Powerstroke cure

DRAFTSTUD

I have a 2005 Ford F250 with the 6.0. It ran great until last year when in the mornings it would studder, I would get out of the throttle and it would shift to the next gear. After it warmed up everything was fine for the day.
I finally took it to a Transmission shop because I thought it was a Transmission issue as I had around 130K on the truck. Well they said yes we need to rebuild the Tranny, bend over. They did that and the following morning after I picked it up, same chit! Well everyone needs to spend $3K on a tranny they didn't need!!!!!!!!!!!!
So now they are saying "you need to replace your Injectors" BS! I was not ready to take advice from the same people who misread my tranny. So I researched the problem and it kept coming back to a problem they call "Stiction". (Actual Ford Paper) The Powerstroke uses a High Pressure Oil Rail to actuate the Injectors and after a time Varnish will develop on the parts of the injectors causing the studder on cold starts. After it warms up everything is fine.
With a gas burner or a Dodge or Chevy you can clean the injectors with something in the fuel, but my problem was with the oil side of the injection system. After reading alot of the Diesel Forums one product that everyone was using was called Rev-X. A gas burner used 4 ozs and a Diesel takes 8 ozs. I ordered the Rev-X and that evening I put the 2-4 oz bottles in my truck and ran it for 20 minutes. Next morning I am really crossing my fingers, pull out on the main road and I drive normally without letting up to allow the truck to shift gears........I'll be dang, It worked.
This morning it was even better and it has quieted down the engine also. If you have ever had a need for an injector and are dreading the cost, try this and see what it does for you. John (I am a non-paid spokesman for Rev-x) LOL:D

I had a 2005 F350 6.0 Diesel for a work truck. Same exact problems with warming up. When I would pull out of the work parking lot I'd piss a lot of people off because it would not get up above 30 mph for at least a half mile.

One afternoon I pulled out and it did the same crap until it was like the motor let go. I was laying down a white cloud of smoke so bad you couldn't see behind you. The turbo went out and sucked every bit of oil out the exhaust pipe. We took it to the local Ford dealer and I told them about cold starting problems and taking off. They said they would fix it and replaced the turbo and some other stuff. $3500 later I picked up the truck and the thing couldn't get out of it's own way in the parking lot. Luckily the company moved that truck to another rep and it's still plagued with issues.

John, I am stupified any time something works out for me mechanically. We just had an 8 grand inframe overhaul on our big International delivery truck...2 injectors and an inliine fuel sensor later (another grand) and it's finally functional.

Last edited:
Draftstud I have a dodge 3500 with similar problems. Do you think the fuel additive will fix my problem or do I need the oil treatment too?

Draftstud I have a dodge 3500 with similar problems. Do you think the fuel additive will fix my problem or do I need the oil treatment too?

They have a Kit that comes with both the Oil and Fuel treatment, that might be the way for you to go. I am not a mechanic and that is why I went to the Tranny Shop, look how much $ I could have saved. If you do get it, let us know what it does for you. John
http://revxoil.com/applications.asp?A=Pickup Truck&B=Diesel

I was told by an old diesel mechanic to add power transmission fluid to my fuel when I fill up. with the new refined diesel it helps lubricate and also cleans. So I have been doing that for over 10 years on my 1999 7.3 ford diesel, 155,000 miles on it.

Not sure if it actually does anything??

John

WW, Not a good idea as it builds up ash in crank case, causing more problems down the road.
I use Amsoil Diesel Concentrate, burns clean and removes deposits.
Since the low sulfer fuels (thank you EPA) lubing and cleaning injectors has become a real problem.
PM me for for more info or go to amsoil.com, click online store, click fuel additives scroll to Diesel Concentrate.

Last edited:
+1 on the Amsoil stuff. I'm not saying that because I'm a dealer.;) It really does work.

