MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Paging Gellar!

Lilhowie83

Hey @Gellar I was just wondering who you have winning tonight in the Iowa vs Penn State dual tonight? I think Penn State will end up winning a very tight competition either 19-12 or 16-15. It is going to be fun to watch, with several close matches that could go either way.

Hey @Gellar I was just wondering who you have winning tonight in the Iowa vs Penn State dual tonight? I think Penn State will end up winning a very tight competition either 19-12 or 16-15. It is going to be fun to watch, with several close matches that could go either way.
I’ve been going to Iowa wrestling meets since I was 5 years old. But I’ll be realistic and say penn state is going to win.

125 Ayala (Iowa)vs hildebrandt (Psu) 6-3 dec Ayala. 3-0 iowa
133 Desanto (Iowa) vs rby (psu) 9-3 dec rby could be a major decision for rby. 3-3
141 eierman (Iowa) vs Lee (PSU) 6-2 dec lee. 6-3 psu
149 murin (Iowa) vs Bartlett(Psu) 5–1 dec murin. He needs a major here but won’t get it. 6-6
157 young (Iowa)vs baraclaugh (psu) 3-1 dec young 9-6 iowa
165 marinelli (Iowa) vs berge (psu) 12-4 maj dec marinelli 13-6 Iowa
174 kemerer (Iowa) vs starrocci (psu) 3-1 kem sudden victory. 16-6 Iowa
184 Assad (Iowa) vs brookes (psu) 11-3 brookes 16-10 Iowa
197 Warner (Iowa) vs dean (psu) 5-3 decision dean 16-13 iowa
Hwt cass (Iowa) vs kerkvliet (psu) 8-4 dec kerkvliet 16-16 psu on criteria number of takedowns

I agree with about everything you listed above. I didn't have Marinelli as a major decision but your probably right. I had RBY and Nick Lee as Major decisions. I've also heard speculation that they might move Berge to 157 which could give Penn State the win over Young at 157.

I think if Spencer Lee were still wrestling that he would probably get a tech fall over Hildebrandt and that would tip things in favor for Iowa. Either way it's going to be an exciting night. Are you going to it tonight?

I brought it up because last March @Gellar did a big thread on the NCAA finals and I knew he was a big Iowa fan and I knew he would have some good insight to the dual tonight. I'm from Idaho where we don't have anything close to the wrestling you guys have in the Big 10, so I really like to followvthe Big 10 to get my fill of good quality wrestling.

I think lee could major eierman, but eierman is stingy and won’t give up takedowns cleanly. Going to stalemates over and over without scoring uses a lot of clock. If lee majors eierman it’s on a stalling call.
If berge goes 157, young still wins. I don’t think his descent plan would allow him to be at 165 on Sunday and 157 today. I could be wrong though.

Marinelli, I have doubts getting a major but he is a senior leader and knows how bad bonus will be needed. Psu will have their skates on to try and hold the match to a decision. That would be a win for Psu if it stays a decision.

I will not be there. I was in Iowa City all week for work. My kids birthday is today so we are going out for pizza.

Last edited:
I have no clue, don’t follow it remotely close enough anymore to make a prediction. But will watch and cheer for Iowa just because.

I’ve been going to Iowa wrestling meets since I was 5 years old. But I’ll be realistic and say penn state is going to win.

125 Ayala (Iowa)vs hildebrandt (Psu) 6-3 dec Ayala. 3-0 iowa
133 Desanto (Iowa) vs rby (psu) 9-3 dec rby could be a major decision for rby. 3-3
141 eierman (Iowa) vs Lee (PSU) 6-2 dec lee. 6-3 psu
149 murin (Iowa) vs Bartlett(Psu) 5–1 dec murin. He needs a major here but won’t get it. 6-6
157 young (Iowa)vs baraclaugh (psu) 3-1 dec young 9-6 iowa
165 marinelli (Iowa) vs berge (psu) 12-4 maj dec marinelli 13-6 Iowa
174 kemerer (Iowa) vs starrocci (psu) 3-1 kem sudden victory. 16-6 Iowa
184 Assad (Iowa) vs brookes (psu) 11-3 brookes 16-10 Iowa
197 Warner (Iowa) vs dean (psu) 5-3 decision dean 16-13 iowa
Hwt cass (Iowa) vs kerkvliet (psu) 8-4 dec kerkvliet 16-16 psu on criteria number of takedowns
Remember Desanto has beaten Young twice. Last time they wrestled Young won 3-2. I watched Desanto this year he's way more in control of his emotions. Spencer Lee said of Desanto that no one has ever pushed him so hard and that was at practice. If Desanto keeps his head this will be a great match.

