Packs outside of the normal recommendations.

chrispbrown27

Shy of buying a used pack from someone, a pack from one of the brands that everyone recommends is not in the budget. So, what about the budget packs that are out there? I'm looking for something that will carry enough for a one day trip and also pack meat out. Budget wise, I would like to keep it below 200 on the top end.

Honestly, I’d look for a used Badlands. They’re guaranteed forever and the guarantee is transferable. I have the new 2200, and it’s literally the best pack ever. I have a 20 year old Superday that has been bulletproof.

I know a couple guys who got Eberlestock packs that are happy with them.

Also Camofire had some great deals on MR packs last week… watch to see if those pop back up again. Not sure if they were <$200 but possible on the daypacks.

This is what I use and it works well, $200

Cabelas alaskan, $99 new! Noisey but solid for weight carrying and still use mine for heavy loads on 2nd and 3rd meatpacking loads. Always in truck as a backup pack and has never failed.

I use a Kelty Redwing. Internal frame bag, main compartment plus four zipper pockets. I have two - one I paid something around $150 for, and one I found on a local Faceplace sale page, paying about $40. The $40 is the one I use to hunt. Green and silver, not camo or sand, and I usually strap an orange camo vest on it anyway.

I would be careful with Osprey, at least in my experience they are pointed to ultralight, and the fabric is not super robust.

I have an old Camp Trails external frame pack that is for hauling meat, after the first trip out I ditch the Kelty and go to the frame pack.

iu

This has worked well for deer and antelope hunting for me. It's on Amazon for 75 bucks.

View attachment 201403
This is the pack I got for my boys. They can carry all they need for a day's hunt and still pack an elk quarter out with it. We have only used them for 3 seasons so I can't speak to long term duribility. I use an REI pack that I paid $100 for over 20 years ago. They are a bit noisy on brush, but serve really well for the price.

I have 3 packs in my garage that have all packed elk and I probably couldn't get $20 for any of them. Osprey, kelty, military.

Last edited:
Being a flatlander, I have absolutely no knowledge of packs. What do you consider essential for a pack?

Don't but new pack in the $200 range... they will be garbage. They are built to a price point and are worth about 1/4 of that. Seriously a $100 bargain pack from Sportsman or Cabela's is the same quality. Look for used ones in that range in the higher end mountaineering or hunting type pack. Look for frames (shoulder straps/yoke) that are adjustable with good waist belts. While the bargain packs work and you can suffer through, be patient and you can find nice used ones for good deals. I see Mystery Ranch packs quite often in the $200-250 range in classified adds and on ebay.

Eberlestock and Crookedhorn are prime examples of price point packs. Used they are $100 pack at best. I sold my last one for $50 bucks and it cost me $40 to ship it, and I was happy to get rid of it. Most models are not adjustable, and are just cheaply made, their name (and being camo) sells them.

Look for a Mystery Ranch pack and snag it. Don't get sucked into the "quite" BS. I've killed a ton of animals wearing 'noisy' nylon packs, gaiters, rain coats, etc. More gimmick BS to sell you a $50 pack for $200.

I realize that everyone has a price point/budget, but don't be afraid to up it just a little. I went through cheap packs every few years, for 15 years until I bought a Mystery Ranch, then a Kifaru . I bought a MR pack in 2006 and have abused the crap out of it and also have a Kifaru that I bought in 2011 and have abused it just as much. It will do everything I can from packing moose quarters, to 100lbs of moose antler, to a sheep and camp. The MR almost performs as well, but not quite as well with bulky weird loads.

Stone Glacier makes decent packs, but they are not as well built as a MR, IMO They both handle weight about the same, neither works well for bulky loads, but works in a pinch.

Good luck on your quest. An extra $50 10 years from now won't really matter, but buying another POS cheap pack for $200 bucks 5 years from now may.

Last edited:
Being a flatlander, I have absolutely no knowledge of packs. What do you consider essential for a pack?
My set up is waterproof, but has no pockets. Just personal preference. I have accessories to attach my bow and my rifle to the pack, which for me is somewhere between extremely useful and critical. I need to be able to carry up to 120 lbs; not all packs can handle that much. There are other factors as well such as how well the pack collapses down which is helpful for moving through thick vegetation, and the weight of the pack which matters when you’re counting ounces on a multi-day steep and deep trip.

Honestly, I’d look for a used Badlands. They’re guaranteed forever and the guarantee is transferable. I have the new 2200, and it’s literally the best pack ever. I have a 20 year old Superday that has been bulletproof.
I agree, I also have Superday pack for several years now, absolutely bulletproof. Also take a look at AlpsZ. I have their Extreme-X Hybrid pack, 2700ci, and can haul meat. I personally have put 100lbs on that pack, my legs weren’t happy about it, but it was comfortable carrying.

Back