Hey John I just spent $2500 on axle seals and new oil cooler and some driveline transfer case crap. I'm thinking that owning a diesel isn't what its all cracked up to be:eek:

as a mechanic over 27 years now and have a whole fleet of p o s 6.0 powerstrokes to work on,injecter stiction is defineatly a major problem in the 6.0 fords,if its bad it will problably need injectors and or ICP pressure switch posibly(injector control pressure} on r h vave cover area,,,only way to tell for sure is to hook it up on scan computer,,,if its not too bad yet there is a oil additive for stiction that is called hot shots secret,,,there # is 1-800-341-6516,,,there additive replaces 2 qts of your oil and can drastically inprove your stiction problem,,,{maybe},,,6.0 also tend to have major EGR problems too,,,so good luck.there is also a major Ficum module reboot that it may need also,{fuel injector control module}but thats a reprogramming issue thats common on these.

if you have a dodge cummins you dont have the injector stiction issue,but there is commonly more of an egr issue on the newer 6.7 cummins,,,posible stuck turbo vanes,,,again hard to tell without hooking it up.

John, the first problem is it is the 6.OH NO. that was by far Navstars worst engine built for Ford. Second, you have engine studder and the shop replaced the transmission? :rolleyes:, plus for the money you could have nearly put in a fully built Sun Coast or other aftermarket performance transmission able to hold 800+ HP.

My Cummins has delayed shift if I don't let it sit for a bit in neutral during warm up (pump doesn't actuate while in park), but 48RE is by far the dodges weak link until the new 6 speed Asin tranny was started being put in the Dodges.

I run Howes meaner cleaner, more so in the winter months due to the lack of injector lube in the winter fuel. I would suggest going on one of the powerstroke websites and ask for suggestions on a good reliable diesel performance shop in your area. Stealerships are not only hard on the pocket book, but are also tend to not have the best techs. I have never taken my truck to a dealership unless it was a warranty issue.

I have never heard of varnish on injectors since that is generally a gas issue, but again I don't spend any time on the powerstroke forums. But that engine is notorious for a plethora of problems, really hurt Ford's brand hence them now building their own. The 7.3 was a great engine. My best suggestion is to find a GOOd diesel shop to be sure.

2001 Dodge Cummins for sale in Three Forks. Just did the lifter/injector replacement at 230,000 miles.The conundrum is that we pay more for diesel trucks, but hope to save money because of better mileage,..however one better stow that money away to pay for more costly repairs.
Any folks regionally looking for a good Dodge can view mine on Craigslist -Bozeman.2001 Dodge for $9000 w/topper and lumber rack.Any Hunttalker with more than 1 posting can take it home for $8000,but I keep the topper/rack.

Good timing for this thread.:D

I tried the Hotshot Stuff, did not work for me. Lawnboy, I feel your pain! I think my major problem is I live 8.3 miles from where I park my truck at the office, that has to be hard on a Diesel being used on short hops. Now that it is not in warrenty I may do the EGR Delete and there is a connector that is prone to fail on the High Output Oil Pump that they make an upgrade on, might as well do that also.
I used the word Varnish to describe a build up on the injector, not really sure other than it clogs stuff up! LOL. John

My work partner has a 2006 [powerjoke, 6.0 for a work truck...same exact problems.

Also, anyone that buys a diesel for the mileage has been sold a bill of goods. We've NEVER done better than 16 empty and pulling a trailer never better than 13, most times a bit worse than that.

With the price of diesel, plus adding in the initial cost of investment in a diesel...theres no way you'll ever break even on the mileage argument. I hear lots of people making outlandish claims of 22-25 MPG with a full size truck...I dont believe it, much akin to the tooth fairy, easter bunny, and santa claus.

I personally dont think a diesel is worth the extra price, effort, and costs to maintain, unless you do some serious miles on the highway pulling heavy trailers.

When I started pulling Tractors and 32' Horse Trailers is when I got my F-250. And I have always heard those same claims on mileage, BS. John

Best day of my trucks life was when I drained the Amsoil out of it and went back to Delo 400.
'99 7.3 with 303,000 miles. One set of brakes, 2 sets of ball joints and one clutch. Change the oil every 5 or 10,000 miles and it just keeps humming along.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back