PEAX Equipment

Please Teach me a thing or 2 about scouting

MinneFoCo

Introduced myself a week or so ago in the welcome forum, but a brief rundown about me...new to the west and new to big game hunting.

I'll be public land hunting on the western slope of Colorado first season rifle this year. Being new to the area and new to hunting I've read and watched tons of information about hunting this fall.

Seems like finding these awesome animals is more than half the struggle (I could very well be wrong about this). I've gone out a few times to learn the lay of the land and look for elk too. Maybe spotted a few a LOOOONG WAY off. Here's what I've come across as far as help looking for animals.

Get away from trails, check northern slopes for game trails and bedding areas...might head to southern slopes for evening feeding. Look for benches between water sources, wallows may be found upstream from headwaters of streams, in a newly burned area elk like the new grasses and Aspen that grow in place of old pines, if I stumble across an Aspen stand without bark it's probably a wintering ground.

how does all this sound? On one scouting trip I (unfortunately) ran into some sheep and shepards. Is this good/bad? I figured this wasn't ideal due to the presence of men. Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom they would like to share? I am thinking of hunting GMU 12,23,24, or 131...have tag and am ready to work!

Thanks!

Depends a lot on the time of year you will be hunting. Also depends a lot on the amount of hunting pressure you expect in the area. What you are mentioning sounds reasonable, but is potentially geared to early season or lightly elk. If you are in a heavily hunted general rifle unit think about security too. Both yours and the elks...

Flattops units can be challenging. I've only hunted there once, but it was also first rifle season. Outfitters will be way back in there with horses, road hunters will be everywhere else. We planned to backpack in about 3-4 miles, to try and hunt between the outfitters and the road hunters. But mother nature changed our plans for us and dumped 2-3 feet of snow the first 3 days of the season. We couldn't get away from the other hunters after that, everyone was limited to how far they could travel. It's not unusual to get nasty storms like that, so my suggestion is to be prepared. It seems every few years there are news stories of hunting camps getting stranded, and this is where it happens.

I don't necessarily look for elk when scouting. The areas I hunt don't hold many elk during the summer, it's migration and weather dependent. So I really try to focus on learning the land so that I'm not doing recon when the season opens.

This is solid advice! Thanks from this newbie! I really appreciate it. I'm about as laid back and easy going a person you can ever find. I'm a nurse and have learned the importance of going with the flow. However, in the backcountry I run a tight ship, thanks for the heads up on the weather.

So what you're suggesting is hike in and learn the land. Don't be worried about spotting rather just know where things are (water/ridges/trails)? I had this big spot and stalk hunt in my mind, but it sounds like the thick timber might be where I'll actually find elk.

Depends a lot on the time of year you will be hunting. Also depends a lot on the amount of hunting pressure you expect in the area. What you are mentioning sounds reasonable, but is potentially geared to early season or lightly elk. If you are in a heavily hunted general rifle unit think about security too. Both yours and the elks...

I'll be hunting October 15-19. Hoping to get there a couple days earlier and get in deep. Can never be too safe! Thanks

So what you're suggesting is hike in and learn the land. Don't be worried about spotting rather just know where things are (water/ridges/trails)? I had this big spot and stalk hunt in my mind, but it sounds like the thick timber might be where I'll actually find elk.

Everyone has a different approach, but that is generally what I do. The elk are mostly going to be found up at the highest elevations right now, so spending your scouting time now searching for those elk doesn't do you a whole lot of good. You won't be able to hunt there come October due to weather and distance, and the elk will be moving down anyway. So I focus on ground-truthing my maps and developing my plans. Do your map and google earth scouting, identify a few areas of interest (sanctuary, feed, water), and go put eyes on them making notes on your maps. The idea is to have your game plan put together, so that you are not burning time searching for a place to hunt come October.

Randy had an outstanding podcast a month or so ago on scouting and planning out a 5-day hunt, well worth the time if you have not listened already.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/hunt-talk-radio-randy-newberg-unfiltered-hunting-conservation/e/ep-030-randy-talks-elk-hunting-strategy-daybyday-over-a-44771840

if there's crazy pressure or when all else fails, try to worse looking area, even if it doesn't look like good habitat, just the gnarliest canyon or the steepest ridge even if it looks like something elk would never live in try it. It's worked for me...

Everyone has a different approach, but that is generally what I do. The elk are mostly going to be found up at the highest elevations right now, so spending your scouting time now searching for those elk doesn't do you a whole lot of good. You won't be able to hunt there come October due to weather and distance, and the elk will be moving down anyway. So I focus on ground-truthing my maps and developing my plans. Do your map and google earth scouting, identify a few areas of interest (sanctuary, feed, water), and go put eyes on them making notes on your maps. The idea is to have your game plan put together, so that you are not burning time searching for a place to hunt come October.

Randy had an outstanding podcast a month or so ago on scouting and planning out a 5-day hunt, well worth the time if you have not listened already.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/hunt-talk-radio-randy-newberg-unfiltered-hunting-conservation/e/ep-030-randy-talks-elk-hunting-strategy-daybyday-over-a-44771840

What elevations do you recommend looking at the big three (sanctuary,water, and food)? I have not listen d to that podcast...looks like I will be doing some work house with a podcast or 2 playing. Thank you so much

I'm going to bump this question as I'm hoping to get a little clarification. I have hiked into my possible hunting grounds 4 times. Found an awesome looking medow with tons of sign (scat and tracks), and am learning the lay of the land, this medow is about 10,600 feet.

