Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Portable Power Chargers

Bowhiker

I'm curious if any of you carry a portable battery charger in your pack and if so, which one. I've always used my Montana GPS paired with the OnXMaps chip, however, I'm using the OnXMaps phone app more often now and will use it as my primary GPS device this year. I know that airplane mode saves the battery and there are other ways to save on battery, I'm just looking for something to recharge the battery if I'm out for several days at a time.

Durability, weight, # of charges, and size are all factors. I'm looking for the right balance of each in what other guys are using.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

I purchased this one with a solar recharge feature, takes a long time to charge off solar power, typically I just plug it in to charge but have done a solar charge a time or two. I have never used it seriously in the field, just a couple of long weekends and left it sit on the table outside to charge, a full day didn't recharge it to 100% but a cell phone can get at least a couple of charges off of it before needing to be fully recharged.

https://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-1500...1467919543&sr=8-4&keywords=solar+battery+pack

I'll suggest staying away from solar battery packs because i just don't think the technology is there to make them viable options yet. I bought one for a 10 day pack trip a couple summers ago and was never able to get it to completely recharge and about midway through the trip I struggled to get much more than 10% battery charge. Buy a 20000+mAh battery pack and put it in a dry sack and expect it to give a handful of charges before it dies.

Anker E5 is what I use.
Aron has a new one he's trying but I don't remember the name. My next one is probably the E7.

Thanks guys! It was almost overwhelming going through the different options online. Glad to have you all as a resource for these things.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back