probably starting a fight...

the nikster

About complaining who drew and who didn't....
Years ago my wife and I put in for 1 hunt and were both drawn, at least 1 per year.
My daughter put in for moose her first year and was drawn. Yippeee!
Then the 'consultants/application companies' got involved.
A man used to apply near the house and read about Ariz/Nm etc. Now he enters 6,7,8 draws in as many states diluting the odds for everyone. Then when the lucky ba5tard draws tags in 3 states often times he has to choose(not always or even 50/50).
The area I used to draw had about 200 apps for 100 tags, now the # has risen to 1500/1800 apps for the same tags, that's just an additional 1400/1700 per year who, like me, have to move to another area so some bozo from Australia can hunt in my backyard.
(example)

I hear what you're saying but I dont think its fair to blame just the consultants and app. services.

Lots of things have changed how we gather information for hunting opportunities. Huge sport shows, INTERNET, etc. etc. etc.

As far as drawing the premium tags, its just never been easy. I remember when MT sheep odds were 1:20 for some very good areas. Same area today...1:75 odds.

The thing about drawing even a 50/50 tag is there are going to be people that dont draw 5 years in a row, and some that will...just statistics working.

There is still a lot of opportunity out there on general tags and very easy to draw tags...it just takes more effort...to research...and hunt those areas.

For the record, I whine about not drawing tags more than anyone, but I have no right to. I've drawn tags in a time-frame about equal to the odds (20 years to draw a goat in MT, about the same for moose, etc.). Plus, I get to hunt on very good WY general tags every year...and that isnt a bad thing.

exactly

I'm a whiner myself.
i think I spent all my luck prior to '95.
Yeah, alot of factors work the odds out of a single persons favor, my personal ax today is this one.
Tomorrow I'll hit on the producers and videographers hehehe!

I whined, until I started receiving tags, three Goat, three moose, and a sheep tag. I whimper a little but really don't put a lot into it. I drew the sheep tag when the odds was 1 in 141.

Nikster you must be talking about me. I've been the biggest complainer about Idaho but I feel I have a right to. 19 years with no tags from my own home state is definitely wearing on me. I'm very fortunate to draw out of state tags but that's just because I put my time in and now have enough points to draw some of them. Others are luck of the draw but have limited non-resident quotes so I'm really not taking away from the residents to much. Anyway as long as Idaho black lists me every year you will see this same complaint email.

Your complaint seems to be with tag consultants etc, applying lots of non-residents, big deal, it don't matter if 4000 out of staters apply for your 100 tags, fact is they can only draw up to 10% of the tags in that draw, thats pretty much standard with alot of states, the other 90% is going to residents, in which you are. This is the first yr I have drawn a tag in idaho out of 10 yrs living here, I can't say I agree with random drawing like they do, I would be more happy with a point system.

wrong!

Sorry I.B.,

I was not talking about any specific person. If you search the posts you'll find me crying yearly as well.

Gato,

While you are 'technically correct', you are specifically incorrect. Idaho law says only 10% can go to non's but often this is overlooked- want proof? Late muzzleloader hunt in 75 was historically unlimited. When numbers declined the state went to a limited draw and allowed nons as much as 34% of the tags. I called to complain and was told that since non residents historically made up 34% of the applicants that a special exception was made. I was further told this is a common happening for unlimited permits that go limited.
Now that hunt is gone. Nothing personal.

Gato,

While you are 'technically correct', you are specifically incorrect. Idaho law says only 10% can go to non's but often this is overlooked- want proof? Late muzzleloader hunt in 75 was historically unlimited. When numbers declined the state went to a limited draw and allowed nons as much as 34% of the tags. I called to complain and was told that since non residents historically made up 34% of the applicants that a special exception was made. I was further told this is a common happening for unlimited permits that go limited.
Now that hunt is gone. Nothing personal.

Your using an example I'm not aware of, nor does it exist anymore according to you....so its old news, but if you look at this yrs draw odds for deer, you can do the math yourself and see that they do abide by the 10%, unless theres a hunt where all 1st and 2nd choice resident tags are filled and the remaining tags go to non-residents. Even then if you want to crunch #'s you'll probably find non-residents are only coming in around 8-9%

how right you are!

Yep, it's old news.
I am probably too lazy to crunch the numbers just to find you may have been off by as much as 1 tenth of 1 percent;)
I'm not sure what my real issue is....
Maybe I just want more tags for me and less for EVERYONE else?
Sounds selfish and self-centered-yep, that's me!

Sorry I.B.,

I was not talking about any specific person. If you search the posts you'll find me crying yearly as well.
No biggy nikster, I figured someone would finally get tired of my complaining. I do hope that next year you draw some good tags. But I hope I do as well. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back