Prairie Chickens?

Cootmeurer

Driving to CO for 3rd rifle - mule deer and will be passing through W NE and NE CO - and thought I might be able to double up and get my first chicken.

Any suggestions? One state better than the other? Current condition of the flock, good hatch year?

And, seeing as my brothers dogs don’t tolerate other dogs I can’t bring mine, so this will be me walking them up. Any suggestions on types of cover to focus on?

Background - I head out to NoDak nearly every year and have plenty of experience shooting other birds (sharpies, Huns, etc…) and sorta have the difference in cover preferences figure out

Driving to CO for 3rd rifle - mule deer and will be passing through W NE and NE CO - and thought I might be able to double up and get my first chicken.

Any suggestions? One state better than the other? Current condition of the flock, good hatch year?

And, seeing as my brothers dogs don’t tolerate other dogs I can’t bring mine, so this will be me walking them up. Any suggestions on types of cover to focus on?

Background - I head out to NoDak nearly every year and have plenty of experience shooting other birds (sharpies, Huns, etc…) and sorta have the difference in cover preferences figure out

Sageflats that butt up to alfalfa fields with water near

I shot the only one I’ve ever seen in CO a few years ago in Sedgwick county.

Per rumors (some from people I trust, others just rumors), they have/had decent populations up by lake mcconaughy in NE.

there is a known, decent population down by Wray, but they exist only on private and I’ve seen most of the WIAs around there and never turned one up. but if I wanted one in CO, that’s where I’d look.

Thanks for the info so far. Starting to piece it together and come up with a very vague plan. It’s a start

Spoke with a state upland biologist and got some more ideas.

Back