Permethrin?

kevine001

Anyone else using this stuff on your clothing and gear for hunting season? The flies and mosquitoes have been crazy last couple years, so I invested in a thermacell for in camp but ordered some of this for my clothing and gear. I also planned to use Off spray on my exposed skin (neck/face). I also have scent blocker, but was curious if anyone has noticed a decrease in bug activity after using Permethrin. It'll be my first time using it, and the reviews seem to be good.

Haven’t used it while hunting before since bugs here aren’t as much of a problem during hunting season. But I use it on all my hiking gear and sun shirts for fishing. I think it’s helped.

Yes and even use it on the dog.
Do not use permethrin on cats. Highly toxic for felines

And as for me permethrin on outside clothes is a winner. I purchased a “Bug Away” pant from ExOfficio that has permethrin embedded in the material, said to be good for 70+ washes. So far it’s been decent on mosquitos, stellar on ticks (but springtime is worst season for ticks in Kansas) but lacking in the chigger department.

My spray bottle just arrived. My hunting clothes, boots, hats and pack will get sprayed down. Also just ordered Sawyer Picaridin insect repellant spray. I have the DEET stuff and a thermacel that live in my truck for camping. But my hunting buddy swears by the Picaridin, which I'm going to use this season for my exposed skin

So you are suppose to spray this on your clothes and let it dry prior to wearing it. But what happens if you have sprayed clothing you are sweating in? Or if it rains? A good buddy was in the national guard and they had that available to the guys but he said most chose not to use it. I have heard it works great to keep ticks at bay.

So you are suppose to spray this on your clothes and let it dry prior to wearing it. But what happens if you have sprayed clothing you are sweating in? Or if it rains? A good buddy was in the national guard and they had that available to the guys but he said most chose not to use it. I have heard it works great to keep ticks at bay.
Yes on your out clothes. You can wash them several times and it still works, sweet and water from rain or fording creeks and it still works.
I often spray my clothes when they're on me and it dry as I walk.

Used it this weekend on the outer layer. Great for everywhere but my hands and head because they dont recommend using it on base layers, hats, or gloves. So just found that Picaridin lotion or spray, also from sawyer who sells the pyrethrum spray. Will use that on my hands and head and I hope it works cause I got eaten alive last weekend.

Last edited:
I use it religiously here in the Northeast for Turkey season. I’ve watched Ticks start crawling up my pants, start twitching and then fall off. I have 100% confidence in it. I spray it on my clothes a couple of days before the season starts and try to really saturate them. Once it dries it seems to last the whole month with no problem.

Sawyer permethrin spray for pants, shirt & socks, Sawyer picardin lotion for head, hands, arms & legs. Works great and lasts a long time. The lotion is sweat proof.

I usually spray hunting clothes twice a season. Let them dry overnight and get to it.
+1

Sawyer permethrin spray for pants, shirt & socks, Sawyer picardin lotion for head, hands, arms & legs. Works great and lasts a long time. The lotion is sweat proof.

I usually spray hunting clothes twice a season. Let them dry overnight and get to it.
+ 2

you can get it at Walmart in the camping section. It’s in a yellow and black aerosol can.

Years back when I was a teenager my mom got scabies from a kid in her classroom. Everyone in our house had to treat themselves as a precaution. They gave us an ointment we had to rub over our entire bodies. I looked at the active ingredient and it was permethrin. I figure if it was safe enough to intentionally douse ourselves with, I’m not going to worry about putting it on my clothes, even if some does leach out through sweat or rain. Each spring I soak my and my kids entire wardrobes in permethrin. Better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back