Park City Employee & Husband Charged

^ Spot on.

At least this time McLean's dumb decision didn't get someone killed... 4 dead partners... not exactly a paragon of sound judgement

I imagine they'll argue it was littering and they were simply cleaning up the forest. That is the argument I would use.

Honestly, I'll be more alarmed if they come out and admit they were trying to save poor innocent animals from stupid asshole hunters. It would signal that they aren't ashamed to steal from those they disagree with.

It will be interesting to read of potential fallout for cases with her as the attorney...

I imagine they'll argue it was littering and they were simply cleaning up the forest. That is the argument I would use.

Honestly, I'll be more alarmed if they come out and admit they were trying to save poor innocent animals from stupid asshole hunters. It would signal that they aren't ashamed to steal from those they disagree with.

In most states there is s limited period of time to leave a portable tree stand in the forest. I would argue (if I were them) that they were in violation of that time period and I was exercising my right as a Social Justice Warrior
that i was cleaning up after those terrible hunters. Either way, BHunter, I don't think they were ashamed of what they did. Just ashamed that they weren't smart enough to not get caught. Especially by something as low-tech
as a trail cam. I know some guys that use a trail cam to back up their trail cam. One for critters, one for peoples... Hunting Wife was right.

How did they know how long his stands had been up? LE also found the items in their cabin. She will have to wiggle hard to get out of this one.

A licensed attorney can't argue she didn't know they were doing wrong when they did this. The amount of ethics training I have to go through as a licensed engineer is minuscule compared to that of an attorney answerable to the state board. Plus, she should be held accountable for leadership in her role based upon her license, a detail that doesn't apply to hubby. This incident is different from the typical criminal act based upon the foregoing observations, and the legal system knows this. If the legal system in Utah just slaps her hand and lets her wriggle free, other jurisdictions will take note, and I don't think Utah would want that kind of stain to deal with. So, if they do anything up there except slam her and hubby, there will lots of blowback.

^ Spot on.

At least this time McLean's dumb decision didn't get someone killed... 4 dead partners... not exactly a paragon of sound judgement

Haha, no shit. The guy is a known asshole with a holier-than-thou attitude even among skiers. I had heard that when they served the search warrant they found other hunting gear that had been stolen from other hunters. On the other hand I have also heard that the hunter in question was a known asshole too who the entire neighborhood had repeatedly complained about for setting up his stand in clearly marked "No hunting areas" and so close to property lines that he was basically in peoples backyards. I have no idea which is true or if both are but like the man said, morons are morons and they come in all flavors.

How did they know how long his stands had been up? LE also found the items in their cabin. She will have to wiggle hard to get out of this one.

My point is you don't have to be right about the time standard. You just have to have and excuse/allegation/reason to defend your (thier) actions. More tongue in cheek than anything. yeah, this probably isn't the first time.

In PA. Stands must be removed from public land two weeks after the close of the season. I know of a few stands in my hunting areas that have been there for years but I still ain't hooking someone else's stuff. Just ain't right. BURN EM!!!!! LYNCH EM!!!FLAY EM!!!!!!

The lovely couple should have ceded jurisdiction to the ever vigilant and highly successful thought police...a much better conviction rate & no trial necessary.

Looks like McLean has been let go as a brand ambassador for Black Diamond.

Sucks to see peoples worlds start to crash as a result of poor decisions. But such are the facts of life, gotta have consequences. Glad BD won't stand for such behavior. Hopefully this can be more of an awakening for such brands to realize we are on the same side. BD fights the public land fight pretty hard and hopefully this situation doesn't cause further divisiveness between the BD types and hunters.

An attorney who prosecutes those who commit crimes should be held to a higher standard. For those who wish to pressure the attorneys office to do the right thing and take actions against its employee, the two names available on the Park City Attorneys website is provided below:

Mark D. Harrington, City Attorney
(435) 615-5029
[email protected]

Thomas A. Daley, Sr., Deputy City Attorney
(435) 615-5028
[email protected]

I used to be a climbing guide and grew up hunting, my dad was a game warden. I think BD makes good gear, and some at a reasonable price, most BD employees and athletes that I know don't dislike hunting, but don't think about it anymore than they think about the folks who want to do endurance horse races on public lands. There are so many user groups out there, it's hard to expect them to strongly support something that isn't their focus.

I know lots of climbers who are taking up western hunting, and while there is a sharp learning curve, their fitness, backcountry experience, and time spent suffering and failing usually make them great learners and hunters. Especially when you can convince them to slow down, take off their boots for a stalk, and not talk so loud....

Dropping a skiing athlete seems like a pretty clear message, and I like their support of public lands. Sitting at a table ranting about how we (hunters) want public lands run our way only will quickly leave us as the only people at our table. I think when other public land users realize what backcountry hunting is like compared with truck hunting beer drinking stereotypes they are almost always respectful. Especially when you bring something for the grill!

I think there are tons of good questions that need deep consideration, like the thread here about Mountain bikes in wild places that aren't wilderness, but I think Brad Brooks explanation of cooperation between groups in his Meateater podcast interview was very matter of fact and true, he used to work or does work for the Wilderness Society. The bigger the table and more people we have, the more effective we will be. I'm transitioning from being a climber as my main life focus to being a hunter for a renewed sense of adventure and challenge, and I want to teach my son about the world in multiple ways. But climbing is an amazing way to stay fit, challenge myself, and continue developing mental fitness and focus.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back