Pats 2012 WY pronghorn

BuzzH

Pat and I have had a couple interesting days.

I spent 5-6 days looking for pronghorn in the unit she drew and found a few good bucks. We left for the unit 2 days before the season started and right off the bat we found this buck:

IMG_0685.JPG

We both felt that this buck was right around 80-81. We also found another buck that was pretty close in size, maybe slightly smaller, but still exceptional. Later that night we were just about back to the highway and found this:

IMG_0660.JPG

The buck was with about 10 does or so and we watched him for about an hour as he just did pronghorn stuff.

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

We both decided that looking any further was not necessary...this buck had about everything any hunter could want in a pronghorn...with character to spare.

So the morning prior to opening day we went back and relocated him with no trouble. We then went out again last night and found him again very close to where we'd seen him the previous night.

I'll never forget this photo, seeing that buck on the skyline:

IMG_0694.JPG

We watched the buck until he bedded with 2 does and we left in the dark, driving down the road without headlights in the pitch black until we were well out of sight.

This morning we got to the spot we left them. Right as it was cracking light I spotted them in the exact spot we'd left them. We quickly formed a plan. We drove to a small flat ridge and parked the truck. By this time the buck and the 2 does had fed down into a slight depression. We got about 140 yards from them and Pat was getting lined up when a truck drove down the road behind the antelope. I had a pretty good idea who it was in the other truck, so I told Pat she better get with the program. She lined up and shot and the buck folded right on the spot. My hunch was right about the other hunter, who is a very serious hunter. We all walked out to the buck and wow. The other hunter put a quick tape to it and by his measurements on the "small" side and came up with 85 net...probably close to 87 gross.

Not much else to say other than its a great buck:

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

Oh, and one last picture for 1-pointer, who always asks about Bella...yep, she was there.

IMG_0748.JPG

Antelope don't impress me all that much beacuse they all look alike, kind of like mountain goats, but this is easily the neatest one I've ever seen.

Congrats to Pat, thats a heck of a trophy.

I've told this story to several friends already.. my version is even better than yours. Awesome buck, taken by the antelope icewoman. I'm just glad she wasn't required to kick another hunter's ass in the field.

I'm glad she doesn't have a mountain goat permit in my unit, as I bet she'd be on my favorite goat Saturday at daylight!

I've looked at this buck several times throughout the day on the cell pics and can't get over how awesome it looks. Congrats to Pat, fantastic animal...(I have a feeling the other serious hunter in there will still end up with a pretty solid buck.)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back