Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Poaching - turning someone in.

Would you....

• A. I'd TURN THEM IN FOR ANYTHING !!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Shooting somethnig on Accident like 2 birds in one shot is OK but anything else isn't.

• C. If they said it was an Accident no matter what I wouldn't turn them in.

• D. No way would I turn my hunting buddy in.

• Total voters

Moosie

Grand poopa
So this Glen Berry poaching thing got me thinking. Everyone is on him like White on Rice. If you were the Witness to him shooting an elk on the Idaho side (Not saying he did but using that as an Example)...

1. would you turn him in.

2. if you use the Same senario and see me doing it, would you turn me in ?

.......the point I'm wondering is would you turn your Hunting buddy in for doing something illegal, and if so, whats the lines ? I'm not admiting anything here or defending anyone here but just wondering what your lines are. If you're gonig to be a Pussy and type something you wouldn't really do keep yer Trap shut in this conversation.... :D

A. I'd TURN THEM IN FOR ANYTHING !!!
B. Shooting somethnig on Accident like 2 birds in one shot is OK but anything else isn't.
C. If they said it was an Accident no matter what I wouldn't turn them in.
D. No way would I turn my hunting buddy in.

i hate to admit it

But I would not turn in my hunting buddy. If I saw someone I did not know break the law I would turn them in, but not a buddy.

Nut said:
Nope I would not turn them in. I would sing like a bird though if he got caught. ;)

Wouldn't we all. That's telling it like it is Nut.

"A good friend will help you kill someone, your best friend will help you hide the body."

My buddies enjoy sanctuary. MOST others would be reported. Seasoned hunters and professionals for sure, (youths and tards) who know better almost always, hot persuasive chicks enjoy sanctuary. Absolutly serious.

I've never meet a hunter that was so anal with the regs to a T it was there bible, I think anyone thats hunted long enough has broke more rules then one, poaching or whatever. From winging a rifle out the window to shoot a coyote to taking 1 to many hen mallards, to even bigger things, I bet everyones guilty of something. I turned in 1 poacher that shot a buck out from underneath me with a rifle during archery season in OR one yr.

If the incident was intentional I would do my best to tell my friend to turn himself in. That is a decision a man has to make.....on his own. I'm not a rat, and I teach my kids not be that way either. His mistake is between him, his conscience and God. But I doubt I'd pack out an illegal bull. Not throwing stones in a glass house mind you, I broke the law before. But I see things differently now.

Cheers
Roadtrip

Turn you in?? As opposed to shooting you to collect the reward? I don't know! hump |oo

If it was malicious and deliberate, I would probably turn them in :( and then tell them I did it and that I wasn't going to hunt with them again. :mad:

If it was accidental, well, schitte happens and we all screw up once in a while. I guess the answer is :confused: , "It depends!"

:cool:

I'd still be in prison today if somebody turned me in for half the shit I did before I was 12. A bored and unsupervised ranch kid with a firearm has proven to be hell on those that can run or fly. It's a good thing the dead don't speak and that I wasn't into taking hero pictures of all the victims of my youth. :) I've always thought it was funny that birders refer to it their "life list".

Would I turn somebody in? Depends. A good friend? Dunno, it would have to be pretty bad and most of my friends are pretty good.

cannot answer it. Need more details and it depends on things. If a guy was just driving around shooting chit and sawing off the horns definitly. If a guy did it deliberate and had no remorse and wasnt my buddy yes i would. If he was my buddy i would tell him i was going to turn him in if he didnt stop doing what he was doing. But if he was a career poacher i think i would have to.
I am with Greenhorn, When i was younger I was a killing machine. i had a poor example of a Father to teach me ethics. He preached Safety and i got a smack up side the head if i waved a gun barrel the wrong way but as far as limits and rules he was bad. I did a few dumb things in my first few years of hunting but soon turned to the ethicle side.

Moosie,

your scenario and vote options don't fit the Glen Berry situation. If I saw someone shoot an elk, go up to it, not field dress it, not tag it, and then leave.............I'm pretty damn sure I'd turn them in regardless of who they were.

Heck, In Idaho if you turn a poacher in, you get cold hard cash! It's not much but is worth turning in some jerk off that blatantly broke the law.

