Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Packs outside of the normal recommendations.

you can walk for miles with these.

I bought an ALPS Outdoorz
Great for meat packing and pretty darn good for packing in... it's cheap though endured a couple years w/o any breaks - yet. It had this year off due to my surgery though it met my trials...

One aspect though - DON'T USE an external frame if pulling a sled.

I've packed a ton of gear and fresh-killed elk and deer meat in an old Cabela's external frame pack. I bought a LONG time ago, but I think it cost around $150. Might be worth looking into for you. It's been very reliable. I generally use a Mystery Ranch Metcalf these days for hunting, but I hauled that old thing out this past summer for a 3-night backpack trip on the CDT and it was ever bit as badass as it even was.

Anyway, all that to say you might just have a look at Cabela's stuff. It's not bad and reasonably priced in a lot of cases. And it seems, in my experience, the high-end packs of 20 years ago are about the same quality as the low-end packs of today.

I purchased a Killik pack when i worked at sportsman’s a while back. I got an employee discount on it, but i believe it was around $200 normally. I’ve used it for a couple seasons and my only complaint is that it’s not as quiet as some others i’ve used, but if you’re extra mindful about it it doesn’t have to be an issue. I’m only looking to upgrade now because I need more room since i’ve been solo hunting and have to pack camp in by myself now. The killik pack will be passed down to one of my children and will probably last him a long time. On a side note, if anyone knows who makes quality packs more suited toward women I’d love to know. I’ve had my heart set on a stone glacier pack, but even their smallest frame belts are too big for my waist unfortunately.

@JLS - I think I'm going to start a folder of copy/paste files for "what are you running?" threads.... Quick and easy and I don't have to remember any time I swung wide of the facts...

To the OP - I started with an old Boy Scout frame with the bag removed. Then I went through a phase where bought traditional aluminum frame packs at thrift stores. There are probably a dozen hanging on nails in the shed now.

The first "meat hauler" I got was and ALP Outdoorz Commander at right around $100. You can add the bag later when the budget allows. A great meat hauler, but the bag doesn't have enough capacity for going deep. Their customer service is excellent for the price range.

Now I use two different Eberlestock (Not a sponsor....) packs. They are great solutions, but they are more than your $150 price point.

The first is an M5 "Team Elk" pack. It is the ultimate day pack. I've hauled out a couple elk quarters on it, but it is kind of small for that.
I use it to get the first quarter back to the truck, and then I switch out to a bigger frame.

The second is an F1T (T for Tall) Mainframe and Vapor 7500 bag combo. This pack will do anything. I've lived out of this pack for extended trips.

All Eberlestock packs have a military heritage, so they are sick with MOLLE attachment points for tons of cool add-ons.

I purchased a Killik pack when i worked at sportsman’s a while back. I got an employee discount on it, but i believe it was around $200 normally. I’ve used it for a couple seasons and my only complaint is that it’s not as quiet as some others i’ve used, but if you’re extra mindful about it it doesn’t have to be an issue. I’m only looking to upgrade now because I need more room since i’ve been solo hunting and have to pack camp in by myself now. The killik pack will be passed down to one of my children and will probably last him a long time. On a side note, if anyone knows who makes quality packs more suited toward women I’d love to know. I’ve had my heart set on a stone glacier pack, but even their smallest frame belts are too big for my waist unfortunately.
I highly recommend watching some Youtube videos on pack fitting. Everyone's body is different. You don't say where you are in #idahome, but the Eberlestock factory is in Boise and they do in-store fittings. Ditto Exo. If you were ever in Bozangeles, I'm sure MR and SG would too.

@Hunting Wife, @Panda Bear, @Randi, @PaulRevere, @MTelkHuntress might be able to advise you. Take a run through the Women Hunters thread as an "FAQ" and then maybe DM them.

I've had this problem fitting a hip belt for my young granddaughter, so I'm interested in the responses.

Last edited:
I have a pack frame with a meat shelf I think I bought for like 50 bucks and a yard sale camo backpack..like we all carried in 5th grade. I also have a fancy newer pack that gets more use..but if I have a high suspension of getting an elk a good ways from the road, you bet I'll be carrying the old one.. and guaranteed it's going on the following trips back in for meat and horns. I definitely want a pack capable of hauling a good load out first trip!

@JLS - I think I'm going to start a folder of copy/paste files for "what are you running?" threads.... Quick and easy and I don't have to remember any time I swung wide of the facts...

To the OP - I started with an old Boy Scout frame with the bag removed. Then I went through a phase where bought traditional aluminum frame packs at thrift stores. There are probably a dozen hanging on nails in the shed now.

