Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sons First Elk Rifle - Poll

Choose from one of the 2 options below.

• 7mm-08

Votes: 174 80.9%
  • 6.5 Creedmoor

Votes: 41 19.1%

• Total voters
I like your approach. My wife just about fell over when she saw what kind of a set up I bought for my son's first rifle, especially the added cost of having the trigger tuned and an upgrade to a higher end Leupold than any I had at the time. Yet, when I look at how things ended up, I think it was a worthwhile investment when compared to other places I could have blown money.

When it was all done, he had a good rifle with a professionally set trigger. The optics were mounted for him, his size, and his eyes; not mine. Instantly, he was so much more accurate than when he was trying to shoot rifles that were set up for me. It was a .243. He grew out of the .243 in a year and the following year we set up my .270 the same way to fit his size, etc.

We all went through the stage of shooting Dad's rifle as a beginner. We killed some animals with those setups and made it work. I actually started with Grandpa's .30 Remington with open sights. It was all I could afford. In spite of the adaptation many of us made to our first hand-me-down rifle, I think if you set up a rifle specifically for the young shooter you give them a much greater chance of being more accurate, developing better shooting form, and likely will make shooting more fun for them. The more they enjoy it, the more they will shoot. The more they shoot, the better their results will be in the field.

BTW, I voted for the 7mm-08. Interested to see the end result.

Last edited:
Either cartridge will work well, but since you are investing in a nice rifle with hopes for him to use long term and he is starting with elk, I would vote for the 7-08. The 7-08 is probably a little more versatile just because of the options of heavier bullets. But the 6.5CM is certainly up for elk.

For ammo, Barnes loads a 120 TTSX that would minimize recoil, and the TTSX will let the air out of any elk in North America. I know guys that shoot elk every year with the 85 TSX and 110 TTSX out of a 270 to distances well beyond your imposed limit on your son. There are tons of other worthy bullets as well. Good luck with the hunt!

I like your approach. My wife just about fell over when she saw what kind of a set up I bought for my son's first rifle, especially the added cost of having the trigger tuned and an upgrade to a higher end Leupold than any I had at the time. Yet, when I look at how things ended up, I think it was a worthwhile investment when compared to other places I could have blown money.

When it was all done had a good rifle with a professionally set trigger. The optics were mounted for him, his size, and his eyes; not mine. Instantly, he was so much more accurate than when he was trying to shoot rifles that were set up for me. It was a .243. He grew out of the .243 in a year and the following year we set up my .270 the same way to fit his size, etc.

We all went through the stage of shooting Dad's rifle as a beginner. We killed some animals with those setups and made it work. I actually started with Grandpa's .30 Remington with open sights. It was all I could afford. In spite of the adaptation many of us made to our first hand-me-down rifle, I think if you set up a rifle specifically for the young shooter you give them a much greater chance of being more accurate, developing better shooting form, and likely will make shooting more fun for them. The more they enjoy it, the more they will shoot. The more they shoot, the better their results will be in the field.

BTW, I voted for the 7mm-08. Interested to see the end result.

For some reason I don't seem to need to justify the cost of things as much if I am buying them for my son. He has a way nicer shotgun than I do and this will be a way nicer rifle than I have.

Either cartridge will work well, but since you are investing in a nice rifle with hopes for him to use long term and he is starting with elk, I would vote for the 7-08. The 7-08 is probably a little more versatile just because of the options of heavier bullets. But the 6.5CM is certainly up for elk.

For ammo, Barnes loads a 120 TTSX that would minimize recoil, and the TTSX will let the air out of any elk in North America. I know guys that shoot elk every year with the 85 TSX and 110 TTSX out of a 270 to distances well beyond your imposed limit on your son. There are tons of other worthy bullets as well. Good luck with the hunt!

Yes, we have been shooting the 55 gr TSX at whitetails out of the .223 and it has been good. I shoot the 165 gr TTSX right now out of my .300 WSM. We will get a few different ammo options for the new rifle and let it pick what it likes the best. I really wanted to be shooting 180 gr bullets out of my .300 WSM but it liked 165 gr bullets quite a bit better.

