Pressure Treated wood for Chickens

NYSKIER

Hi guys wasn't sure the place to put this but I think this will do. The lady and I just got some chickens for the first time they are just headed out into the coop this week and I'm currently in the process of working on a run for them to hang in when we are not home to let them free range. I'm looking into building it using pressure treated wood for the posts however I've read some things here and there that "bad stuff" can leach into the soil and is harmful to the chickens and can get in the eggs. Is what I'm reading people just going crazy and looking to much into this or will I be safe. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for redwood and I don't want to have to reconstruct the thing in a few years. The boss "my future wife in a month" is on some chicken forum somewhere so she is asking as well but I wanted to see if anyone had any input.

Thanks!

I don't think you can get the old fashioned arsenic treated lumber for residential use anymore. The 'new' treated lumber (like Yellawood) is supposed to be an "environmentally preferable product" and is labeled safe for use around plants and animals.

Just use the new yellow stuff, it won't last long but better than nothing. Long enough for a chicken coop & run.
I used to have creosote & such I had from construction, but all that stuff is toxic. I am a walking wonder. So far.
Worked around mines & slopped gallons of creosote, sprayed finishes , brushed redlead paints & removed them.

Black locust is good and can be scrounged up cheaply if it is available in your part of the world. I've sworn off on pressure treated wood whenever possible due to carpenter bees, it doesn't slow them down any, at least not on Goergia.

We have used pressure treated lumber for all our chicken, quail, and chukar pens. There is not a cost effective substitute for ground contact lumber and I believe most of the truly dangerous chemicals are no longer used (thanks California). The other option you have is to buy directly oak or something similar from a lumber mill and build it up on blocks so you don't have to use pressure treated material.

Awesome thanks for all the input guys we'll go ahead and keep building! Hopefully I don't have to deal with the carpenter bees I would no like that

I used pressure treated wood in my coop and run for everything that could be exposed to the elements and untreated on the inside for things like roost bars. Thats how I found it to be recommended in some of the "backyard/hobby" chicken books i read

Just don't put any netting or barrier on the top of the run and your chickens will turn over frequently enough that they wont accumulate toxic chemicals.

The hawks will thank you!

Seems there is enough solid advice provided though I concur with others. No concern. We have a rolling four hens in our coup framed with PT wood. Did the same review with others pre build including doc and vet. Mostly the same advice as here.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back