Personal Locator Beacon (PLB)?

Nobody here argues with the logic of "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" when it comes to packing a handgun. But when it comes to a PLB somehow it doesn't apply.
Every year we hear of people lost, never to be seen again. Or the CO hunter packing out his Mt. Goat and fell off a cliff. Backpackers heard his groans and moans but by the time help arrived he was dead. God knows how long he had been laying there. If he had a PLB help would have been on the way immediately and perhaps he would have survived.

We started with SPOT. Went to inreach shortly after they became available. really like live tracking as were either on the water locally; in a small plane up to 100 miles out; or hiking the tundra head butting grizzly bears all day.
Ive gotten so use to it that I carry it when I hunt in Oregon and Montana and even here at home when I’m running the dogs. I have a couple of ridges that run two or three miles off the road, no or little cell service and I’m no spring chicken. Send an update to my brother, he flips on his computer at work, 2 hour later he checks and I’m back at the truck.
Yukon Quest has elected to use SPOT.

We use both Explorer and Blue

It is a surprising how many of our older citizens will not use them----they claim 1. they never needed them 2. it is a way for the Govt to keep track of them

Last edited:
I'm going to get one. Flipped my kayak in 60 degree water last year. Lucky I was only1000 feet off shore.
So I need a waterproof one and it would be nice if it floated.
Leaning towards PLB.

If you want you can set your InReach to broadcast your location on a map to selected users
at a specific time interval (every hour, every 8 hours, etc.)
Isn't that only for one of the premium plans? It's pretty expensive as it is.

When I got into hunting, a pair of binoculars was my first purchase. An inReach was second. Seemed like a no-brainer to me.

When I got into hunting, a pair of binoculars was my first purchase. An inReach was second. Seemed like a no-brainer to me.
Yeah, I bought a Spot way back when but I'm eyeing a Garmin inReach for this year.

Reactions: Zak

No I can broadcast my location to a map that only my family has access to with a basic subscription...at least it worked last time I tried.
I pay the monthly subscription of $12.
I have the InReach with me cross-country skiing/skijoring in the winter,
rafting/canoeing/fishing in the summer, hunting in spring and fall.
So for me its worth the $12 per month.

No I can broadcast my location to a map that only my family has access to with a basic subscription...at least it worked last time I tried.
I pay the monthly subscription of $12.
I have the InReach with me cross-country skiing/skijoring in the winter,
rafting/canoeing/fishing in the summer, hunting in spring and fall.
So for me its worth the $12 per month.
I just looked at the subscription plans, looks like the tracking points cost $0.10 each for the basic plan. So setting the interval to every 30 minutes can be pretty cheap if I go out several times a month. I'll definitely use it, thanks for the heads up!

Halfway through the lifespan of my second PLB, I opted for the govt satellites and stronger signal. Switching to Inreach next time.

A couple years ago I talked to climbing ranger on Longs Peak, he said they are constantly doing search/rescue/recovery. He appreciated the text ability as it allowed them to have a much greater idea of the seriousness of the incident as well as what resources were needed. Multiple broken bones and head injuries are different than someone low on water for 2 hours. Five experience people to assist and on site, much different than one person alone and delirious.

I love the communication side of a inreach and the piece of mind is worth the $13 monthly bill. My normal day hiking/hunting i just send a "checking in, all is good" preset with location to wife 3 or4 times. If need something specific or something happens you can long text including with SAR.

I'm a zoleo guy myself...🤷‍♂️ Hopefully the SOS is accurate as I go to some really crappy places...

What brand of plb?

As mentioned above this is what Glass Eye and I am carrying independent of each other.

I noticed his in a different post a while back. The difference In-Reach and others depend on information being relayed while being monitored similar to a home alarm company. It can be used for non emergencies and texting etc.
The PLB signals directly to emergency agencies, CG, aircraft, etc. but you lose texting ability, asking for non emergency help etc.
This company is a major manufacturer in the Marine Industry and why I went with them.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back