I think the situation would dictate what would happen. I have to qualms about turning someone in. In fact, in certain situations, I would have no problem turning in a buddy....family would be much harder. But then again, Im stuck between a rock and a hard place. Being a LEO, if I know that a "buddy" is poaching, and do nothing about it, and then the "authoritaaays", find out, then I lose my job. If it was a super blatant violation, then heck yeah I would. A few years back, before I was in Law Enforcement, I was hunting my friends ranch with him. He spotted a decent 24 inche four point about 150 yards out and fired. After the muzzle rise and all that stuff, he looks through his scope, and the buck is still standing, so he shoots again. He looks again, and the buck is down. He goes over to the buck, and finds two bucks dead-within 5 feet of each other. They were near identical. After he shot the first one, the second one, who must have been bedded or had its head down in the sage, stood up and he shot it. Honest mistake, he never realized there were two bucks, and they looked so much alike, that you couldnt have been able to tell until you were up close. So I just tagged one and decided not to shoot a buck that year. I later let him keep the horns and meat from "my" buck, and called it a season.

SCOTT

It's depends on the situation. I've reported only one poaching incident in my life. A guy rifling a big bull during archery season. I watched him chainsaw the head off and take off without any attempt of meat salvage.

Uhhhmmmm, ask one of my ex hunting partners.........he found out the hard way after he arrowed two bucks when he only had one tag. That was about 18 years ago.

The two hunting partners I have now have shared my beliefs and philosophies in this area for over 15 years now. Good hunting partners like that are hard to find, and I have two of the best, IMO.

Greenhorn said:
I'd still be in prison today if somebody turned me in for half the shit I did before I was 12. A bored and unsupervised ranch kid with a firearm has proven to be hell on those that can run or fly. It's a good thing the dead don't speak and that I wasn't into taking hero pictures of all the victims of my youth. :) I've always thought it was funny that birders refer to it their "life list".

Would I turn somebody in? Depends. A good friend? Dunno, it would have to be pretty bad and most of my friends are pretty good.

exactly greeny, a 22 can do wonders on anything no matter how big it is.

In the first place I wouldnt be hunting with anyone that would intentionally break the law.

Delw

Wow im shocked by the outcome of this poll. I do not have to worry about what I would do if my hunting buddies would poach, none of them would and that is one of the reasons I hunt with them.

I would turn in my own father if he poached a big game animal.

The main reason I got into taking pictures of big game animals was knowing that one day I will have pictures of a buck/bull someone shoots in a unit and they will try to claim it in another unit( example, killing a buck in a limited quota unit and then driving across the road to a general season unit and tagging it there). I go out all year long watching wildlife. One of these days I will catch someone poaching.

Poaching is rampant where I live. And in a small town like mine everyone knows who is doing the poaching. Lately we've had a lot of poaching done by the workers who work on the rigs. Its gotten so bad that I've seriously thought about giving up this "sport". It sickens me to find sites like this on a regular basis when I go out in the hills. This WAS a mature muley, maybe one i even had pictures of. I found this while shed hunting:

poachedbuck.jpg

The fact is there are cheaters in every sport, hunting is no different.

I would turn in anyone if I saw them poaching.

EL

So WYdeerHUNTER, if you seen somebody hunting without their orange on, you going to run into town and make the call like a good boy? What if you are with a good friend who accidentally hits 2 animals or ends up with an extra animal down due to some sort of snafu?

Just when you think something like that can't and won't ever happen to you... the shoe could be on the other foot and making that call isn't as easy as it is to say you would.

Seeing somebody shooting a deer/elk out of season, at night, just chopping off the antlers.. that's a no brainer, but not really what Moosie is getting at here.

Del, just to make it clear, I wasn't shooting big game when I was a kid, it was lots of birds and small game, mostly birds, just tons and tons of birds. I believe I harvested the last passenger pigeon. :D

If my hunting partner accidently hit two animals, I'd expect him to call the warden himself. Doesn't make him a bad guy.....accidents do happen. Hunter intent when a violation occurs is a major factor when dealing with wildlife "snafu's".

I believe seeing minor violations (hunter orange) is not what Ernesto was referring to. The tiltle of this thread is "Poaching-turning someone in". At least that's what I based my response on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back