Poll: Rifle Caliber for Western Hunting

Which caliber would you choose for western hunting?

• 6.5 PRC

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • .300 WSM

Votes: 93 78.2%

• Total voters
Granted I haven’t spent a lot of effort looking for 6.5prc ammo but one of the gun stores near me has a couple rifles chambered in it but haven’t had any 6.5prc ammo to sell in 8-9 months. I personally have never seen a box of the stuff. They had 10 boxes of 300wsm last time I was in there.

I choose "C" also.

I'd split the difference and go with a 7mm.
7mm-08, 284 Win, 7mm RSAUM, 7mm WSM if your looking for a short action.

If you don't mind a long action, 280 Rem, 280AI, 7mm Rem Mag, 28 Nosler, 7mm RUM.

All will still have over 1,500 ftlb of energy at 500 yards. Plus better BC & less recoil than a 30 caliber.

Pair a 7mm with some Nosler ABLR, or Hammers and you got a winner.

Are you looking for 7lbs with the can, or before the can?

I can never understand the want of a can on a hunting rifle. More weight added, unbalances the rifle.
Especially with the advancements in hearing protection available now.

Granted I haven’t spent a lot of effort looking for 6.5prc ammo but one of the gun stores near me has a couple rifles chambered in it but haven’t had any 6.5prc ammo to sell in 8-9 months. I personally have never seen a box of the stuff. They had 10 boxes of 300wsm last time I was in there.
Yep huge consideration right now. I will be hand loading, but brass and powder is equally tough to find.

I didn't vote because I don't think Id go with either of those options. But as far as caliber in western hunting where the animals might be quite huge, .30 cal is preferable.

Anything wrong with an -06 or a .308? Even a 300WM? Get a little more umph than in short mag cousin and still fit one more round in the magazine.

I had Plains Precision Rifles build a 22" 300WSM for me last year. Its hands down the best rifle I've ever owned, .8 inches at 300 yards with 162 Hammers at 3160fps, and its everything I hoped a do all gun would be. My wife shot her first big game animal ever with it (doe pronghorn), and she found it comfortable to shoot. Its a Defiance anTi Model 7 sized action with a Proof barrel, Vortex LHT, Griffin Sportsman can, 7.9 pounds with an empty mag. I love 260 Remington, and 6.5 calibers in general, but the 300wsm offers better all around hunting performance in my opinion.

Last edited:
Since I will not shoot farther than about 450 yards at a big game animal for fear of increasing the odds of wounding him I have settled on the old 3006 Spingfield and the 308 Winchester. They work for me maybe not you……

I've always had cases on future build. Like my 7mm I've have 3 and have bullets/powder for at least 2. when I added. I like 6.5 PRC and if you can wait it out.
Something to keep in mind is getting cases. I was told that 6.5 your talking about is about like the 6.5x06 and I'd bet 06 case's are a lot easier to come by. I might be prejudiced having a 6.5x06 myself. As for the 300 WSM, I am not a fan of any magnum so prejudiced again. 06 case's are pretty easy to come by!

I would pick a middle ground 280ai, eldm, or eldx will run toe to toe with the 6.5prc with less wind drift and more energy and an extra 1 or 2 fit in the magazine. I had a 24" cf barrel with brake that is being replaced with a 20" and suppressor for the same reasons as you.
Buy an action that accepts prefit barrels and do it yourself for less money in a fraction of the time as waiting on a slowsmith.

I've got 6.5 SAUM, 7 SAUM, and 300 WSM hunting rifles.

For a 1 rifle solution for antelope/deer/elk, 7 SAUM is my vote. 300 WSM is a factory browning xbolt and it gets more elk hunting time than the expensive custom SAUMs but it's no fun to shoot as a 8.5# scoped setup and would be the last choice for deer/antelope.

I'd rather have a 300 wsm than 6.5 though if elk were a big portion of the expected use. So I vote 7 SAUM>300 WSM>6.5 SAUM for all around western gun chamberings if elk make up a fair bit of the equation.

Neither one for sure. He is what served me well for decades. 35 Whelen for the dark thick timber. 270 for open country. In the past few years, the 280AI has ruled.

I sold my 35 Whelen, my 338 and my 300 mags, a 30-06, ( but kept one) Also sold my 260. The 280AI just does it all, but i kept my .270

I picked the .300WSM. I own one in a Kimber Montana. I would love to say my rifle is very accurate but it isn't..My good friend has the same rifle and it is a tack driver. I need to work on some different hand loads or sell it 🤔

Back