Caribou Gear Tarp

Please read this...

R

RogueWarrior1957

Guest
I received this warning in an email a few moments ago:

Subject: Re;Roomrefreshers


Subject: FW: Important Info re: plug in type room fresheners
Thought I would pass it on.......
Friends: My brother and his wife learned a hard lesson this last week.
Their house burned down...nothing left but ashes. They have good insurance,
so the home will be replaced and most of the contents. That is the good
news. However, they were sick when they found out the cause of the fire.
The insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours. He
had the cause of the fire traced to the master bathroom. He asked my
sister-in-law what she had plugged in in the bathroom. She listed the
normal things....curling iron, blow dryer. He kept saying to her, "No, this
would be something that would disintegrate at high temperatures." Then, my
sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade Plug-in in the bathroom. The
investigator had one of those "Aha" moments. He said that was the cause of
the fire. He said he has seen more home fires started with the plug in type
room fresheners than anything else. He said the plastic they are made from
is a THIN plastic. He said in every case there was nothing left to prove
that it even existed. When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the
two prongs left from the plug-in were still in there.
My sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that had a small night light
built in it. She said she had noticed that the light would dim....and then
finally go out. She would walk in a few hours later, and the light would be
back on again. The investigator said that the unit was getting too hot, and
would dim and go out rather than just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled
down, it would come back on. That is a warning sign.
The investigator said he personally wouldn't have any type of plug in
fragrance device anywhere in his house. He has seen too many burned down
homes.
Thought I would warn you all. I had several of them plugged in my house.
Just so you guys know, this e-mail is accurate as per the below website. I
just wanted to research it prior to sending it out. -- Sam --
Link to Warning

Check out the above link for more information
 

ELKCHSR

New member
Joined
Nov 28, 2001
Messages
13,765
Location
Montana
Thanks very much Rogue...That is very interesting. My wife seems to like these little critters...
 
R

RogueWarrior1957

Guest
I couldn't get the link to work, so I did a web-search. Here is what I found:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/WABC_7side_041902fresheners.html

And the ever present Snopes report:

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/glade.asp

Whether or not the defective ones have been recalled, anything that has a heating element that is left plugged into an outlet has the potential of becoming an ignition source. Night lights with an incandescent bulb are dangerous as well...the newer LED illuminated ones are much safer as there is no generated heat.

-Bill-
 

Ridge Runner

New member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Messages
2,140
Location
On the ridge
Wow not good at all. Thanks for the heads up. 2 of em just made the dumpster.
Should be a lawsuit coming from that one.
 

ELKCHSR

New member
Joined
Nov 28, 2001
Messages
13,765
Location
Montana
Thanks Rogue...
 
Top