Pack size recommendations?

WyOpitz

Hey guys,
I'm looking at getting more into backcountry hunting. I currently go in quite a few miles but don't stay overnight. I currently carry an eberlestock X2 with no issues but am looking to upgrade. I had my heart set on the Kuiu Icon 5200 but think this may be too big for a day pack/2-3 day bag. I also liked the mystery Ranch Metcalf but felt it was a little to heavy. I have to say I'm quite intrigued by the new Exo-mountain 3500 pack. My only worry is that it may be too small.

What do you guys typically use for those shorter excursions, about 2-3 days? Would I have any regrets about this pack? I do like the weight of this pack being just over 3 pounds. Not sure if it would go with green foliage or ASAT camo! :D

http://exomountaingear.com

Thanks for our input!

For 2-3 days that 5200 might be a little more than you need, but not extensively. The sad thing about backpacking is you need pretty much all the same gear whether you go for 1 night or 12, all that changes is the amount of food.
I don't think it hurts to walk around with a bigger pack even if its just for a day, most newer packs cinch down pretty small anyhow.

In my opinion the Exo 3500 would be big enough for 2-3 days, but you might be lashing some stuff on the outside. Depends how small and packable your other camping gear is. It looks like a decent pack, and if you want something lighter like that the Stone Glacier Sky 5100 would be something to check out. You can fold it down to 3500 as well, and the frame is much sturdier than the Exo.

http://www.stoneglacier.com/Sky5100.html

Also on the Metcalf, you can get the weight down around 5.5-6 lbs, and what you pick up as far as comfort on heavy loads and bombproof durability might be worth it.

Last edited:
Those stone glaciers look sweet but I'm a pocket guy and I just feel like I need compartments and outer pockets. Maybe I don't but the pack just seems plain for $600. I am in Bozeman actually right now so I better stop into Schnees tomorrow before leaving town. Thanks!!

I think you'll want in the 3500 cubes range, and more like 4500 if you plan to do longer trips. Food takes up a tremendous amount of space.

I can get all of my gear into my Longbow, which is 2400 cubes I think.

Of course this will largely depend too on if you are talking archery season or later in the fall.

Ill be doing a video review on the Exo later next month. Backpacking in for 2-3 nights for with all of my gear for bears will be part of the review. The 5500 exo will be available in mid june, another option.

In my opinion for hunting, 4500 is the minimum for a backcountry hunt. I'd rather have extra room than have not enough.

Here's my Outdoorsmans loaded(with the auxillary pod)for a week:

5C39CFCD-221A-46D7-933E-533A1B13F965.jpg

Here it is as a day pack:

EAE820F2-48B4-463D-BB23-0257151F3052.jpg

I love my kuiu icon 6000. I use it for everything. Day trips up to 10+ day trips the nice thing about them is that they compress down so small but when you kill something it opens up and you can pack some serious #. The new frame design has fixed the issues they had with it before. Just my 2 cents.

What happens when you need a bigger pack for that 7-10 day back country trip?

Virtually every large pack will compress down to a small day pack. My current day pack is advertised at 7000cubes, I think its closer to 6000 though. The least I think I could get by with is about 6000+/- for a 7-10 day trip unless I started strapping stuff on the outside. That said there seems to be a lot of new bags that allow you to pack gear/meat between the bag and frame. Not sure how well it works, as I've read mixed reviews. I think as long as your camp didn't weight much it would work pretty well.

I wouldn't sweat a couple pounds on a MR if you find a good deal. The fit and ride is about as good as it gets. The extra weight equals heavier material and durability. Compare them to any of the light weight bags made, you'll soon see quickly where the "weight" savings comes into play.

How well it will hold up over time, that's a good question. They new light weight bags haven't been out that long.

I have a Kifaru Highcamp/Bikini. Great pack, but no where as durable as my MR.

I've been looking at packs also and considering the exo mountain also. It's 3500cuin plus 1000cuin of sleeve and side pockets so is it a 3500 or a 4500 compared to the other brands? I guess my question is how is a pack rated for cu in ??

