PEAX Equipment

Personal Locator Beacon (PLB)?

Thanks, I'll check that out. I used one years ago when I sailed from CA to HI but never thought about them for hunting because it was pretty heavy.
I haven't used the PLB yet but I use the InReach a lot when I hike the Catskills and the Gunks in NY. Cellphone reception is impossible in the Catskills, so I use the InReach for texting my wife.
For the PLB, I have seen someone after they fell during a rock climb and later died. It wasn't pretty. I wonder if faster emergency assistance would have saved her. I think of that when NYC'ers come to the Catskills and hike in flipflops or have zero water with them on a 6 hour hike in the middle of July (true story!). By having 2 emergency communicators, I can assistance with one, and communicate with another - or give one to a party in distress.

I haven't used the PLB yet but I use the InReach a lot when I hike the Catskills and the Gunks in NY. Cellphone reception is impossible in the Catskills, so I use the InReach for texting my wife.
For the PLB, I have seen someone after they fell during a rock climb and later died. It wasn't pretty. I wonder if faster emergency assistance would have saved her. I think of that when NYC'ers come to the Catskills and hike in flipflops or have zero water with them on a 6 hour hike in the middle of July (true story!). By having 2 emergency communicators, I can assistance with one, and communicate with another - or give one to a party in distress.
I'm all in favor of redundancy in personal safety gear!

If all of you get an EPIRB or PLB, make sure you register it on the Coast Guard's/Govt website. We had some doofus in our marina let his EPIRB go off in his unattended boat. The Coasties could only tell it was in our marina, not a specific boat. This happens a lot. So register it!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back