Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

paper wrap or vaccum seal

wheels

Its been a awhile since i have had the chance to prosses an animal. we used to vaccum seal, but seems like i see a lot of wrapped meat any certain reason why? thanks

It's cheaper ... but definately not as good as vacuum seal. Vacuum sealed meat will last a couple of years in the freezer. Paper wrapped MAYBE a couple of months.

It's cheaper ... but definately not as good as vacuum seal. Vacuum sealed meat will last a couple of years in the freezer. Paper wrapped MAYBE a couple of months.
I and people I hunt with haven’t had that experience at all. I pulled a piece of forgotten mule deer out of my freezer the other day from 2017, wrapped in plastic and then freezer paper. It was excellent.

^^^ Dbl wrap plastic/paper def the key... I went back to that method (much faster for me) a couple of years back and now only use the vac sealer for fish

I've had quite the opposite experience. Even with the thicker vacuum bags I've had them lose vacuum and freezer burn within months. Almost every paper wrapped (plastic wrapped first) has lasted the test of time. Found a package from 2014 this summer and was still good.

We generally used the plastic/paper method (although we used ziplocks) and as said had good results for at least a couple of years. Christmas before last mama got me a vacuum sealer and that is my go to now. After looking at some info on them I DOUBLE seal both ends of my packages for insurance. That is how I am packing my hunting meals as well.

Well okay. I formerly wrapped bloody meat in plastic wrap and then butcher paper and it kept well enough. But I have most of my goose meat done up into jerky, pepperettes, and smokies/polish. They will not keep that way. Vacuum sealer is a godsend for that stuff.

Food saver brand freezer bags and rolls are the worst for holding a seal. Ziplock brand is cheaper and almost never fails.

I put my meat in gallon or quart freezer ziplock bags and then wrap in butcher paper and have pulled stuff 3 years old out of the freezer and it's been fine.

Last edited:
I put my meat in gallon or quart freezer ziplock bags and then wrap in butcher paper and have pulled stuff 3 years old out of the freezer and it's been fine.
Works best if you insert a plastic straw in the bag, zip the top tight to it, and suck out the air as you're pulling out the straw and closing the zipper. Try to avoid sucking up blood.o_O

In Montana I stuff my pheasants into quart bags with zippers and suck the air out. They will just barely fit (a bit of a trick to it ... learn which end to put in first). Then when I get home to Ontario I throw away the bags and vacuum seal them before putting back in the freezer. Again, irregular shaped stuff doesn't keep as well unless vacuum sealed. Floppy bloody meat seals up fine with plastic wrap and paper. But there's a lot more game to preserve than just venison steaks.

We use to do the vacuum seal. Besides going through machines it was slow. We now plastic wrap then paper wrap our steaks and roasts and burger goes into burger bags.

The nice thing about vacuum sealed bags is that you can throw them in a pot of warm water and the meat will be thawed in 20 minutes. I’d go back to paper if it wasn’t for that.

Yeah, plastic wrap and freezer paper, I’ve discovered “forgotten gems” in the freezer 5 years old, mostly no freezer burn, If so, minuscule in lost volume. I like hand-rolled!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back