MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Police: Teen dies after boys shoot at each other while wearing body armor

I shoot green tips in my M4. No vest stopping that. Anybody got a teenager dumb enough to try that?

What about locking up your vests? It’s likely that would have prevented this right? 16 and 17 year olds should know better. Sounds like an education problem to me. Unfortunately now they know.

Up here federal law requires that guns be locked up unloaded and ammo stored separately. I haven't heard of a gun accident with a kid since living here in 1989. I'm sure it would make national news. No kidding. While growing up I can recall three kids died playing with guns in my small Montana community.

Gun owners are required to pass a safety course and are issued a photo ID which is required to buy guns or, in this province anyway, ammunition. Accidental deaths are extremely rare. Fairly recently a hunter shot and killed someone accidentally west of here and that made news but as I recall they were both Americans. As far as I know the details of what happened weren't released. Could have been a pass through deflection or shooting at sound. Who knows?

Anyway, gun regulation would appear to be working here. But of course, we live in a different world up here. Whether regulation creates that world or the culture creates the regulation is a chicken and egg discussion. Pointless. It is what it is and what it is is pretty good.

Up here federal law requires that guns be locked up unloaded and ammo stored separately. I haven't heard of a gun accident with a kid since living here in 1989. I'm sure it would make national news. No kidding. While growing up I can recall three kids died playing with guns in my small Montana community.

Gun owners are required to pass a safety course and are issued a photo ID which is required to buy guns or, in this province anyway, ammunition. Accidental deaths are extremely rare. Fairly recently a hunter shot and killed someone accidentally west of here and that made news but as I recall they were both Americans. As far as I know the details of what happened weren't released. Could have been a pass through deflection or shooting at sound. Who knows?

Anyway, gun regulation would appear to be working here. But of course, we live in a different world up here. Whether regulation creates that world or the culture creates the regulation is a chicken and egg discussion. Pointless. It is what it is and what it is is pretty good.

That took all of 3 seconds of a Google search. 14 year old kid. But hey the mainstream media didn't tell you about it so it must have never happened right?

That took all of 3 seconds of a Google search. 14 year old kid. But hey the mainstream media didn't tell you about it so it must have never happened right?
That's not an accident. Gang punks are getting guns down there, mostly bringing them from across the border.

That's not an accident. Gang punks are getting guns down there, mostly bringing them from across the border.

“Three-quarters are unintentional, so these are accidents that happen, and about 25 per cent are intentional or assault,”’ said senior author Dr. Astrid Guttmann, a pediatrician at Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children.

Last edited:

So maybe, being a lower 48er, I’m confused? Are you saying that two idiots shooting each other for fun, vest or not, is an accident? I’ve always considered putting my sites on someone as intentional. Could be their Parents had an “accident” 16-17 years ago but this discharge was INTENTIONAL, the outcome was not.

So maybe, being a lower 48er, I’m confused? Are you saying that two idiots shooting each other for fun, vest or not, is an accident? I’ve always considered putting my sites on someone as intentional. Could be their Parents had an “accident” 16-17 years ago but this discharge was INTENTIONAL, the outcome was not.
Exactly.

Since the intention of these kids was not to hurt or harm each other in their stupid "game," yes I would call this death an accident. The kid shooting another in the Ontario school was described by the police as an "execution." Not an accident! Genuinely purposeful murder so it is not a consideration in the discussion.

Up here if a child acquires his parent's gun and causes a death, either intentionally or accidentally, the parent may, and likely will, be charged unless gun and ammo were safely and separately secured. Loaded in a nightstand will get the parent time in a federal pen plus lose the nightstand and the rest of the house to litigation lawyers. Can kids here still get their hands on their parents' guns and cause injury and death? Yes, I'm sure it happens. But in my experience it is almost unheard of here, but all too familiar down there. Again, I won't attribute the difference entirely to gun regulation ... but I can't see how regulation wouldn't have had some impact.

It is absurd to think that any regulation will ever eliminate accidental or criminal gun violence. But mitigating the potential damage is always a worthy objective. Once you have lost a child, you might understand.

Agree/disagree to some of above;

1-“It is absurd to think that any regulation will ever eliminate accidental or criminal gun violence”
Agree- lessen maybe, eliminate never

2-“Once you have lost a child, you might understand.” Disagree- have lost a child, had nothing to do with firearms, and that doesn’t change my opinion what so ever. Do children need to be taught firearms safety? Absolutely! Do parents? Even more so! Can a kid get to age 16-17 and think that there aren’t some kind of consequences in pointing a weapon at another kid? Have a hard time buying that. Ergo, NOT an accident, a conscious decision!

Answer this, guy drives a car, front right blows out, swerved into other lane and kills another motorist! Accident?

Another guy knocks back a 12-pack after work, decides on some fast food and drifts into another’s lane killing that motorist! Accident?

One thing could NOT be anticipated or planned for, another came out of a conscious decision to do something they shouldn’t. A toddler pulls a weapon out of a nightstand and it’s discharge results in his death. Accident? Yes! Preventable? Hell yes!
Two 17 year old decide to shoot each other to see what happens. Accident? No! Preventable? Maybe but I feel that sometimes you can’t stop stupid! A conscious choice was involved, though an idiotic one! The toddler didn’t know The potential outcome, the two teens had seen the possible results a 1000 times on the tube in the last year.

Off the suds box for me, time for eggs and side pork!

I can't believe your brave enough to cross the border every year and risk your life down here.
I can tell you when my grandson is with me I make sure everyone we're visiting has guns safely secured. Same when my kids were young. When my then girlfriend and later wife first visited my parents at the family home in 1987 she was taken aback at the unsecured gun case at the top of the stairs. She was a sweetheart and my folks worshipped her so no tension was created when she asked if that was normal. Dad was so embarrassed. "I made the door for that closet more than twenty years ago and just never got it hung. It's in a pile of lumber in the garage." Next day I helped him hang it, but as far as I know still doesn't have a lock. My brother has a raving lunatic (no exaggeration!) bitch living with him in the place now so we don't visit it anymore. Too many guns (he even bought her a handgun!). I could put up with her but not with loaded guns around the house. Too dangerous. Up here a certified crazy nut like that would be denied a possession license and my brother would lose his if he gave her access to one.

I can tell you when my grandson is with me I make sure everyone we're visiting has guns safely secured. Same when my kids were young. When my then girlfriend and later wife first visited my parents at the family home in 1987 she was taken aback at the unsecured gun case at the top of the stairs. She was a sweetheart and my folks worshipped her so no tension was created when she asked if that was normal. Dad was so embarrassed. "I made the door for that closet more than twenty years ago and just never got it hung. It's in a pile of lumber in the garage." Next day I helped him hang it, but as far as I know still doesn't have a lock. My brother has a raving lunatic (no exaggeration!) bitch living with him in the place now so we don't visit it anymore. Too many guns (he even bought her a handgun!). I could put up with her but not with loaded guns around the house. Too dangerous. Up here a certified crazy nut like that would be denied a possession license and my brother would lose his if he gave her access to one.
Too easy.

Death can be due to an accident and still be manslaughter (e.g. drunk driver). Maybe that clears it up a bit.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back