The area is in the flat tops wilderness area and it's about a 4-6 mile hike in from the trailhead. Found some evidence of old outfitter looking camps too. The hike gains about 3000 feet in 3 miles and is a killer. Went up this last weekend to look around and saw no animals, but sign. However when coming down the mountain I was surprised to see bulls still bugling and hanging with their ladies on private land (of course) around 7,300-7,600 feet.

My hunt's in 2 weeks and I understand the sanctuary aspect of these boys. If any one can point me to an elevation post rut that I can expect I would really appreciate it!

Keep in mind that killer hike means it will have to repeated many times getting the meat out. Don't just plan for the kill, but afterwards too.

Keep in mind that killer hike means it will have to repeated many times getting the meat out. Don't just plan for the kill, but afterwards too.

Oh I know! Trust me I know..the killer hike is what I'm hoping will separate me from most hunters. I've been spending those scouting trips dialing in what I need to bring so I'm carrying just the right amount of gear and food.

There's a possibility hunting pressure might push them up to me as well. I've just never done a mountain hunt like this before. I'm hoping to have an opportunity to see some bulls, if I get a shot I'm comfortable taking even better! Is 10,600 feet too high post rut what I'm wondering...especially if I've seen them actively rutting at 7300? I really don't want anyone to tell me where the elk are...that defeats a lot of the point of this trip, I just don't fully understand their migration habits. My area is in their summer grounds and is near the borders of some wintering grounds.

If you are hunting in an area with lots of other hunters, look for saddles or clearings to sit and watch as everyone else moves the game around. gets boring at times, but it pays off!

If you are hunting in an area with lots of other hunters, look for saddles or clearings to sit and watch as everyone else moves the game around. gets boring at times, but it pays off!

Thanks to you too! I'm hoping to do some watching from a few spots, found a few huge meadows, that border some of the thickest forest I've ever seen. Then found some massive blow down areas, hoping this sanctuary will work in my advantage

I'm no expert by any means. I can tell you on my one and only elk hunt that I found elk at 12000 feet the first day. Saw elk at 8000 foot on private on day 3. And passed on a bull at 10000 on day 4. The elk at 12000 feet were eight miles from the road. There were hunters camped on the same trail 6 miles in. The bull I passed on was 1.1 miles from the truck. So elk really are where you find them. One thing I would add is when you are scouting especially when you are walking the north side of ridges that the thermals are working in your favor. I don't mind getting a little aggressive trying to get a shot on an animal but wouldn't want to risk spooking the herd just to get a look at them.

Lots of good information above. A few other thoughts.... While the bulk of the elk are up high, there will always be some down lower. Usually smaller resident groups that find a little niche to live in year-round. So don't let that discourage you. There are still lots of elk up high.

Also, it's worth repeating, that area is notorious for early winter weather. Have a backup plan in case the snow flies and you can not hike in as far as you plan to. And be prepared for weather.

Good luck!

I'm no expert by any means. I can tell you on my one and only elk hunt that I found elk at 12000 feet the first day. Saw elk at 8000 foot on private on day 3. And passed on a bull at 10000 on day 4. The elk at 12000 feet were eight miles from the road. There were hunters camped on the same trail 6 miles in. The bull I passed on was 1.1 miles from the truck. So elk really are where you find them. One thing I would add is when you are scouting especially when you are walking the north side of ridges that the thermals are working in your favor. I don't mind getting a little aggressive trying to get a shot on an animal but wouldn't want to risk spooking the herd just to get a look at them.

Thank you for taking your time to give me a little knowledge. Definitely exciting stuff, the area I'm considering hunting doesn't have a large amount of areas that you can sit back and glass, mostly large to small meadows with THICK surrounding cover, it will be exciting to see how the hunt evolves. If is going to successful even if I don't see any elk...as I'll learn

Lots of good information above. A few other thoughts.... While the bulk of the elk are up high, there will always be some down lower. Usually smaller resident groups that find a little niche to live in year-round. So don't let that discourage you. There are still lots of elk up high.

Also, it's worth repeating, that area is notorious for early winter weather. Have a backup plan in case the snow flies and you can not hike in as far as you plan to. And be prepared for weather.

Good luck!

I'm gonna need all the luck I can get! Luckily I've dealt with my fair share of cold weather living in Minnesota for 35 years. I've heard the flat tops can get snow early, in fact with the way the weather has been, I'm a little concerned that winter might be on its way there already! Thank you for the advice and words.

I'm gonna need all the luck I can get! Luckily I've dealt with my fair share of cold weather living in Minnesota for 35 years. I've heard the flat tops can get snow early, in fact with the way the weather has been, I'm a little concerned that winter might be on its way there already! Thank you for the advice and words.

In Northern Utah, we've already received snow twice above about 7500 feet, so I wouldn't be surprised if the areas you've been talking about over 10,000 have had snows already. Be careful.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back