Sons First Elk Rifle - Poll

Choose from one of the 2 options below.

• 7mm-08

Votes: 174 80.9%
  • 6.5 Creedmoor

Votes: 41 19.1%

• Total voters
I'm a big fan of the 7mm-08. If I was to buy another centerfire rifle I'd likely choose that caliber regardless of your question. Good luck to your son.

Does it? I thought the only difference was the CF barrel, but I don't remember all of the specs off hand.

Either way you guys will be happy. Reloading or factory ammo?

Factory ammo. I'm looking at the Mesa. I think the difference is the CF barrel and the fluted bolt. Maybe not worth the difference.

Factory ammo. I'm looking at the Mesa. I think the difference is the CF barrel and the fluted bolt. Maybe not worth the difference.
The Mesa has a spiral flute bolt as well. I looked at them pretty hard when I bought my new .280.

You hear good and bad about CA. I ended up with a mesa and it shoots .5-.75 out of the box with eldx's. Didn't feel the carbon fiber barrel was worth the upcharge.

Well as my handle implies I’m a big fan of 7-08. I have one and 2-3 of my boys have one and the only reason the middle one doesn’t is he bought a 243 off his uncle for cheap. I wouldn’t hesitate to use 140 accubond for elk out of 7-08 for myself or kids.

Do kids save up their money to buy a secondhand rifle for their first rifles any more?

Now that I think of it, My parents covered my car and fuel, but by goodness I had to buy my own rifle if I didn't want a hand-me-down...

I'm still shooting it.

For me it was a Mossberg in .270 win that we had duct tape over the magazine cover because otherwise all the shells would drop out the bottom at the first shot. I have no idea what brand of scope it had on it but it was a 3-9X but I think it came with the gun as a package deal. I loved that gun and was pretty confident in it. It wasn't "my" gun though and Dad kept it when I moved off to college. No idea where it ended up.
We can thank the likes of Jack O'Connor and Hornady for driving us to these fun discussions!

Do kids save up their money to buy a secondhand rifle for their first rifles any more?

Now that I think of it, My parents covered my car and fuel, but by goodness I had to buy my own rifle if I didn't want a hand-me-down...

I'm still shooting it.
Shhhh... When my wife asks me "Why do you need all those rifles, you can only shoot one at a time?!" I reply "One of the rifles is yours [predictably, I receive an eye roll in response], and our boys will all need a rifle someday." I don't mention it may not be one of MY rifles they get :)

Talking about a long-term, really nice rifle, I'd lean towards the 7mm-08. The only thing that gives me pause is a lack of factory options for elk-worthy reduced loads, if he really is significantly recoil-shy now. If it were me, I'd get a 7mm-08 and I'd handload really good bullets down a bit to reduce kick.

That said, he'll be set either way.

Talking about a long-term, really nice rifle, I'd lean towards the 7mm-08. The only thing that gives me pause is a lack of factory options for elk-worthy reduced loads, if he really is significantly recoil-shy now. If it were me, I'd get a 7mm-08 and I'd handload really good bullets down a bit to reduce kick.

That said, he'll be set either way.

He's not significantly recoil-shy. He's fine with the .223 and has a 20 gauge Benelli M2 field shotgun now that he shoots decently but he takes a little warming up to it.

I'm thinking that we will shoot a bunch of reduced recoil rounds for practice to get started and then move up to the desired elk loads with the brake on it. I'm planning on replacing the brake for the cap for the actual hunt. The biggest thing we are going to have to work on is quicker target acquisition and a variety of shooting positions and we can do a lot of that with a .22 rimfire.

He's not significantly recoil-shy. He's fine with the .223 and has a 20 gauge Benelli M2 field shotgun now that he shoots decently but he takes a little warming up to it.

I'm thinking that we will shoot a bunch of reduced recoil rounds for practice to get started and then move up to the desired elk loads with the brake on it. I'm planning on replacing the brake for the cap for the actual hunt. The biggest thing we are going to have to work on is quicker target acquisition and a variety of shooting positions and we can do a lot of that with a .22 rimfire.
After this past fall with my 12yo, that last sentence of yours rings very, very true!! Something I wish I'd spent more time on with him.

If he's fine with shooting a 20ga, neither of the cartridges you're looking at will be a problem. I find noise affects kids more than physical recoil.

Well I just pulled the trigger on a Christensen Arms Mesa in Black. The color was more important to my son than the carbon fiber barrel! Found it at Bud's Gun Shop for $1,380 including shipping. The cheapest I could find the Ridgeline was $1,995 in black and that was without shipping. I'm leaning toward the VX-5 in 3-15 44mm and a firedot reticle with Talley Lightweight Rings to top it.

Oh yeah, I ordered a 7mm-08 HT.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Ok, I'm solidifying my vote for 7mm-08, then. Have fun on that hunt!

Looks like it is going to be topped with a VX-5HD 3-15x44 Fire Dot Duplex CDS-ZL2 from Schmalts.

Last decision is going to be rings and bases. I tend to go with Talley Lightweight Rings but may go with the One piece scope base from Christensen Arms for it.

You should really look at the classifieds on LRH. There is some very good deals on there lately. I picked up a .243 Rem 700 SPS in a McMillan stock for my son for 800. 700 gun in a 600 stock and a trigger that is tuned perfect. Covid has it a buyers market on used guns.

My wife just about fell over when she saw what kind of a set up I bought for my son's first rifle,
I guess I'm not the only one, bought my oldest a franchi compact autolaoader today for his first shotgun. When I started I dont think they were making youth guns i started with a hand me down 870 12 gauge at around 11 years old I believe. I remember complaining that those 3" mags were pretty unpleasant. I was told "just hold on tighter!"
@npaden I voted 7-08 good luck in whatever you decide, looking forward to the story this fall!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back