I voted for the 6.5, only for the fact that where I’m at here in co. It’s been the ammo I have seen consistently on the shelves at the hardware store I go to. If you reload it might not be that big of a deal, that’s just the way I’d go. Good luck with your decision.

For some reason I don't seem to need to justify the cost of things as much if I am buying them for my son. He has a way nicer shotgun than I do and this will be a way nicer rifle than I have.

Same at my house. There is a reason why he has a full shoulder mount elk hanging on a wall in the house, but all elk I've shot are euro mounts out in the shop, some even bigger than the one on the wall in the house. There is no cost too high for my wife's dog or her son. I understand where I am at in the priority system of this house.

Thanks everyone for the replies and votes in the poll. I'm really surprised the 7mm-08 is getting so much love. I know a few years back it was deemed the HT 7mm-08 and I guess that reputation lives on!

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the one at EuroOptics. We discussed the stock color and for some reason the green one is $350 cheaper than the black one and he doesn't think it would be worth the extra $ to get a black stock. I looked at the Mesa as well, but I'm a sucker for a good deal and the Ridgeline is discounted quite a bit off MSRP compared to the Mesa. It seems like for the $400ish more in street price it has quite a few more bells and whistles.

My nephew took his first cow elk last year with a 6.5 creedmore. He is 10 years old shot was 275 yards. We loaded some 140 grn rounds for him, did the trick she hit the ground hard. I think both calibers are a great choice, i prefer .308 myself. I think the most important part regardless of the caliber or versatility. Is get a gun they will enjoy and not become gun shy with. Ive seen many friends turn their kids off from larger game hunts, because they threw too much gun at them too fast. I would much rather have to buy another gun down the road, then have turned them off from hunting. I think either way you won't be disappointed with your choice.

I think the 6.5 Man Bun is NOT your pick. :) I feel the 7mm-08 is just a bit better especially for elk, but then me and my son have both shot elk with our 6mm Remingtons! I'd go 7mm-08. Nice rifle and he should really like it.

Can you believe there used to be a day when a 12 year old kid was given a 9lb wood stocked/blued barrel rifle chambered in 30-06 (because that's what dad used in the war) with a 4X on top, the kid used that one rifle their entire life for everything and handed it down to the grand kids?

I have only shot one animal past 400 yards. Not sure my son will be shooting anything past 250-300. The 7mm-08 with the right ammo is a great gun and we will have well established limits before his hunt starts. As an archery elk hunter, I am confident we can get into 200-300 range of an elk this year.

Yes, it's great to see more experience in the field is enabling today's fathers to make better decisions, and the sons less stitches from scope cuts. 🤣

I like the .308 but a lot of people like the 7mm-08. I currently use the Ruger American which is a nice budget option that can stand abuse, but plan to upgrade to either a browning or something in that range.

Can you believe there used to be a day when a 12 year old kid was given a 9lb wood stocked/blued barrel rifle chambered in 30-06 (because that's what dad used in the war) with a 4X on top, the kid used that one rifle their entire life for everything and handed it down to the grand kids?

For me it was a Mossberg in .270 win that we had duct tape over the magazine cover because otherwise all the shells would drop out the bottom at the first shot. I have no idea what brand of scope it had on it but it was a 3-9X but I think it came with the gun as a package deal. I loved that gun and was pretty confident in it. It wasn't "my" gun though and Dad kept it when I moved off to college. No idea where it ended up.

Probably a Leupold VX-5 or VX-6. About to start that decision process as well. I take forever to make these kinds of decisions but I think getting something to put in his hand and get him shooting with sooner rather than later is going to be better than splitting hairs on a decision.

If going Leupold of course I’d contact Schmalts and I’d probably go VX5 3-15 but the 2-10 isn’t a bad choice either.

It seems like for the $400ish more in street price it has quite a few more bells and whistles.

Does it? I thought the only difference was the CF barrel, but I don't remember all of the specs off hand.

Either way you guys will be happy. Reloading or factory ammo?

I like the .308 but a lot of people like the 7mm-08. I currently use the Ruger American which is a nice budget option that can stand abuse, but plan to upgrade to either a browning or something in that range.
I too had a .308 sized to fit me at 12yrs. Great gun ,shot my Elk first season with it.
No need to move to anything else except a larger stock was added over time. 💥

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back