Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Personal Locator Beacon (PLB)?

A207X2

Both my wife and I have PLBs that we wear while we're boating or out on our Sea-Doo. I never go out on the water without one. We boat in fish in the Gulf of Mexico, and the currents are strong enough that you can easily get separated from the boat and not be able to get back to it. There are countless stories of people who lost their lives simply because they didn't have a PLB.

I've not been hunting in decades (other than the occasional upland game birds where I knew where I was), so things like PLBs never existed. For you guys who are hunting out west, or in vast spaces with rugged terrain, do you take a PLB with you in your pack just in case?

InReach mini ftw. Altho Marcos just uploaded a video on Randy's YouTube with another option they've been testing called Zoleo. It sounded interesting and maybe the better option if you were willing to sacrifice some features like live tracking for about $100 reduction in cost.

Do I use a PLB and that would be no.
I hunt in remote places and Fish the Mississippi River.
It does not bother me at all as I believe in God and know I get to go to Dog Heaven when I die so all’s good.

Do I use a PLB and that would be no.
I hunt in remote places and Fish the Mississippi River.
It does not bother me at all as I believe in God and know I get to go to Dog Heaven when I die so all’s good.
In your equation did you factor in the lives of the rescue teams that will go out to find you when you're reported missing?

Number # 1 Rule as a First Responder is Your Safety, as your no good to anyone else if you get hurt. That what I was taught.
As far as wearing a PLB I will go out on a limb and say 99.9 % of people who hunt do not take one with them.
You asked Does anyone use a PLB and I said No and No I don't see one in my future.
You want to talk Dangerous Golf is more Dangerous than Hunting. Why Golfers get struck by lighting.
So if hunting I should carry a PLB because the odds of Me needing it are greater than getting struck by Lighting ?
It really boils down to what your comfort level is and If you think you need one. Everone should make there own decision and no Shame in taking one with you, as well as not putting a guilt trip on someone who does not. IMHO

But that's what this ExMarine Thinks.

PLB - some cattle stations I hunt are 1million plus acres and VERY isolated. It’s pretty standard kit for our group.

We started with SPOT. Went to inreach shortly after they became available. really like live tracking as were either on the water locally; in a small plane up to 100 miles out; or hiking the tundra head butting grizzly bears all day.
Ive gotten so use to it that I carry it when I hunt in Oregon and Montana and even here at home when I’m running the dogs. I have a couple of ridges that run two or three miles off the road, no or little cell service and I’m no spring chicken. Send an update to my brother, he flips on his computer at work, 2 hour later he checks and I’m back at the truck.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back