MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pickup of the Future?

Given what’s happened with Tesla and Nikola stock prices recently, these guys will have no problems raising more money. I think they can now probably get as much VC as they want without having to go public.

I'm sure those billions thrown in this market place by banks and PE and VCs are all for the altruistic goal of saving the planet and potential for a blockbuster ROI has little to do with their motives LOL. Money never sleeps

Well it's July, surely they'll do something similar in the winter (if they didn't already) especially given the battery life challenges in the cold.
Wait, it's July?? That explains the 90 degree weather! I'm sure they only started working on this truck since the fair weather this year and had no opportunity to test it in snow this year.

Not out of the realm of possibility that it was not ready to be tested with rigor six months ago.
And Snow caps being still present last month is out of the realm of possibility!? Plus, wishing they would test it in those conditions can mean in the present or future.

I don't know why you're so defensive of the company? Especially when I wasn't even directing it towards you.

OFFS

Just wish they tested it on snow, ice and sub-zero temps. That'd be more realistic than rock climbing.

All car companies test in all conditions, they have to....for some reason it seems summer and off road is irrelevant? Some of the biggest testing grounds for all car companies are in Arizona and the Mojave. It's very clear from the mask the guy is wearing this was a very current test. This isn't being defensive, just stating the facts, they'll need to test in all conditions especially with billion$ in backing.....surely winter conditions will be tested, and likely reported and marketed.

They've been testing components in cold temps too. You have to remember this isn't GM, this isn't a tweek to some existing model. This is an entirely new company making an entirely new product from scratch (or at least not from a typical mold already out there). So just because you haven't seen a video of it doesn't mean they haven't done it or that they won't do it. This vid hits on some more details.

Definitely agree they need to test in winter conditions, but I think they can reasonably assume how it will perform prior to testing. Battery pack technology has gotten somewhat consistent, and the cold weather limitations of that tech are pretty well known. I don’t think the AWD system is all that different from others currently available from other ICE vehicles as far as it’s basic design is concerned (they are all computer controlled with electronic sensors these days). If they were making claims that this would greatly outperform other vehicles on the market in regards to winter performance, then I’d agree they need to do specific testing and have hard data to support their claims. But I don’t see them making those claims, so I think it’s safe to assume it will have adequate performance comparable to other ICE options on the market, with the already known degradation in cold weather battery performance. These likely won’t hit consumers until next year, so there’s plenty of time for cold and snow testing before that. And anyone who doesn’t like it can get their deposits back no questions asked.

The other big one for me is towing and it’s impact on battery life. I want to see the data on that. This will be the first electric vehicle specifically marketed for towing (along with Bollinger), and it’s still TBD and a big question mark for a lot of us as to whether towing is truly going to be viable. I have full confidence that it’ll have better towing performance than any current comparable truck, but if it reduces battery range by 50% or more, then it becomes less viable as a real towing vehicle.

The other big one for me is towing and it’s impact on battery life. I want to see the data on that. This will be the first electric vehicle specifically marketed for towing (along with Bollinger), and it’s still TBD and a big question mark for a lot of us as to whether towing is truly going to be viable. I have full confidence that it’ll have better towing performance than any current comparable truck, but if it reduces battery range by 50% or more, then it becomes less viable as a real towing vehicle.
Maybe, with a 400 mile range, 200 miles is still pretty damn good. I don't do a lot of towing but it's all within 50 miles, let alone 200.

You have to remember this isn't GM, this isn't a tweek to some existing model. This is an entirely new company making an entirely new product from scratch (or at least not from a typical mold already out there).

Exactly, they're going to need to be very transparent with investors, which in turn will need to be packaged up in marketing material for the car writers and potential consumers. These trucks won't be like anything else, and the competitive race will lead to some really cool outcomes for all the players.

"Our goal is to prove to people they don't have to give up their outdoor lifestyle to own an electric vehicle"

Check out Nikola as well. They’re going to change over the road trucking but the badger pickup is pretty neat as well.

My area in AZ seems to be ground zero for building this stuff. The Lucid factory is going up quick. Nikola is next, a few dozen miles away.

Nikola is building a badass UTV as well...

B793EF53-BAA3-4D33-9108-9911C24A8A2F.png

The Rivian pickup is supposed to be ramping production to start getting them out to customers around July 2021. The Covid thing really put a crimp in things.

🤮🤮🤮🤮

God I hate bs marketing videos.

Tell me how this isn’t a truck that runs on coal.
Com'on what do you expect? Zero videos? Selfies and snarky comments on Twitter? Those videos are exactly what you'd expect of company trying to take over a portion of the market.

I sent them a note asking about actual truck stuff. Hauling gravel, firewood, my mother in law's New couch. Everything else I can do with the new Rav4 prime

I think he’s referring to the somewhat misleading idea that all electricity is “clean” energy. And the fact that they are really hyping that up in this video. There’s conflicting “truths” out there about the true environmental impact differences between EV’s and ICE vehicles. Not only do you have the production of the electricity itself, you also have to think about the battery production / recycling / disposal aspect as well. Environmental impact is not my main reason for driving an EV. I like the performance, I like the leading edge tech that Tesla was bold enough to put out such as autopilot, and I like the fact that there’s minimal routine maintenance (other than tires and wiper blades/fluid). The fact that electricity can be cleaner is a bonus.

Com'on what do you expect? Zero videos? Selfies and snarky comments on Twitter? Those videos are exactly what you'd expect of company trying to take over a portion of the market.

I sent them a note asking about actual truck stuff. Hauling gravel, firewood, my mother in law's New couch. Everything else I can do with the new Rav4 prime

I think he’s referring to the somewhat misleading idea that all electricity is “clean” energy. And the fact that they are really hyping that up in this video. There’s conflicting “truths” out there about the true environmental impact differences between EV’s and ICE vehicles. Not only do you have the production of the electricity itself, you also have to think about the battery production / recycling / disposal aspect as well. Environmental impact is not my main reason for driving an EV. I like the performance, I like the leading edge tech that Tesla was bold enough to put out such as autopilot, and I like the fact that there’s minimal routine maintenance (other than tires and wiper blades/fluid). The fact that electricity can be cleaner is a bonus.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back