The first "meat hauler" I got was and ALP Outdoorz Commander at right around $100. You can add the bag later when the budget allows. A great meat hauler, but the bag doesn't have enough capacity for going deep. Their customer service is excellent for the price range.

Now I use two different Eberlestock packs. They are great solutions, but the are more than your $150 price point.

The first is an M5 "Team Elk" pack. It is the ultimate day pack. I've hauled out a couple elk quarters on it, but it is kind of small for that.
I use it to get the first quarter back to the truck, and then I switch out to a bigger frame.

The second is an F1T (T for Tall) Mainframe and Vapor 7500 bag combo. This pack will do anything. I've lived out of this pack for extended trips.

All Eberlestock packs have a military heritage, so they are sick with MOLLE attachment points for tons of cool add-ons.

I highly recommend watching some Youtube videos on pack fitting. Everyone's body is different. You don't say where you are in #idahome, but the Eberlestock factory is in Boise and they do in-store fittings. Ditto Exo. If you were ever in Bozangeles, I'm sure MR and SG would too.

@Hunting Wife, @Panda Bear, @Randi, @PaulRevere, @MTelkHuntress might be able to advise you. Take a run through the Women Hunters thread as an "FAQ" and then maybe DM them.

I've had this problem fitting a hip belt for my young granddaughter, so I'm interested in the responses.
thank you for the response! boise is about 5 hours south of me. looks like i may have to make a trip to montana soon. i’ll head over to the women’s thread in the meantime.

The marine pack as mentioned before if you can find a deal or the old army Alice packs. I have used both and they beat the cheap cabelas frame pack by a mile.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have been looking around and I believe I am going to bite the bullet and go with one of the more expensive brands. I wish I could test them out before I buy but no one anywhere near me sells much more than Jansport!

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have been looking around and I believe I am going to bite the bullet and go with one of the more expensive brands. I wish I could test them out before I buy but no one anywhere near me sells much more than Jansport!
Do you have a sportsmanswarehouse in you ao? They carry mystery ranch

No. I am kind of in a sporting goods waste land. Nearest Cabela's or Bass Pro is around 3 hours away. Honestly, I haven't seen a Sportsman's warehouse since I worked in Dallas years ago.

Do yourself a favor and look at the Horn Hunter packs. Then call the owner (John) and tell him what you’re looking for and your dimensions and he’ll get you all set up.

I have the Horn Hunter Full Curl system. Under $400 for the full system. I spoke with John on the phone and asked him if he could modify the belt to move the pockets around to meet my needs. No problem, and he asked me what else did I want to change. We took custom measurements from the center of my back to the front buckle, and he built it to my specs. You can’t ask for better customer service.

I received the pack and it is perfect.

PM me for additional information.

$200 probably won't get you anything new that you are actually going to want. I'd either look used, or up my budget a little bit and wait for the Mystery Ranch of your choosing to show up on Camofire. You'll probably end up saving yourself money by doing so.

The Mystery Ranch dram packs can be had on sale for right around that budget. I’d keep my eye peeled for them on sale. Patience pays.

A little update. I have now bought two packs, both of which I like for different reasons. The first is a pop up 38. My initial assessment is that it seems very durable. The material is very thick, almost feels like canvas. The second one is a kuiu 5500. Even with it being a considerably larger bag, it is light as a feather in comparison. Of course, the trade off is that the material seems so much less durable. Not cheap by any means, but it just doesn't feel like it can take anywhere near the abuse that the mystery ranch could.
Both packs were bought on eBay and both had s/m belts on them, which means I will have to buy a different belt for both, but I think even with the belts I will still come out pretty good. The kuiu had a little bit of wear on the load lifter straps but if I buy the full suspension for it I think that will be included. The pop up looks almost brand new. I can't find a bit of wear on it. I am happy with both packs so far. Once I get the belts replaced I can make a better assessment on them. Thanks to everyone for chiming in on this.

Outdoorsman Pallisades or optic hunter used if you can find one....Most versatile pack out there. Use it as a day pack or for a week in the back country. You can up it to 7000 cu. inches with the accessory pouch and its an external frame. No bloody meat in your pack, Has a meat shelf and at the top of the frame has a nice knob to sling your gun over. Helps with fatigue and very convienient. You'll here ppl talk about weight..yes it's impotant BUT its only a pound or so heavier than most and is a pack easier to organize.. I have a badlands too and my outdoorsman blows it away. Steve Renella used one forever.. Look at his vids, and any pack with a horn is Outdoorsman as did Remy....neither were sponsored by them
I researched packs for months before buying.. ALWAYS came back to the Pallisades...fwiw.
https://outdoorsmans.com/products/palisade-90-pack-system.. gonna have to hunt hard to find some one giving one up I expect.

Back