Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

OYOA Cameras go to Wyoming for Pronghorn

Huge mass at 200 yds. Need 125 for TV. Half hour of filming light left. Oak handed me 4 bullets.

Quit typing and go shoot the sucker!!!!

My sentiments exactly.

Who says you need 125 yrds for TV. Get schmalts to do the editing and the slo-mo instant reply, he gets great footage at over 300. Just make sure you aren't wearing shorts.....

A couple pics. Will provide the measurements tomorrow. Tired as can be right now.

We looked over hundreds of bucks today. I think we were on a buck slightly better than this one, but we just couldn't get a clear shooting lane for the cameras. But the stalk and the footage will be spectacular.

The footage on this buck will be some of the best antelope footage you will see. We had the buck at around 100 yards, but I kept waiting for a complete broadside shot. After about ten minutes, Oak starting waving his hat to get the buck's attention. The buck turned an gave me a great 140 yards shot. One shot from the .257 Weatherby, and the jig was up for this guy.

He had a severe injury to his back left leg. He limped noticeably. That, plus his good size, and the great camera work will make this a great antelope episode.

Will try to post more details tomorrow.

I was looking for good mass on whatever buck I shot. This guy had it.
IMG_4370.JPG

Nothing like pushing it to the last minutes of filming light. Makes for a pack out in the dark.
IMG_4372.JPG

A great hunt. Oak is a great guy, a great hunter, and knows pronghorn as well as anyone. Only regret is that we don't have another tag to fill.

Tired, come on slacker.;)

What is up with the jean attire? Everyone knows that cut-offs are more appropriate for WY lopes.:D

Congrats and looking forward to hearing more.

Nice buck Randy. If nothing else people watching the show should figure out you're a pronghorn junky.

attachment.php

That profile picture of the goat is a strange perspective. It makes the left horn look to be on the right side of his head, and the right horn on the left side, and only about 8" in length, with little mass....

I had to look at it a couple of times to figure it out.

Congrats on a good goat.

Where is the Posse Picture?

Where is the Posse Picture?

Oak requested too high of a fee to be photographed. So, the Posse pics on his camera. I will let him post those.

Here are numbers Oak came up with.

Left side:

L - 14 6/8
P - 5 6/8
C1 - 6 4/8
C2 - 6 7/8
C3 - 3 6/8
C4 - 2 4/8

Right side:

L - 14 6/8
P - 5 1/8
C1 - 6 3/8
C2 - 6 4/8
C3 - 3 7/8
C4 - 2 4/8

Total 79 2/8

Left horn is an inch bigger than the right horn. Not sure if antelope suffer the same effects as deer, when they have an injury, but it is interesting that this buck has an injured left leg, and his right horn was that much smaller. But, I have been told that deer reflect an injury by the antler on the opposite side is usually smaller or deformed.

I wasn't watching very closely as Oak measured, and he was laughing the entire time, so I am suspicious of what he is up to. Might have to give it my own taping when I get home.

Jose - I will see if Oak has a pic that might give it a different perspective.

IMG_4377.JPG

BF,

Great buck. There were no doubts here. I am glad Oak held the bullets!! It worked!!

Like the Old Navy Demim Hip huggers :) (Facebook flashback .. ;) )

Congrats on another Kick "A" Lope !!!

I had a great time tagging along on this hunt. It's very easy to pass up bucks when you're not holding the tag. ;) Randy kept asking me when I was going to look at a buck and say something other than, "just another buck."

I think Randy is a bigger pronghorn junkie than me, and he sure does have an itchy trigger finger sometimes. :D The work that goes into shooting one of these episodes is amazing, and this was probably one of the easiest for that crew.

Randy is a good guy and a really good hunter. I hope I get the chance to hunt with him again.

Here is another photo.

Randy1.jpg

NIce hero pic....no production crew is complete without a makeup artist...and a dental hygeinist. ;)

Nice critter Fin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cityslicker
Back