Sons First Elk Rifle - Poll

Choose from one of the 2 options below.

• 7mm-08

Votes: 174 80.9%
  • 6.5 Creedmoor

Votes: 41 19.1%

• Total voters
Voted 7-08.

Have been running one since 1984 - an original new Rem 788 that was my first centerfire. I have started my daughter and son with their own 7-08s as well as several friend's sons.
I use the Hornady reduced recoils for training and deer then moved them to the stouter 120-140grain bullets for the bigger game and longer shots.

The larger diameter, inexpensive training rounds, and availability to run 120-175gr bullets is a plus.

NorthGaAire

I voted 7mm-08 my wife shoots one And really likes it I’ve shot it and really enjoy the round I was going to get one my self But ended up going 260 Remington

Old thread I know but I looked at both of theses and went with the 7mm-08 based on slightly larger diameter. The ability to stick with 7mm component bullets if I reload larger and fast 7mm cartridges was a factor as well. Factory wise you can find 7mm-08 ammo between 120-160gr with 140-ish being the most common and probably the most ideal. Within the “ethical zone” for elk for most bullets (say inside 300-400 yds) depending on the load/bullet hey largely do the same thing so favors like ammo and price become more important decisions possibly. I have a Cabelas and Sportsman’s Warehouse not far from me and they usually stay pretty well stocked for both so that was a non-issue as a decision. I live in a state where 6.5 is illegal on elk and that was a consideration as I’d use my 280AI as a main all-around hunting gun on elk or whatever but I could always have the 7mm-08 as a backup guns should anything ever happen to it. If deer hunting the 7mm-08 is more than enough for whitetail... and arguably “perfect.”

7mm-08 82.1%
6.5 Creedmoor 17.9%

I voted for the Creedmoor and was stunned by the vote percentage.

Most of my bulls have been taken with the 308, but I have also used the 7-08. However, if my kids were starting elk hunting tomorrow they'd be using one of the two 6.5 CM's I have. An absolute no-brainer given the plethora of factory ammo loaded to full pressure, its stellar penetration, light recoil, and inherent accuracy.

7mm-08 82.1%
6.5 Creedmoor 17.9%

Most of my bulls have been taken with the 308, but I have also used the 7-08. However, if my kids were starting elk hunting tomorrow they'd be using one of the two 6.5 CM's I have. An absolute no-brainer given the plethora of factory ammo loaded to full pressure, its stellar penetration, light recoil, and inherent accuracy.
Just be sure to stay off the shoulders. Or so I’ve been told 🙄

7mm-08 82.1%
6.5 Creedmoor 17.9%

Inherent accuracy is a myth. My poor kids used .243's then. 270's. I'm a bad Dad. mtmuley

Inherent accuracy is a myth.
Ah, no it isn’t. Ask anyone in the 1000 yard game. All things being equal, short, fat cases with 30-35* shoulders are the gold standard for inherently accurate cartridges. Or, short, fat rounds with 20* or tighter shoulders over 30 cal. Any cartridge can be made to shoot accurately given the right smith, but some cartridges just want to perform right from the factory. The 6.5 CM is one of those. Ditto the 300 WSM.

Ah, no it isn’t. Ask anyone in the 1000 yard game. All things being equal, short, fat cases with 30-35* shoulders are the gold standard for inherently accurate cartridges. Or, short, fat rounds with 20* or tighter shoulders over 30 cal. Any cartridge can be made to shoot accurately given the right smith, but some cartridges just want to perform right from the factory. The 6.5 CM is one of those. Ditto the 300 WSM.
Ok Brad. mtmuley

Well OP mentioned that his som is a bit recoil shy. Between the 7mm-08 and 6.5 CM I'd have to think the Creedmoor recoils less, how much? haven't a clue. Of course the 7mm-08 has a better selection of bullet's. In 7mm My favorite in a 7mm Rem Mag was the 160gr Speer hot core and in 7x57 All I could get to shoot was 154 gr Hornady RN, Very effective. There are 156gr 6.5 bullet's I'm sure would level the field but no a clue where you'd find them and you don't sound like a reloader. But I've taken three elk does with my 6.5x06 and 140gt Hornady Inter locks, one shot each.

I'm old and don't care for recoil and really into 6.5's at this point in my life. My thought's run to 6.5. I have a 260 Remington on the way, a 6.5x06 in the cabnit and a 6.5x55 in the cabnit. Had a 25-06 rebarreled for the ex. She was small and shooting a 6mm Rem. She got the 6.5x55 and quit shooting the 6mm completely. She was about 5'5" and 125# and if recoil bothered her she wouldn't admit to it. Recoil bother's some people no matter their size but I think the best way to avoid the problem is don't go there in the first place! If I were to go 7mm-08 I'm sure the bullet's I'd go to first would be the 160gr Speer hor core and then the 145gr Speer hot core. I tried some 140gr bullet's in my old 7x57 and 7mm Rem mag and the bullets blew up pretty bad. Killed everything but wasted the inside of everything. When I get my 260 the bullet I'm hoping to use will be the 129gr Hornady inter lock. The boy is 13 and has plenty of time to grow into some other cartridge. Not especially a better one just another. The value of the cartridge depends on the person pulling the trigger more than the bullet used. The bullet simply gives the trigger puller extra options on placement!

Can't really go wrong with either i dont think. My son just killed a bull last year with a Christensen Ridgeline 6.5. A well placed 250 yard shot and that bull was as dead as any I've ever killed with a Magnum caliber. We've also killed a few muleys and bears with it. Worked just fine on all of them

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back