Remember Desanto has beaten Young twice. Last time they wrestled Young won 3-2. I watched Desanto this year he's way more in control of his emotions. Spencer Lee said of Desanto that no one has ever pushed him so hard and that was at practice. If Desanto keeps his head this will be a great match.
I watched rby against Michigan last week and that dude is lightning quick and smooth. I have seen quite a few carver upsets over the years and if desanto won this match it would rank right up there.

At intermission it’s about like we expected but Ybarra at 125 giving up the major May prove to be the difference. Look for marinelli to becoming hard, hopefully under control. There have been no takedowns in the first period yet. Mark ironside on the Iowa radio broadcast is going nuts. If you want to listen to good commentary kxic am800 on iHeart radio

Kermer wrestled a tough match, star is scrappy though. Iowa needed that and Desanto to pull one out. Not having Spencer Lee in the match like this is huge

Kermer wrestled a tough match, star is scrappy though. Iowa needed that and Desanto to pull one out. Not having Spencer Lee in the match like this is huge
Spencer Lee would be the difference maker here. 125 would have been 4 for Iowa instead of Penn.

Penn state did a better job winning the close matches. Iowa needed to win one of the tossups at 133, 141, 174, or 197. At 133 desanto needs to finish a shot and he wins. 174 Kememer was dead to rights a couple times and got out of the takedown. He thought he had been given a point at the end of the 2nd 30 second overtime and relaxed thinking they’d go back to their feet for another minute. 197 Warner has done that his whole career, get a lead and shut down. He rode him tougher than nails and you could see the fight leaving dean with every hard mat return, but he let up. Against a good opponent like dean they don’t stop coming and you can’t give up. When you have them about to break, you have to break them. I thought hwt was going to get ugly after kerkvliet scored that easy double leg, I’m not sure what he was thinking trying that trip with Cassiopi in a locked over under.

The thing that set Iowa apart when gable was the coach was that Iowa would win matches they weren’t supposed to, they would always be looking to score no matter the score of the match. Iowa would score at the edge of the mat and at the end of the period. Lately, Iowa has had several wrestlers that do not do any of that no matter the circumstances. They could dominate after getting a takedown in the first period but they choose to shut down and either win by a few points or lose.

Enjoyed the big 10 special on the Brands Brothers after the match. I grew up idolizing them as wrestlers.
Gellar, you’re right about not getting wins where they’re not supposed to. Gable did it, and Cael seems to have it figured out as well.

Penn state did a better job winning the close matches. Iowa needed to win one of the tossups at 133, 141, 174, or 197. At 133 desanto needs to finish a shot and he wins. 174 Kememer was dead to rights a couple times and got out of the takedown. He thought he had been given a point at the end of the 2nd 30 second overtime and relaxed thinking they’d go back to their feet for another minute. 197 Warner has done that his whole career, get a lead and shut down. He rode him tougher than nails and you could see the fight leaving dean with every hard mat return, but he let up. Against a good opponent like dean they don’t stop coming and you can’t give up. When you have them about to break, you have to break them. I thought hwt was going to get ugly after kerkvliet scored that easy double leg, I’m not sure what he was thinking trying that trip with Cassiopi in a locked over under.

The thing that set Iowa apart when gable was the coach was that Iowa would win matches they weren’t supposed to, they would always be looking to score no matter the score of the match. Iowa would score at the edge of the mat and at the end of the period. Lately, Iowa has had several wrestlers that do not do any of that no matter the circumstances. They could dominate after getting a takedown in the first period but they choose to shut down and either win by a few points or lose.
Good recap Gellar. It was a good, close dual all the way around. I just finished watching it, I couldn't watch last night.

One question for you, I was expecting to see Drake Ayala at 125. Why was it Ybarra at 125 instead?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back