Pics from work

Erik in AK

Hey all,
Started my new job last week. Like 300 WSM, I'm a guard on the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. 300s' at Pump Station 11, near the town of Glenallen, while I'm posted up north at Pump Station 4, just north of Atigun Pass. Pump 4 is about 135 miles from Prudhoe Bay.

If you come up to hunt caribou you'll drive right by. If you call or email I might have some intel on the "where's o' the bou", and the weather (hint hint). Do stop in at any of the pump stations and pick up a permit to trespass the pipeline right of way. (They're free.)

I went out on my first road patrol today and took a few pics.
Hope you like them.

Attachments

• Pump 4 Bull.JPG
    Pump 4 Bull.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Chandalar Bull.JPG
    Chandalar Bull.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Pipeline south to Atigun.JPG
    Pipeline south to Atigun.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Pipeline upper N Fork Koyukuk.JPG
    Pipeline upper N Fork Koyukuk.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Upper Dietrich.JPG
    Upper Dietrich.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 172
You're kill'n me Erik! You aren't helping me deal with my "homesick" problem.

Doyon Unlimited Services
They're on the net

Security, Housekeeping, Kitchen staff....you name it

Half the guys up here commute from the lower 48

Erik,

I work at the beginning of the line, up on the Slope...

The past couple weeks were very foggy up on the Slope. But, I tried to make up for that by using the fog in some of my pictures. I'm not a photographer, and don't play one on TV...

We took two boats (identical 42ft work boats) on a long run west, and I took these pics of the other boat...

gwydyrbaywake.jpg

gwydyrfog1.jpg

cleared up just as we got home...

gwydyrfogcleared.jpg

stphomeatlast.jpg

and finally, yours truly, Capt'n BW :)

briandrivingbayboat.jpg

BW

Is this job something new you've started? I thought you were enjoying retirement down in Paradise and living the life of a real live Forrest Gump to boot. You're just all over the place.

Ovis,

It's a new seasonal job I took to expand my boating experience, and make some money off course. :) I may have retired from the Coast Guard, but I'm busier than ever. When I'm not on the Slope, I divide my time between working as an A&P mechanic for the local Part 135 operator, and taking care of our commercial fishing boat.

'Paradise' ain't cheap. ;)

That area around Pump 4 is about my favorite on the whole pipeline. Real nice hiking around there. The facility engineer there can take you to some nice spots.

what kind of shifts do you work there, one month on and one month home? always wondered how guys take those jobs. unless you move right up there.

Those pics remind me of when I was in the Navy on a Mine Sweep looking for mines in Cooks inlet.. ;)

It was just excersises, we hooked onto some thing that just about stopped the boat dead in the water before breaking the cable and cutters.

The Captain things we may have hooked an old ship sunk in the bay at one time or another....

Again, great pics...

Thanks... :D

elkfarmer,
I work (as do most Slope workers) a two-weeks on / two weeks-off schedule. My shifts are 14 consecutive 12's. AK state law mandates overtime pay after 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week, so I draw 80 hours of straight pay and 88 hours of overtime every two week rotation. Since I work at a "live in" station, the company flys me to and from work. I show my company badge at the gate and get on the airplane. Workers at "live in" stations get a dorm room and meals provided.

If anyone has experience in any of the heavy construction trades or oil/gas industries and is interested in working here I recommend they check out the Alaska Job Bank at the State web site. www.state.ak.us

way cool erik.I may have to give you a call sometime about the weather info etc.. up there.Arew you going to be there Sep 1st thru the 5th? Im heading somewhere to hunt bou or Moose dont know yet.Moose here or bou up there or up the Steese.But we'll see.ANd you have snow up there already? Dang! Btw! nice pic's and congrats on the job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back