There are many people here who do much more extended trips than I. With that said, I can do a weekend fair weather overnight with a 2200 Sq inch pack. It is stuffed to the gills and I'd have to pack out any game in a second trip.

I like the idea that some packmakers have of an 1850 sq. ft pack with a load sling arrangement closer to the back. This would allow you to pack in your camp in the sling portion and dayhunt out of there.

I've been looking at packs also and considering the exo mountain also. It's 3500cuin plus 1000cuin of sleeve and side pockets so is it a 3500 or a 4500 compared to the other brands? I guess my question is how is a pack rated for cu in ??

Dont forget that you can separate the pack from the frame to stuff quarters or anything else for that matter in between the two. That would give your another 1500 ci or more.

Same with the Stone Glacier.

I like my MR and have 3 bags but I am pushing 50 now and the weight of that pack really sucks. I was looking in my last issue of backpacker mag and they had a pack buying guide and there is a lot of sub 4 pound packs in there (some under 3) that are around 4000 inches and many come in earth tones. No camo but for a lot of hunts camo is overrated. Of course the down side is if you kill something then the comfort is more important than anything but I guess as I get older I am going to start to do multiple trips instead of one heavy nut buster so a compromise would be good.
Then there are trips like the fishing trip I did last year where no matter what the pack would never be over 50 pounds so I am looking at a lighter pack just for that occasion. Hell if I can shave 4 pounds off my pack just from buying a new one, I am interested.

Last edited:
I guess my question is how is a pack rated for cu in ??

In back packer mag they count every pocket. Now some have a pretty tall storm collar (the turtle neck part of the top of the bag) that can be over stuffed but that is not included in the capacity.

Ive been asking myself the same question with a 10-day fly-in trip to alaska coming up this spring.

I've always used an Osprey Aether 90 because it is so light and comfortable. It holds 90L and comes in under 5 lbs, works great for packing heavy loads of meat or anything else and not nearly the price of hte hunting specialty packs.Ive shyed away from the MR and Eberly mainly due to the weight of the empty pack.

The MR packs have always been too heavy for my taste, but now with the Metcalf being more lightweight im considering it. But it is only 4,500 ci (74L) and weighs about 6 lbs with the lid, i think.

Anyone have experience with a Metcalf on a long Alaska trip?

Thanks for all of the input, it's nice to hear from experienced hunters! I stopped by Schnee's today and looked at the Stone Glacier packs. They are very nice, the Sky 5100 as recommended above was HUGE! I just wasn't sure about the size, I really liked the Solo though (3300cuin), it seemed about right for most of my gear but looked like things would get tight when I get a spotting scope. I like the idea of pockets and I don't think SG is a fit for me. Especially at $600. I think I'd rather go the Kifaru or Kuiu route for that price, IMO.

I do plan on using this pack for both archery and rifle seasons so that makes me lean towards the 5000cuin as well. I still really like the Kuiu Icon, but there are potential frame issues. I still like the Exo-Mountain so maybe I'll just roll the dice on the Exo 5500. If it's too large, I'll just trade Jon Boy for the smaller 3500 after his bear hunt! :) I have the X2 so with the Spike Duffle, I suppose I could make do if I needed something smaller. Thanks for the pictures Dustin, it's nice to have a visual of these packs as well!

I still like the Exo-Mountain so maybe I'll just roll the dice on the Exo 5500. If it's too large, I'll just trade Jon Boy for the smaller 3500 after his bear hunt! :)

You may have a deal Wyo :D Ill be getting the 5500 bag one way or another, just need a new pack before bear season and want to get this review out for Steve as soon as I can.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Exo-mountain 3500 (4500 if you include side pockets for scope or rifle). I looked at my equipment and my current needs and feel this will fit me best with most use as a day-pack. I have pretty light camping gear. I will have all summer to decide whether it will be big enough or not. I don't think I will have any regrets with this pack.

FYI - Kuiu just marked their Icon 5200 down to $380 from $550 which was tempting but I'm gonna stick with exo-mountain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back