Caribou Gear Tarp

Planning for an Eastern Montana mule deer hunt

I understand caring about the situation at hand. I am from NW MO and grew up on whitetails. I find myself very concerned about what is going on with herds, CWD and management/culling that takes place. I'm very engaged with our conservation department and their vision for the future in the state. My point is that hunting quality is a very subjective measure for many people. "I saw less than last year, times are bad" and then disagree with management techniques. All of that is fine, we should feel that way as hunters and express that to our agencies that manage game. A guy looking for some input on a hunt with his dad doesn't want to hear every guy and his dog complain about MT FWP, numbers, and CWD. He can't do anything about that currently. Provide some meaningful tips and encouragement.
You guys have some “mighty fine” whitetail hunting over there. I mean look at what the Drurys are shooting. Always confuses me why the midwestern guys end up over here with the quality of deer they have. I have no experience but I’ve seen pictures and it looks awesome.

Shucks can’t you just knock on some doors? That’s what they tell us to do here.
Go for it let me know how it works out for you. There's no doors to knock on here 90% of any land is owned by investors or out if towners. Anything accessible is leased with a line waiting to pay more. Not only access but also the idea of hunting country you've never hunted before. You think that those big bucks the Drury Brothers shot were on farms they knocked on doors for? Lmao

Reactions: DFS
Go for it let me know how it works out for you. There's no doors to knock on here 90% of any land is owned by investors or out if towners. Anything accessible is leased with a line waiting to pay more. Not only access but also the idea of hunting country you've never hunted before. You think that those big bucks the Drury Brothers shot were on farms they knocked on doors for? Lmao
It’s just about hunter landowner relations. Maybe bring them a box of apples.

It’s just about hunter landowner relations. Maybe bring them a box of apples.
The few places I have left are family or like family i don't think apples will cut it. Work around the farm clearing fence lines and installing tile lines then a couple hundred dollar gift box at the holidays. That's how it is around here anyway and I understand every area is different but the family farm doesn't exist much around us anymore. I wish it did.

Last edited:
If you’re a local and want to complain about numbers, go for it. Everyone whines on to try and deter non-res hunters. If MT FWP is still offering tags, it’s fair game. Ragging on quality and quantity to make a guy feel bummed about something he wants to do is dumb. No herd can sustain perfectly over the decades. Changes happen. Let folks be excited to hunt.
Opportunity man. mtmuley

Posts I see here regarding not being negative and just go hunt confirm my belief that if there were 10 muley bucks left in the state and FWP still gave out tags there would be guys lined up to kill them all.
Just gotta strap your boots up tighter and get away from the roads

3 years ago I didn’t think it was that bad ? Maybe a lot has changed. .

Attachments

• 9DAFE7D2-1FB8-41CA-A80A-87E7F8E952A1.png
    9DAFE7D2-1FB8-41CA-A80A-87E7F8E952A1.png
    929.2 KB · Views: 63

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back