MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Police: Teen dies after boys shoot at each other while wearing body armor

If someone’s kids steal their car and run someone over do the parents get held accountable?
Its kind of a different situation, since cars are for transportation and guns are for shooting things.

Locking up guns is pretty easy.

Lock up your guns when they aren't in your direct control. Thanks.

Is this one of the guys you were talking about who doesn’t even like guns?
I like guns just fine. I also take the responsibility of gun ownership very seriously.

Lots of children die each year because people don't take that responsibility seriously.

I agree 💯 that some parents are to blame for firearm accidents or shootings with minors. If a 2 year old grabs dad’s loaded pistol from the kitchen counter or from between the seats of the car, yes the parent is to blame. If a parent actively tries to cover up evidence of a firearm crime the child committed like in the Michigan school shooting a few months ago, throw the book at them and flush the jail key down the toilet. But when I was 16 I knew damn well that firearms were not out of the safe unless we were shooting with a responsible adult, I knew damn well that firearms, even unloaded, were not pointed at another person, I knew damn well that actions with a firearm were life or death. Why did I know this? Because it started at home when I was 3 or 4 and continued in 7th grade when we were required to take hunters safety in pe class.

When I was 16 I also knew how to get in the gun safe on my own and I was occasionally left alone and I often did stupid shit, but not with a firearm because I knew that it was life or death.

Is it fair to blame parents if for all we know they have done everything in their control to keep weapons away from their kids? Time will tell, but blaming all parents for gun accidents or shootings is painting with a broad brush.

Show me an example where having hunter/firearm education has led to more accidents.

According to this article from the Dallas news.com hunters safety was not required in Texas until 1988. At that time it was required anyone born after Sept 2 1971 must pass hunters safety to possess a firearm. In 1966 Texas PWD began tracking firearm accidents. There 85 that year with 28 fatal. Three decades later 56,000 Texans a year pass hunters Ed. There were 21 firearm accidents in 2017. This is still to many firearms accidents, but hunters education helps. It has been proven over and over.

I agree 💯 that some parents are to blame for firearm accidents or shootings with minors. If a 2 year old grabs dad’s loaded pistol from the kitchen counter or from between the seats of the car, yes the parent is to blame. If a parent actively tries to cover up evidence of a firearm crime the child committed like in the Michigan school shooting a few months ago, throw the book at them and flush the jail key down the toilet. But when I was 16 I knew damn well that firearms were not out of the safe unless we were shooting with a responsible adult, I knew damn well that firearms, even unloaded, were not pointed at another person, I knew damn well that actions with a firearm were life or death. Why did I know this? Because it started at home when I was 3 or 4 and continued in 7th grade when we were required to take hunters safety in pe class.

When I was 16 I also knew how to get in the gun safe on my own and I was occasionally left alone and I often did stupid shit, but not with a firearm because I knew that it was life or death.

Is it fair to blame parents if for all we know they have done everything in their control to keep weapons away from their kids? Time will tell, but blaming all parents for gun accidents or shootings is painting with a broad brush.

Show me an example where having hunter/firearm education has led to more accidents.

According to this article from the Dallas news.com hunters safety was not required in Texas until 1988. At that time it was required anyone born after Sept 2 1971 must pass hunters safety to possess a firearm. In 1966 Texas PWD began tracking firearm accidents. There 85 that year with 28 fatal. Three decades later 56,000 Texans a year pass hunters Ed. There were 21 firearm accidents in 2017. This is still to many firearms accidents, but hunters education helps. It has been proven over and over.

Your parents educated you on gun safety and at some point made the decision that you were responsible enough to have unsupervised access to guns.

Thats their prerogative. Had they been wrong and you shot and killed the neighbor kid then that should be on them because it is easy to lock up guns.

Every kid is different and most should not have unsupervised access to guns. That why kids can't just go buy a gun.

Teenagers brains aren't fully developed. Thats why they do stupid shit.

My sister and I shot at each other with BB guns, then graduated to throwing darts. Still see the image of her running to the house with that dart flopping in her thigh.

Aah, the good ol’ days.

My brother and I went through a phase where we would throw bricks at eachother.

Your parents educated you on gun safety and at some point made the decision that you were responsible enough to have unsupervised access to guns.

Thats their prerogative. Had they been wrong and you shot and killed the neighbor kid then that should be on them because it is easy to lock up guns.

Every kid is different and most should not have unsupervised access to guns. That why kids can't just go buy a gun.

Teenagers brains aren't fully developed. Thats why they do stupid shit.
Participation trophies. At some point kids have to take responsibility for their actions. These kids were going to get a gun one way or another and play this deadly game. Unless you show me evidence proving otherwise, lack of education is to blame. These kids for whatever reason thought that a vest was going to prevent a tragic accident with a deadly weapon. If they would have been educated from an early age on how to properly handle a firearm this scenario is much less likely to happen. It is not gauranteed to not happen but it has been proven time and time again that Hunter education lessens the likely hood of a firearm accident.

Participation trophies. At some point kids have to take responsibility for their actions. These kids were going to get a gun one way or another and play this deadly game. Unless you show me evidence proving otherwise, lack of education is to blame. These kids for whatever reason thought that a vest was going to prevent a tragic accident with a deadly weapon. If they would have been educated from an early age on how to properly handle a firearm this scenario is much less likely to happen. It is not gauranteed to not happen but it has been proven time and time again that Hunter education lessens the likely hood of a firearm accident.
Possibly. A gun was unsecured. What if a toddler got it? Would they understand? A 5 year old? 7 year old?

I didn't say the kids shouldn't be held responsible, along with the adult that allowed them access to the gun.

And, no. I doubt these kids searched out a bullet proof vest and gun to play this game. They were likely bored and a gun and body armor was available for entertainment.

If you own a gun, you are responsible for who gets ahold of it. Lock it up. Or educate the kids you are going to give access to it if you think that's enough.

Your gun, your responsibility.

Possibly. A gun was unsecured. What if a toddler got it? Would they understand? A 5 year old? 7 year old?

I didn't say the kids shouldn't be held responsible, along with the adult that allowed them access to the gun.

And, no. I doubt these kids searched out a bullet proof vest and gun to play this game. They were likely bored and a gun and body armor was available for entertainment.

If you own a gun, you are responsible for who gets ahold of it. Lock it up. Or educate the kids you are going to give access to it if you think that's enough.

Your gun, your responsibility.
If somebody takes something that's not there's I'm not responsible for there actions they are.

If somebody takes something that's not there's I'm not responsible for there actions they are.
Dangerous items are required to be secured.

Why are you all so against taking responsibility for your guns?

Dangerous items are required to be secured.

Why are you all so against taking responsibility for your guns?
Why are you against guns? What a great idea all legal gun owners should just lock there guns, never again will a life be lost to one.

Set some examples, punish and file a lawsuit, create some new laws that’ll make everybody safe against these obviously shitty parents, property owners and weapons manufacturers..

Wonder who supplied the body armor. That clown should be going to jail. And apparently not very well built so the company that built it should held accountable as well.

Wonder who supplied the body armor. That clown should be going to jail. And apparently not very well built so the company that built it should held accountable as well.
I think after the first shot or two they don't work so good. Obviously in this case.

Reactions: DFS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back