Poll: Would you shoot a doe with a fawn?

Would you shoot a doe with a fawn standing there?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
A dead deer is a dead deer. Doesn't matter if it is young or old the death is the same. I think in most cases the only mortality issue with killing the doe is the fawn is still young and dumb and easily killable by another hunter. Predators and making it through the winter isn't an issue where I hunt.

Yes, but not early in the year because I'm generally waiting for a mature buck and also because shooting a doe or fawn just seems too easy sometimes. I don't shoot mature bucks very often tho, so I do often times end up with a doe. If I needed the fill the freezer badly, and I had a doe with a fawn in front of me, I'd probably just shoot the fawn. I did shoot a doe with a fawn once and the I had to yell at the fawn to get it run away and I felt really really bad. I had cried one time since my last wrestling match senior year in high school 7 years earlier, and that morning in the woods made 2. :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

No but I live in mule deer country. I'm not even supportive of shooting mule deer does without fawns. Elk and whitetails are a different story though.

Seen a mule deer doe with a set of twins get drilled by a vehicle middle of July. Those two fawns hung around that area and last time I seen them was end of October healthy as could be. Looked like any other fawn that time of the year. By the time our rifle season rolls around I have no problem dumping a doe that might have a fawn. It’s funny when guys shoot and doe out of a herd it always happens to be a “dry doe”

I cull a couple whitetail does off of my place sometimes. I can look them over pretty good and usually kill one I know doesn't have fawns. Wife's rule, not mine. mtmuley

I cull a couple whitetail does off of my place sometimes. I can look them over pretty good and usually kill one I know doesn't have fawns. Wife's rule, not mine. mtmuley
When you have the opportunity to look them over for a long period of time I agree. When there’s a group of 20 does you stumble on and drop one guys always claim it was a dry doe

I don't have any issues shooting a doe if it has a fawn with it. Hopefully I have a few more tags and get to shoot the fawn too. Personally, I prefer to shoot the fawn, or 2 fawns, or 3 fawns if I have the tags.

I have to say that anyone who has shot a doe and then watched a fawn bleat and hang around an area tends to associate that with an emotion of grief or loss. This can definitely color a hunter's personal decision to pass on a doe.

That was my experience. When I was 16 (and couldn't resist a shot for anything) I shot a doe with a very small fawn at under 20 yards. Despite the boom, the fawn just stood there, not knowing what to do, without the sense to run away. I shot it as well just to end the situation for both of us. Just ended it for the fawn, b/c I still felt like shit. After seeing the two hanging in the barn, my dad told me not to kill any more foxes.

Personal preference. I don't judge those that do. If it's a large fawn, I'll take the mom. If it's a late season fawn, I'll let both walk.

Similarly, there's a local doe that is very tame and will let you get almost close enough to touch her. Come deer season, I have no interest in shooting her, but the one that runs like a crazed maniac as soon as she sees me . . . that's the one I'm after. If it acts like prey, I'll treat it like prey. If it acts like a pet, it just doesn't do anything for me.

I wouldn't. Because deer herds are struggling here, I choose not to shoot does for the same reason I don't shoot hen ducks and sage grouse. Even if it's legal, I choose not to do it. My desire to have breeding does is greater than my desire to have the doe.

Maybe the fawn would make it, but maybe not having it's mom around would make it more susceptible to predation or starvation. I'll wait and find a buck, but that's just me.
I 100% agree with this

Interesting thread. If the population needs to be thinned - and I call myself a conservationist - how can I make the decision to not? The family ranch where I hunt deer (frequently) has had a large # of deer for the last decade. I'll purchase the 5 antlerless tags per year. More money in the coffer for FWP and a deer I'll cut up and give to a friend that appreciates it. In this situation, breeding age does are prime targets.

BUT - if I'm on public land in Eastern MT - then No, I won't fill the tag.

No problem here. When I am meat hunting for white tails the fawns are old enough to survive. I get squeamish during our cwd hunt that has run into late February or early March and the does have fetuses in them when you field dress them.

Shooting the momma sometimes leads to a double because the young one hangs around too long. I'd rather not shoot the fawn just because the work of processing doesn't result in nearly as much meat. But when on multiple or unlimited Depredation/DPOP tags I'll take her everyday of the week.

Just to relate another sad story - I was hunting a farm in Virginia and got a shot at a couple of does. Turns out they were sibling deer of the year. Not sure where momma was. After I shot, the deer manged to run a little ways before going down. The sibling then came up to the down deer and stood over it nudging it with its hoof to get it to stand and run. It was a little too far of a shot at this point to try to double up so I just watched as the second deer eventually gave up the effort and moved off. Pretty sad and moving experience that makes me appreciate the family bonds of deer, at least when young. It nearly made me cry. And I would shoot her again for the meat.

I have several assumptions after reading all the responses and looking at the poll results so far:
1. Some people that say "No, never" grew up in the age of very few deer on the landscape when shooting does (and/or fawns) was either illegal or frowned-upon by most hunters and just cannot change their mindset.
2. Some people that say "No, because there are too few deer in my area" think they know more than the biologist that set the quota.
3. Some people that say "No" are only interested in shooting bucks (ie trophy hunters).
4. Some people that say "No, because the fawn might not survive" think they know more than the state agency that set the season dates.
5. Some people that say,"No" have an emotional reason for not wanting to shoot a momma deer (either saw Bambi too many times or are making an excuse for #3 above).

I say "Some people" because I am sure I am not covering all the bases and there are nuances to all of the answers.

What do you guys think?

I stalked a doe Antelope with a fawn the other day, but decided to stop short. This is my first time hunting antelope and I've got plenty of time left so I'd really rather take a buck. As for deer, I'd shoot none, or both...

I've always claimed to prefer a dry doe because of the assumption that if they aren't lactating they'll eat better, but I've been involved in significant population reductions on 2 different ranches, and have killed a bunch of doe both lactating and dry, and I'm not real sure that assumption holds water. While I've never segregated the meat and done any real evaluation, I also can't recall ever noting any significant quality differences in the meat as a whole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back