Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

POW options

the nikster

I will be hunting POW with a couple of Hunt-talkers this September. A couple of the others will be bear hunting while 2 of us will be hunting deer. I will let the others announce themselves if they so desire.
I expect to have to get pretty high in September to have an opportunity to take a mature buck. My question is, North, South, East, or West? We will have access to a vehicle so we can get to where the deer are but, does the North end get hammered? Or maybe the West side? I am not worried about crowds, I just want to find a place that has maybe put up with less pressure.
Also, after we are successful, we want to do some fishing( we will also have access to a small boat). We will be located on the east side at or near Thorne bay. Wiser to target fresh water for fish? Or salt water In a 14/16' boat? Love to catch some salmon, is that realistic in a small boat in mid September?
I will also have a couple of days in Ketchikan after the hunt to spin my tires. Can somebody suggest a place to store my meat to keep it frozen for 2 days?
I would also like to take a boat ride or maybe even do some more fishing, any suggestions there? Most of the outfits won't add me to a trip so I would probably be looking for a private individual who would like to take me fishing if I pitch in, not a guide, just two friends fishing? Maybe 1 or 2 of the others will wish to go fishing in Ketchikan as well, that could open up more options.
Anyway, any thoughts from the brain trust?

Nick, I got us a little imfo on some mountains to try.I may stay an extra day to fish in Ketchikan

Nick: Headed to POW for the first time this spring. I have been told and have checked into the hotels in Ketchikan...... The Best Western has freezer space and they allow you to use the freezer while you stay at the hotel. We will only be there one night and hopefully some bear and lots of fish will be in the freezer. My friend in Coffman Cove says there are lots of deer in that area ..... I do not know this personally.

I put in for the fall Bear tag and was hoping to hunt deer also, however, they drew my bear tag fro next spring as a second choice. I'll let you know what I see near Coffman Cove for bear and deer numbers. I'm jealous of that deer hunt.

good luck to all
the dog

Bring all the deer meat home that you can! IMO, Sitka's eat as well as any deer I've had.

+1 on the Best Western.... There are some Boat Rental Places that you may look into but then you will have to provide your own bait and tackle. I've also heard mixed results on the rental places there.... In my experience you can get a chart or map, find some structure and usually catch Rockfish and other bottom fish relatively easy on your own and with the possibility of Lings and BUTTS. I know they fish Crabs not far from shore in that area so you may be able to find someone with a crab pot you can use to try and catch some tasty critters. If it were me I'd just hire a charter for saltwater, by the time you go thru getting a rental boat, rental gear, bait, research places to go you will be miles ahead just spending the $$$ to have a pro take you out and slay them..... I mean heck you already spent the $$$$ to get there, why not spend a little more to have a great experience. You will likley be early for any sort of Salmon run if you are going in the spring. We are doing the same type of thing you are but in a year or 2 so I'd be interested in your experience. I've done quite a bit of research on that area so feel free to PM me and I might be able to help a bit more.

Looking forward to hunting, fishing, and sharing a camp with you Nick! As 1_pointer stated bring every bit of venison back with you. I took three off of Kodiak Island in 2007 and it was more than worth the extra baggage fees. Best venison there is IMO! Wish we could stay extra in Ketchikan with you both but it's back to the grind for the three of us. Stay in touch!

Talking with Jason the other night about salt water fishing and he told me guys have already brought in 140 lb halibut from the boats we will be using. Of course I'm all for a fully guided salt water charter for halibut if anyone else wants to.

Find out a price Robert,think I can find an extra couple dollars.This Ak stuff is killing my elk addiction though.I may just have to take the fall off this year and go hunt

Saltwater - $250.00 per person per day
(4-person minimum, 6-person max)

The MV Alpha & Omega is a 26' cabin cruiser. Its nearly new and kept in immaculate condition. It includes top quality rods, reels, bait, tackle and electronics. Days are at least 8 hours on the water, sometimes longer (unless you decide to come back early). We have the range to reach the furthermost pinnacles that rarely get fished. We target halibut, King and Silver salmon, ling cod, yellow eye, and rockfish.

I would do that trip if you book for the tailend of the trip.I have to kill a blacktail first

I think I would do it too, towards the end, for the same reason. Better look into some fish boxes too!

I agree with the both of you! Fish prep area and boxes are available at Adventures Alaska Lodge if we need them.

Any mountain on POW has bucks in the alpine region in Sept. Sometimes the aren't right on top, but often in bowls and on the fringe that time of the year. Glass is important as they lose that orange tint in Sept. The north end would be good, but keep in mind they've closed a ton of roads on POW, so make sure you have an updated map before setting your heart on a mountain. The mountains around Thorne Bay are good, some of them not too tuff to get up on. I live here and I have hunts not happen as I show up and they've closed the damn road that summer. The closed a lot of roads on the N end I hear. The harder/longer the hike is, the more bucks you have. It's cooler in Sept so some of the more nocturnal bucks will stay out a little bit later. The later in Sept it gets, the more bucks start leaving the alpine region. But like I said, pick a mountain that has lots of room above 2000ft, get a good tent, spotter, binos, and spend a few days up there looking things over with your eyes.

Day hunting can be a frustrating deal if mature bucks are on the menu. Day hunting is my worst nightmare in Sept as it never seems to work out for me. Camping up top is by far the best way to go for that kind of hunt. Bucks appear before last light, and give you an hour or two in the morning. Any mountain worth hunting is at least a 2 hour hike up, no trail. (if you are in good shape)

Good luck.

I agree with the both of you! Fish prep area and boxes are available at Adventures Alaska Lodge if we need them.

I did a fishing trip with Adventure Alaska last year, and it was a total kick. I would be interested to hear how you do deer hunting, as I talked with the owner about doing the exact trip you are doing on my nest visit. thanks, and have fun

We'll certainly pass on here how our hunting and fishing went.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back