Points Schemes

TheInformedHunter

Who would vote to do away with point schemes? The points game seems to work okay for 4-5 point units that have enough tags to cycle hunters through every few years, but most of us can forget ever catching up to the really high demand units. I believe ID and NM are the only states that don't currently play the points game.

No. People have invested for years and dismantling them is not a good move for Fish and Game departments. People shouldn't have to step aside and drop 10, 20 or 30 years of diligently applying and investing so some flat-brimmed dudes who have a million insta followers and zero points can jump in line so they can get better content.

Who would vote to do away with point schemes? The points game seems to work okay for 4-5 point units that have enough tags to cycle hunters through every few years, but most of us can forget ever catching up to the really high demand units. I believe ID and NM are the only states that don't currently play the points game.

unnamed.jpg

People shouldn't have to step aside and drop 10, 20 or 30 years of diligently applying and investing so some flat-brimmed dudes who have a million insta followers and zero points can jump in line so they can get better content.

well that's like, maybe the 3rd side to the coin... ?

i also think about how my kids (that are unborn) may barely have any opportunity to grab a half decent tag

if colorado doesn't consider different R/NR allocations in the next decade or so, i wonder what even my resident chances will be at standard issue tags

indeed. here we goooo, again

If a state has enough tags to have a point system and the system allows for some random draws I don't mind them. Everyone who puts in should have some chance at a tag even with 0 points. I wish point only options would go away. It would make people cycle through their points faster, hence do away with some of the point creep. AZ is probably my favorite draw point system, because it rewards people who put in year after year while still allowing for random draw.

If a state has enough tags to have a point system and the system allows for some random draws I don't mind them. Everyone who puts in should have some chance at a tag even with 0 points. I wish point only options would go away. It would make people cycle through their points faster, hence do away with some of the point creep. AZ is probably my favorite draw point system, because it rewards people who put in year after year while still allowing for random draw.
NV does the same thing. Every year people with ZERO points draw a much coveted tags. Yes even a few non-res hunters.

well that's like, maybe the 3rd side to the coin... ?

i also think about how my kids (that are unborn) may barely have any opportunity to grab a half decent tag

if colorado doesn't consider different R/NR allocations in the next decade or so, i wonder what even my resident chances will be at standard issue tags

indeed. here we goooo, again

I would vote to do away with points. Young people shouldn't be 30 points behind the curve due to the date of their birth.

NV does the same thing. Every year people with ZERO points draw a much coveted tags. Yes even a few non-res hunters.
Yeah, I keep putting in in NV as well. I haven't been lucky enough to draw a tag yet, but only have been putting in for a few years. Someday I'll get a visit from lady luck. Should have enough points to get a cow elk tag.

i think most of us on this site would kill em in a hurry given the opportunity

i think there are even more 50-70 years olds that would, in an even bigger hurry, kill those trying to get rid of em
The ones that really crack me up are the folks doubling down and want to be able to leave their kids their points.

Can you imagine... “Yeah joe finally drew my CO unit 10 tag, 163 points”

25% random allocation and 75% allocation to point holders. Instead of preference points, bonus points. This rewards those investing time and money, but also doesn't crush people's hopes that they'll never draw that trophy unit/hunt due to point creep. That would be the universal system I would love to see. That or specific % of tags allocated to residents and non-residents and 100% random in each of those pools.

As much as we want to do away with point systems, we can't without screwing over a lot of people that have already bought into the system. I personally would prefer a straight up bonus point system where each bonus point is one extra chance in the draw. The good news is that there are so any different systems that you can pick and choose which ones to play. Don't like points? Then you can apply in Idaho, New Mexico, and Alaska. Want to go on a nice hunt 5-10 years from now? Buy preference points in Wyoming and Colorado.

At the end of the day point systems earn the states more money.

That’s really the driving factor. Point systems encourage return customers. If you did away with all system I guarantee you would cut down on people applying on 5+ states a year and for all species.

As much as we want to do away with point systems, we can't without screwing over a lot of people that have already bought into the system. I personally would prefer a straight up bonus point system where each bonus point is one extra chance in the draw. The good news is that there are so any different systems that you can pick and choose which ones to play. Don't like points? Then you can apply in Idaho, New Mexico, and Alaska. Want to go on a nice hunt 5-10 years from now? Buy preference points in Wyoming and Colorado.

Yep, I like that I have options. I knew I would not be going hunting out of state this year (short of drawing a sheep or goat tag), so Idaho held zero value for me this year. No reason to consider it. On the other hand, a good hunt in the next few years in Wyoming is a possibility, so preference points are worth the purchase. I apply for sheep in Nevada but not in Utah. The variety gives me choices.

QQ

I am one of the 50 YO guys who has been in the points game, in most western states, for 23 years. Not interested in doing away with it.

It sounds like some of you want to “socialize” the preference point systems and redistribute the “wealth” (my accrued PPs) to others. How do you propose to make me whole when you accomplish this? Maybe your response is “Too bad Buschy you were a sucker for applying religiously every year and spending tens of thousands of dollars. Here is a t-shirt...thanks for playing”. I am curious how those who want to do away with PPs would reply?

And just keep in mind that opportunities do exist for those with no points. You just may not get the choicest units. I’ll have tags for 3 elk and 3 deer this year across 2 states. I bought a PP at time of application in MT, but that’s it. I got into western hunting way to late in life to start playing the points game, so I’ve decided to not even try. I just apply for OTC and General tag units and have thus far been pretty successful. No trophies on the wall, but great times and full freezers.

I agree with hybrid systems of random pool and point based pool. It makes the most of a less than ideal situation.

I am one of the 50 YO guys who has been in the points game, in most western states, for 23 years. Not interested in doing away with it.

It sounds like some of you want to “socialize” the preference point systems and redistribute the “wealth” (my accrued PPs) to others. How do you propose to make me whole when you accomplish this? Maybe your response is “Too bad Buschy you were a sucker for applying religiously every year and spending tens of thousands of dollars. Here is a t-shirt...thanks for playing”. I am curious how those who want to do away with PPs would reply?
Four words - "assumption of the risk".

i like to broad brush

but overall i don't wanna screw over those that have invested so heavily, but as a younger guy, i'm not investing because i see no ROI - and i fear the ROI will even be diminishing in mediocre units as we continue to drive up application numbers

i just think something needs to change - should really every trophy unit only have 80 years olds hobbling around looking for 370" elk? *broad brush*

no i don't know how to fix it, so i do like to just scream "off with his head!" *broad brush*

Back