sausage) in the oven to hit the final internal temperature. I don't mind having to do so but would be nice not having to transfer to inside the house.

For purely smoking I like a dedicated electric smoker. Just too easy to control a lower smoking temp for a longer smoke.

My Traeger works but the lowest temp is 225 which is higher than I like.

I have been eying up the pit boss vertical pellet smoker, I have had a pit boss pellet grill for like five years and it has served me good.

I have a couple basic electric smokers that I've used a few decades for smoking salmon and various sausages. They work okay but don't generate the higher temps needed for smoking and cooking roasts.

Recently, I picked up a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. It's made of quality materials and well regarded in the BBQ world. It is more manual than the auto electric pellet units but you might want to check it out. A good web resource is at: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Yesterday, I fired it up to do an 8.5 lb. herb crusted rib roast, smoking with charcoal and apple wood chunks from our orchard. It was my first use of a ThermoPro dual probe thermometer that Santa brought. I'm a novice at smoking meats on a charcoal cooker but was very happy that the roast turned out so well. The smoker is a game changer for us. I've never prepared a roast quite like it. Truly awesome flavor.

I've learned that using the smoker in winter with high winds and below 20F temps, maintaining cooker temps above 200F requires insulating the smoker. I'm using a large welding blanket, doubled and wrapped around the smoker, leaving openings for the air intake and outlet ports. It's not very neat but it worked well and I was able to keep temps between 325 and 360F.

My mouth is watering for leftovers today.

SMS-Rib-Roast-1-4-2020.jpgRib-Roast-1-4-2020.jpg

i was in your shoes a few months ago as my vertical propane smoker rusted out. I was leaning towards pit boss for the $400 mark but then I found a WI Green Mountain grill dealer that has warehouses throughout the US it sounded like. after taxes and such it was around $425 for a GMG daniel boone choice wifi. I didnt think i would need the wifi capabilities since i have a thermopro already but man thats been very slick, controlling the temps and checking the meat temps right from the phone.
I was able to smoke about 6 lbs of jerky, have not done sausage yet although thats my next project. I can get the temps as low as 150 and as high as 500
3 year warranty, and their customer service has been great so far. I had issues of temperature readings on the grill vs the thermo pro and they showed me how to calibrate it.
So far I love it

i was in your shoes a few months ago as my vertical propane smoker rusted out. I was leaning towards pit boss for the $400 mark but then I found a WI Green Mountain grill dealer that has warehouses throughout the US it sounded like. after taxes and such it was around $425 for a GMG daniel boone choice wifi. I didnt think i would need the wifi capabilities since i have a thermopro already but man thats been very slick, controlling the temps and checking the meat temps right from the phone.
I was able to smoke about 6 lbs of jerky, have not done sausage yet although thats my next project. I can get the temps as low as 150 and as high as 500
3 year warranty, and their customer service has been great so far. I had issues of temperature readings on the grill vs the thermo pro and they showed me how to calibrate it.
So far I love it
Thanks I'll look into this. Warranty and customer service is a big plus

I have a pit boss 820. Do lots of jerky on mine and can do about 12 pounds of sausage at once

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back