Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Planning for an Eastern Montana mule deer hunt

I am considering heading back out to eastern Montana this year as well. I spent time in the South Central part of the region 7 in 2020 and had an amazing trip. I shot my first mule deer on that trip which was a long time dream of mine being a whitetail hunter from Ohio, and made some memories that will last a lifetime.
I am a little hesitant this year though due to the ongoing drought conditions that have seemed to even shrink the narrowing mule deer herd even further. I have some friends in the Colstrip area that have mentioned how badly the local mule deer population has been effected. Any thoughts on this for you folks in region 7?
It’s not getting any better. Very little snow this winter. This last snow storm we got is a dry snow

Reactions: DFS
Moisture brings moisture. There’s no moisture. This drought is gonna be ugly imo. Whatever grows and doesn’t get eaten by cattle the hoppers are gonna get. I personally think it could be a 2-3 year drought. Buckle up.

I am considering heading back out to eastern Montana this year as well. I spent time in the South Central part of the region 7 in 2020 and had an amazing trip. I shot my first mule deer on that trip which was a long time dream of mine being a whitetail hunter from Ohio, and made some memories that will last a lifetime.
I am a little hesitant this year though due to the ongoing drought conditions that have seemed to even shrink the narrowing mule deer herd even further. I have some friends in the Colstrip area that have mentioned how badly the local mule deer population has been effected. Any thoughts on this for you folks in region 7?
Believe your friends in Colstrip. I live there as well and will vouche for their opinions

The lack of sufficient snow is concerning.
Ft Peck getting lower and lower. Last year it was lower in June than it was in April.

The lack of sufficient snow is concerning.
Ft Peck getting lower and lower. Last year it was lower in June than it was in April.
In 2004 you could walk across the upper part of Fourchette Bay. mtmuley

At least the drought might help the mosquito situation in the breaks. 2014 was pretty miserable up there when everything flooded.

Thanks for the replies guys. Hard to justify a 23 hour drive with $3.50 / gallon gas prices (thanks Biden) and a $650 non-res tag with this bleak of an outlook for eastern MT.
Was also considering heading up along the Canadian boarder in region 6, but can’t imagine the mule deer have faired the drought much better up that way. I have never been to the northern reaches of region 6, so any advice / guidance would be helpful. Looks like a vast area with quite a bit of state land to explore.

Damn..... it was deleted but there was a great reference photo of a classic 164 typical mule deer posted a couple days ago.

Thought it would be good for people to study and get a real solid gauge on what they should be looking for.

Too late.

Damn..... it was deleted but there was a great reference photo of a classic 164 typical mule deer posted a couple days ago.

Thought it would be good for people to study and get a real solid gauge on what they should be looking for.

Too late.
Woulda been a long armed 170. mtmuley

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back