Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Prairie burns

Around where I live it's called sport burning season. You can probably figure out why. mtmuley

Around where I live it's called sport burning season. You can probably figure out why. mtmuley
A lot of people here burn on days when I’d never dream of it. Not that that it makes it any safer, but I’m certified to do burns. Preparation is key. We keep good fire breaks and have lots of water on hand. File a burn plan and check the weather frequently for good burn windows.

I used to work for an outfit that did them for about4-6 weeks in the spring. Best part of the job is working with a good crew on burns.

Attachments

• 73D75F86-3D62-4B60-836B-DAABD8FD2323.jpeg
    73D75F86-3D62-4B60-836B-DAABD8FD2323.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • AAD5F410-AAC6-4EA5-9DB7-0AF55F15EC1C.jpeg
    AAD5F410-AAC6-4EA5-9DB7-0AF55F15EC1C.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • F7080008-0C4B-4589-851D-C890859A8952.jpeg
    F7080008-0C4B-4589-851D-C890859A8952.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
  • C7AC88E4-7789-44E9-AE68-FD7A5ACCE1F0.jpeg
    C7AC88E4-7789-44E9-AE68-FD7A5ACCE1F0.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • B6A03399-576B-4D96-AA0E-E07A0D278E96.jpeg
    B6A03399-576B-4D96-AA0E-E07A0D278E96.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 17
When I was growing up, we burned our garden (~ football field) every spring. Fed us through the winter, with the ducks, rabbits, squirrels, and geese I shot. Funny how hunger (and a Steven's single shot) honed your aim.

I burned so many ditches and hillsides with my grandpa, dad and uncles as a kid all in the name of weed control, to prevent future uncontrolled fires and brush clearing. In reality I think we actually did it for fun. It probably explains my need to constantly mess with campfires

We burn our front prairie annually, and I used to burn lots of other prairies, mostly a University owned remnant. I think it is way too early for burning, personally. Let those warm season grasses warm up and the woodies invest some resources above ground before singeing them.

I would really like to burn our timber however. Never done a good job of that.

Can't find a single picture after close to 50 yrs of prairie burns. How can that be?

We burn our front prairie annually, and I used to burn lots of other prairies, mostly a University owned remnant. I think it is way too early for burning, personally. Let those warm season grasses warm up and the woodies invest some resources above ground before singeing them.

I would really like to burn our timber however. Never done a good job of that.

Can't find a single picture after close to 50 yrs of prairie burns. How can that be?
Everything that we have been taught says to stagger your burns. Don’t burn them at the same time each year or whatever your burn cycle is for the most diversity. Even throw in some fall burns too.

Timber burns are difficult. Fall is when we do best and a little bit more wind than you’d like for a good prairie burn helps to get that fire moving.

Everything that we have been taught says to stagger your burns. Don’t burn them at the same time each year or whatever your burn cycle is for the most diversity. Even throw in some fall burns too.

Timber burns are difficult. Fall is when we do best and a little bit more wind than you’d like for a good prairie burn helps to get that fire moving.
I'd agree, but realistically, prairies burned almost always in the late summer. I've never been able to do one of those, but I would certainly like to. Very little flame from what I've seen.

I strongly dislike fall burns because they are hell on the small critters. I like to leave something above ground for the winter cover.

I'd agree, but realistically, prairies burned almost always in the late summer. I've never been able to do one of those, but I would certainly like to. Very little flame from what I've seen.

I strongly dislike fall burns because they are hell on the small critters. I like to leave something above ground for the winter cover.
All important things to think about!

but realistically, prairies burned almost always in the late summer.
Also, under the right conditions prairies can burn quite often in the winter. When we have really dry summers that bleed over into a snowless winter we get a good amount of winter burns. An extended drought can lead to a handful of years those winter burns.

Also, under the right conditions prairies can burn quite often in the winter. When we have really dry summers that bleed over into a snowless winter we get a good amount of winter burns. An extended drought can lead to a handful of years those winter burns.
We don’t get to do many winter burns, but i have burnt wetlands in the winter when they were solid to get equipment on but no snow.

I think Brent is referring to historically burns were late summer because they were caused by lightning strikes on the prairie.

Yea, I was just tacking that on. Just something folks overlook at times if they’ve never done winter burns or seen them in person.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back