Caribou Gear

pronghorn minimum cal?

Rooster52

What do you say is the minimum size caliber for pronghorn ?

I have heard them being taken with about everything. I am considering using my 22-250 next fall on a couple of does.
My grand daughter hasbeen very successful with her 22-250 and 60 grain partitions on whitetails.

What do you say is the minimum size caliber for pronghorn ?
My grand daughter hasbeen very successful with her 22-250 and 60 grain partitions on whitetails.

I think you've answered your own question without even knowing it.
To me the construction and type of bullet is way more important than the caliber of rifle. Your grand daughter probably would have found much different results using a 45-50 gr vmax versus the 60 gr partition out of her 22-250.

To answer your question though I wouldn't be one bit afraid to use my old .222 Rem on antelope as long as I used a quality hunting bullet, stayed within the rifles range/energy capabilities and made dang sure there wasn't much wind on the prairie that day.

I shot a couple of Wyoming does this year with a .223 using Nosler 64 grain bonded bullet. Both shot thru shoulders and went down right there. I can't fault performance, but still feel that 6mm would be a better starting place. I have used .25-06, 6.5x55 and .30-06 in the past with no complaints. I have also used 7mmBR in a pistol. The animals aren't hard to kill if you put them down with the first shot. If first hit is not lethal, they can pack a lot of lead and keep going. So, the .22's work, I just feel that there are better choices.

Minimum caliber in WY is .22 center fire with at least 60 grain bullets.

IMO, the various .243's-.284's are better suited for a wide range of conditions, range, etc. for pronghorns.

I would think a 260 rem. would be a tough round to beat for pronghorn hunting, and I'm considering one.

A 22-250 with a 60 grainer will do fine, but I have never been a believer in using the minimum caliber that you can get away with. A 6mm bullet is a better starting point for deer and antelope.

I have killed several pronghorn with my 22-250. As stated, use a quality bullet and it works well. Several dropped in their tracks. I had good luck with Barnes bullets.

I have no problem using a .22 centerfire on pronghorns with an appropriate bullet. That said, I really like my 260 Rem as those heavy, high BC bullets really buck the wind and where I hunt them it's always windy.

Buzz- What are you thinking of building?

.22 cal should work just fine with good bullets.
However I feel that without a good reason to use "the minimum" you are just playing around and if you make a mistake the animal is the one who suffers.

I use my .243 Sako Forester with 100 grain Hornady BTSP handloads and on windy days go up to my 25-06 Ruger M77 with that bullet in 117 grains. I've never had a goat go anywhere but down when hit with either caliber.

22-250 should work fine if you don't try to stretch it. I'd probably limit myself to 300 yards or so.

I use my .243 Sako Forester with 100 grain Hornady BTSP handloads and on windy days go up to my 25-06 Ruger M77 with that bullet in 117 grains. I've never had a goat go anywhere but down when hit with either caliber.

BC matters. You gain virtually nothing by "upgrading" to your 25-06.

Some buddies and I shot a Semi truck load of antelope in the 80's and 90's with .220 Swifts, and 22-250's. I use nothing else on them other than my bow. Haven't rifle hunted lopes in quit a few years though.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back