Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Poll: Would you shoot a doe with a fawn?

Would you shoot a doe with a fawn standing there?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

406LIFE

Biological concerns and legality (may vary state to state) aside, just a personal ethics dilemma. I was just curious how many would shoot a doe with a fawn standing nearby? This came up in conversation about depredation hunts and population management.

Only if I had a very good opportunity to take both.....is that a conditional maybe?

It wouldn't be legal if it weren't almost 100% biologically sound. The anti's would be so far up our rears if it weren't. So, I don't understand how this is an issue. If it is some moral quandary for you, I would be happy to hear an explanation, and I won't judge either way.

No. I’ve shot does in the past then had the fawn walk out later. Relatives then shot the fawn later in the year. I choose to avoid shooting does with fawns because I’d rather the fawn still have its mom to give it at least some chance not to get shot. Also because game is readily available where I hunt and finding one without a fawn is just a matter of patience. I don’t have problems with people taking them or even fawns if they need the meat and especially if it’s not as easy to be picky on what they shoot.

Yes. Only caveat is if it's early in the season and the fawn is pretty small. Then I'll probably pass. Or, if it's later in the season and the fawn offer a better shot, I might shoot the fawn. They sure are tasty. My biggest hesitation about shooting a fawn is it can be hard to tell if it's a button buck at times.

I was very tempted to shoot a piebald fawn I saw last season while hunting. She was little bitty and I doubt survived the tough winter but I will be back to see.

I passed last years doe the first time I had the opportunity as a fawn stepped out of the underbrush just as I was clicking off the crossbow safety. 6 weeks later I shot her as she came down the forest trail where I was setup in ambush, and no fawn in sight. I later figured out it to be her due to her unusual hock anatomy.

Preserving evidence of sex included releasing milk from her udder which did cause my stomach to drop in disappointment. A little google search showed that at the time of the year the fawn should be able to make its way in the world on its own.

Early season archery, small fawn, spotted fawn, or can tell fawn is male - no

Winter, large fawn, have tags to kill both, depredation hunts - yes

I've shot many fawns. They are delicious! I can't recall a time when I've killed the doe and left the fawn live.

The very first time I had an opportunity to kill deer it was a doe and triplet fawns. I couldn't bring myself to kill any of them. 5 minutes later they walked across to the neighbor's property and the doe was killed.

I wouldn't. Because deer herds are struggling here, I choose not to shoot does for the same reason I don't shoot hen ducks and sage grouse. Even if it's legal, I choose not to do it. My desire to have breeding does is greater than my desire to have the doe.

Maybe the fawn would make it, but maybe not having it's mom around would make it more susceptible to predation or starvation. I'll wait and find a buck, but that's just me.

I'll pass a doe with fawns or a cow elk with calves during early seasons. During the late December Muzzle Loader season, a fawn often wears my tag. Last December, an elderly friend and former hunting mentor who cannot get out to hunt any more, specifically asked me for a fawn if I had the chance. He and his wife were very pleased when I pulled into their yard with one in the back of the truck.

Never had a problem with it in mid November. It wouldn’t be my first choice, but there were times where it was that or no venison for a year.

I’ve personally got no problem with it. In areas where plenty of Doe tags are available it’s all about herd management. At the end of the day killing a fawn is just one more mouth off the ground and one more step toward our herd management goals. One downside to fawn harvest is most people shooting fawns on the properties I hunt/manage have a very difficult time discerning buck from doe fawns. I see more pros than cons overall. Most people I know who are against it have emotions tied into their reasoning.

I’ve personally got no problem with it. In areas where plenty of Doe tags are available it’s all about herd management. At the end of the day killing a fawn is just one more mouth off the ground and one more step toward our herd management goals. One downside to fawn harvest is most people shooting fawns on the properties I hunt/manage have a very difficult time discerning buck from doe fawns. I see more pros than cons overall. Most people I know who are against it have emotions tied into their reasoning.
All that being said, my state has a 6 deer limit so it’s a total different ball game than areas where you get one deer a year and herds are struggling. I skipped 3 years once shooting any antlerless on my home ground because we had a severe population drop due to disease. Every situation is different

Without a second thought. The science seems to back up that the fawns are plenty viable on their own.

Also (not trying to argue) I feel there are far fewer fawnless does than there are people who only shoot fawnless does. They just don’t always have the fawns by their side.
If it’s just an optics thing and it makes you feel better not having the fawn nearby, I certainly understand.

We are pretty over populated with here. Generally we have 20-30 does on our little 40 acres in the winter. Depending on the crop year and snow pack we can’t support that much by February. If I have a tag in Nov/Dec and doe fawn walks out, it’s in trouble.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back