propane grill died...pellet grill?

I've been tempted by my brother to experiment with a short smoke, sous vide to temp, then back to the Pt Boss for a quick sear... 🤯

edit: cause i thought you were referring to a smoke "sous vide" not smoke, then sous vide. i guess i'm saying i use the smoker as the sous vide essentially

i can't recommend it enough to people

it's like 80% of my pellet grill's use

i've even smoked mule deer burgers, re frozen them, and gifted them to my in laws when they had their third:oops: baby recently. they just threw them on gas grill at their place after thawing them and said they were fantastic

smoked reverse seared mule deer burgers
IMG-5686.jpg

smoked reverse seared ribeye
IMG-5738.jpg

reverse seared mule deer roast
IMG-6022.jpg
IMG-6027.jpg

smoked reverse seared lamb chops
IMG-6427.jpg

Last edited:
I went with a Traeger a couple of months ago and I will never go back to gas. Everything tastes better, is super moist, and it doubles as another oven. Love the app so I can monitor, but it keeps temperature to within a degree or two. Takes a wee bit longer than a gas, but nothing worth complaining about.

Yeah I get a bit impatient sometimes and often eat very rare meat because of my poor planning skills. I'm not sure 45 min would be acceptable most days.

Anyone with the Pitboss just torch the hell out of meat for a meal in say 15-20 minutes?
Sure, I cooked a couple medium rare new york cut steaks the other day. Just opened the sear plates and cooked it just like I used to on the grill. Turned out fine. Only took a few minutes.

I have the Pit Boss Pro 820 from Lowes and love it. Use it all the time, sometimes I switch it up and use the old Weber Kettle charcoal grill if I really want a hot flame. When I open the grate on the pit boss for the open flame I notice ash tends to spit out and get on the meat sometimes so generally keep it closed.

It does take a little longer then propane but if i'm in that big of a rush i'm probably not going to grill. I need time to throw a few darts, have a beer or two, water the plants, etc.

Yeah I get a bit impatient sometimes and often eat very rare meat because of my poor planning skills. I'm not sure 45 min would be acceptable most days.

Anyone with the Pitboss just torch the hell out of meat for a meal in say 15-20 minutes?
I set the temp at 350 with the sear plate open and per usual!

Grant,

I have a Traeger, and it will heat up to 475 pretty quick, there just isn't hardly any smoke. That said Traeger has no direct heat option, so in hindsight, I would look at the Pit Boss grills. I end up using cast iron on the Traeger to put a sear on things and it works well. My Dad has one and it is no different than grilling on a Weber charcoal from a time perspective as long as you are good without the smoke....

Grant,
If you're just looking for a basic propane grill wo smoking to cook quick meals.... Weber!
I just got a new Weber after my first one finally died... it lasted 19yrs! My Weber heats to 600 degrees in no time, I cook things so fast I have the reverse problem of others, grill food is done before other items for dinner.

3ccv9v6l2y551.jpg

Just kidding. Have Weber, propane DCS, Big Green Egg, and Camp Chef pellet. The pellet gets used the most. Chikhen, brisket, pork roast, turkey, even bacon gets cooked on the pellet. Burgers and grilled veggies on the DCS; pizza, baked brie, and steaks on the BGE; weekend fare like hot dogs, poppers, brats and such on the Weber.

Always use good quality pellets and lump charcoal. The cheap stuff is awful.

Grant,
If you're just looking for a basic propane grill wo smoking to cook quick meals.... Weber!
I just got a new Weber after my first one finally died... it lasted 19yrs! My Weber heats to 600 degrees in no time, I cook things so fast I have the reverse problem of others, grill food is done before other items for dinner.

Weber is good stuff. I agree w/whomever said cooking on cast iron is the way to go as well. We bought a Nexgrill 5 burners w/cast iron grates and I cook all the time with it. Veggies, meats, stuffed mushrooms, etc. It's enough space to cook for 20 or for 2 and it's super easy to manage your heat.

1597785190572.png

Weber is good stuff. I agree w/whomever said cooking on cast iron is the way to go as well. We bought a Nexgrill 5 burners w/cast iron grates and I cook all the time with it. Veggies, meats, stuffed mushrooms, etc. It's enough space to cook for 20 or for 2 and it's super easy to manage your heat.

View attachment 150835
ima disagree on the grates. SS all the way, sanitation and non-stick is better. Plus not winter induced rust (though if I'm honest I never stop grilling long enough for rust for form).

Pit Boss.... keep it covered and it will last. 2 years into mine and cook everything on it! Maybe not everything but it is used 3 times a week easily. Short cook times like burgers to 24 hour brisket smoking. I love it.

Our propane grill died this spring, decided to replace it with traeger. Some of the best money we’ve spent in awhile. Really enjoy cooking and smoking with it. Get a pellet grill, you won’t regret it

I went through a similar process recently. Had a propane grill (Charbroil Tru Infrared) that I used for high temp cooking and an electric smoker (Masterbuilt) for low and slow. I loved the convenience of the electric smoker (automatically maintaining temp), but wasn’t thrilled with the quality of the smoking. I then recently discovered the Masterbuilt Gravity Feed charcoal/wood smoker. Best of both worlds - automatically controls temp via a thermostatically controlled fan and can vary temps from 170–700 degrees for both low and slow and searing. So my plan was to replace both the electric smoker and the propane grill with this new one. Everything I’ve cooked on it so far has turned out amazing - smoked brisket, ribs and pork shoulder, reverse seared tomahawk ribeye and searing burgers and steaks. The one thing I’m not happy with, though, is the warm up time/process and the amount of wood/charcoal it takes to cook anything. Like the OP, most of my searing is for 1 or 2 people, and 1/4 bag of charcoal to cook one burger or steak is a waste.

So... My plan is to keep the Masterbuilt Gravity Feed for smoking or cooking larger quantities. But I’m also going to buy another Charbroil Tru Infrared for cooking just a steak or burger or two (I relocated my other one Charbroil to my cabin). I’m not sure how that Tru Infrared thing works, but what I do know is that it makes a great seared steak or burger. It has a corrugated metal “Tru Infrared Emitter” that sits on top of the burners and below the cast iron cooking grate. It has tiny holes in it that allow heat through, and grease drops on it vs. onto the flame from the burners. This causes smoke from the grease drippings that add flavor similar to what you’d get from charcoal, but in 10+ years of using this grill (I’ve had two them), I’ve never had a single flare up. I simply crank the grill to full blast, let it get up to about 550-600 degrees, crank the flame down to about 3/4 open and throw on my steaks or burgers. Cook 3-5 mins per side depending on thickness. I get a great sear on both sides and the whole process from turning the grill on to preheat to finished product is less than 20 minutes.

My first one was a 3 burner when I was feeding a larger family, but I downsized to a 2 burner model which could easily cook for 1-4 people. Anyway, I’d highly recommend the Charbroil Tru Infrared if you decide to go with propane. They’re not exactly cheap at $250-350, but they are worth it and hold up pretty good over time. First one lasted about 10 years and was still going strong when I moved and left it. Other one is 3 years and still going strong. Only thing I ever replaced in either of them was the igniter in the older one. Was less than $10. I went with the stainless models both times.

Good luck with your research and let us know what you decide!

I’ve had some fish phenomenal meals on the traeger or other pellet grills. That being said, I love my Weber propane. I’m eating a sirloin grilled rare from it as we speak. I also have a Bradley smoker and will occasionally cold smoke a steak, pork chop, burger, etc., and then finish it on the Weber. Delicious!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back