Population Growth and Hunting in Rocky Mountain States

Obviously exaggerated my friend, but do you think that FWP does not have wolf biologists?? That "specialized" group of bear biologists who accomplished nothing that I mentioned before were 6 in number. The problem with these government agencies is that the employee's pay is in no way tied to results, or results in a timely manner. What if those biologists were told if the bears don't stay where you plant them, or if someone is attacked by those bears in the cabinet mountains, you all are fired? I promise that they would stop wasting time and operating on idealistic fantasies or trying to play God with our wildlife like they did in that instance, unless they new it was absolutely essential to do something like that. Like I said, lets start with a public and readily available accounting of where each and every dollar is used in these depts. I have not only worked for the forest service but also for the department of health and human services and the waste in that department was no different. You could have gotten rid of about 50 employees that I worked with and only kept the productive/motivated ones and told them to produce results or you don't get paid and the efficiency would have skyrocketed.

The Cabinets are a distinct population segment and augmentation was viewed as a way to get to a delistable population faster. So, in essence, they had a very good reason to look at transplanting and if it would have worked, then there would have been yet another step closer to delisting of that population, and the NCDE.

So, the question I am left with is, how many people are moving out west with the main reason being hunting opportunities?

I can’t imagine that it is that many.

I imagine the conversation with my ex would have went something like this:

Me- “Sweetie, what do you think about moving to Montana?”

Ex- “ Why, did your company ask you to transfer?”

Me- “No, I would have to take a pay cut, and the cost of living is much higher but I could get an elk and a mule deer tag every year.”

Ex- “ You already spend the better part of 4 months out of every year in the woods you silly SOB”.

The End.

So, the question I am left with is, how many people are moving out west with the main reason being hunting opportunities?

I can’t imagine that it is that many.

I imagine the conversation with my ex would have went something like this:

Me- “Sweetie, what do you think about moving to Montana?”

Ex- “ Why, did your company ask you to transfer?”

Me- “No, I would have to take a pay cut, and the cost of living is much higher but I could get an elk and a mule deer tag every year.”

Ex- “ You already spend the better part of 4 months out of every year in the woods you silly SOB”.

The End.

Wrong approach.

You: "Man, these summers are just getting hotter & stickier."

Wife: "Ugh. I know, but luckily we have AC."

You: "Wouldn't a little place in the Mountains be nice? Just a little cabin, next to a babbling brook, where you can read outside all summer."

Her: "I'm suspicious, yet intrigued."

You: "Well, I'm the man of the house, so I say we spend a few weeks up there this year looking and playing around."

Her: "I could see spending a couple of weeks where it's cool & you don't swim through the air."

You: "I'll book the tickets."

Wrong approach.

You: "Man, these summers are just getting hotter & stickier."

Wife: "Ugh. I know, but luckily we have AC."

You: "Wouldn't a little place in the Mountains be nice? Just a little cabin, next to a babbling brook, where you can read outside all summer."

Her: "I'm suspicious, yet intrigued."

You: "Well, I'm the man of the house, so I say we spend a few weeks up there this year looking and playing around."

Her: "I could see spending a couple of weeks where it's cool & you don't swim through the air."

You: "I'll book the tickets."
No wonder I have no luck with long term relationships with the opposite sex. No tact.

What has attracted so much NR attention to western states? Please tell me what you think the answer to that is?
I find it laughable that people think all the population growth and interest in the Rocky Mountain states is all attributable to hunting media. And that cutting NR tags is going to magically lead to fewer people in the woods.

Some people seem to have lost touch with the outside world. Look around. People in general value outdoor recreation, proximity to open space, clean air, clean water for themselves and their families. They want a simpler lifestyle in a smaller town with better environments to raise their kids and where their money can buy a higher quality of life. They will keep coming, regardless of tags or hunting shows. But plenty of them will hunt, too.

NR attention to western states hunting is what I am saying
Maybe that’s the problem. I’m not sure what you’re saying. First it was NR hunters, then its FWP, then its new resident hunters, then its hunting media. Can’t follow the argument.

But that’s ok. One hour til long weekend of turkey chasin’ commences. I’m sure it will all be solved when I come back 🤣

Don’t forget XC skiers. But still no mention of legislative involvement, to include a recently added black powder season.

Maybe that’s the problem. I’m not sure what you’re saying. First it was NR hunters, then its FWP, then its new resident hunters, then its hunting media. Can’t follow the argument.

But that’s ok. One hour til long weekend of turkey chasin’ commences. I’m sure it will all be solved when I come back 🤣
Good luck, I promise not to troll you on insta for posting your success, despite the fact that your post will be devastating to Montana turkey hunting opportunity.

This thread may give me an opportunity to unload something that’s been in my drawer for a while now.

If anybody wants to express their displeasure with the changes, The first 4 people that want one of these, let me know and DM me your address.

Must agree to display it on your vehicle, raft, horse trailer, cooler, etc

View attachment 180556
Whiskey Tango ATV decor
AE2F2AF2-6FFF-4FFE-AD99-BB1484C2D3B5.jpeg270E5EF6-B5F8-44DC-B5F5-F278D044B962.jpeg

I think a lot of us share the frustration. The way I look at is is like the economics of a Gym membership. I want everyone to join and become a member, but would prefer they not actually go to the gym. Maybe the last year is like a January in my gym membership analogy?

It gets hard to define who "we" is in your comment about not wanting people. Who has better perspective on MT? Big Fin as a transplant because he moved to MT 30yrs ago or the 20yr old guy who is a "native Montanan" because he born here? Where is the line drawn?
Like I said, I think a lot of us who live here share your frustration at times, but so do those who live in CO and UT and AZ and CA and see people moving there. We need to work together to make the pie bigger.
The MT version of who is more woke, eh

Still dodging my question, so I assume you have no answer.

How about this one then...Curious how you absolve yourself from the blame you bestow on Randy and others? I see wilderness athletic content, western guide training, all kinds of hunting-related social media, outdoors print media in your repertoire.

Not that I really expect an answer. But you sort of lack any credibility on the matter IMO.
hypocrasy.gif

The Cabinets are a distinct population segment and augmentation was viewed as a way to get to a delistable population faster. So, in essence, they had a very good reason to look at transplanting and if it would have worked, then there would have been yet another step closer to delisting of that population, and the NCDE.
I'm not sure facts matter to some, but your point is a good one. There are plenty of publications online regarding this stuff. I don't think scientists would conclude it was a failure like @BlazerBeam summarized. Also, people tend to be an impediment in the grizzly work as well. That will just get worse.

"Ten female bears and eight male bears were moved from the Flathead River to the Cabinet Mountains during 2005–19. Three of these individuals died during their first year from human related causes. Two were illegally shot and one was struck by a train. Eight bears left the target area for augmentation, but three returned."

http://igbconline.org/cabinet-yaak/
https://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/es/species/mammals/grizzly/CabYaak2019annualreport.pdf

Was scrolling thru tv channels just now and there is a Mountain Home search show....this episode a MT couple are looking for a Central Coast CA home.....LOL
Acreage,views,on a hill/mtn. In their budget.
I know the area well. I know 2 of the 3 homes they look at.
They get a deal on the well known McVictorian in the coast range,74 ac. Lots of water. Springs.The road to the home slid 3 times while they built.....There is a reason there is not a tree on those slopes too,the wind.Or fires.
Incredable views,when it's not socked in fog.
It was so funny & ironic. They sold a place in Bozeman to move there. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back