Over The Counter Elk - Colorado style

Good Luck! I hope your Colorado elk hunt is more successful than mine was. I made the mistake of choosing a unit with a high success rate ( according to DOW) and it was wall to wall hunters. No matter where we went we saw other hunters. They were even doing drives out close to the roads. We went 1st season to avoid the crowds but it did not work. Next year we are going to do like you and try to find an area no one else wants to go to.

Stopped by DOW to interview some staff. Asked them what the deal was with left over cow tags, as I had requested the production company to purchase a cow and a bull tag, but when I opened my package this morn, it was only a bull tag.

DOW explained to me that in this unit, you can only have one or the other, not both. So, when the production company got my tags, I ended up with a bull tag, not both, as I had thought.

Guess I should have opened my envelopes from the production company before I got here, and read their note. I wouldn't have looked like such an idiot in front of the DOW people. So, I don't have a cow tag, just one bull tag.

Trying to get organized and finish the TV stuff, so we can make an evening hunt of it.

Lol I wish I could blame some of my stupidity on my "production company " but its all me. Lol

Lol I wish I could blame some of my stupidity on my "production company " but its all me. Lol

Trust me, they have their act together. It was me who was the dunce. Only one guy to blame for "foot in mouth disease" and he is the guy at the keyboard right now. :eek:

Cow tag... You don't need no stinking cow tag..... Because that big bull is gonna make a mistake and you are going to make him a movie star!!!!!! Good luck Randy!!!

Got up the mountain this afternoon. Looks like things are in good shape. A long hike showed lots of elk sign, fresh snow, and not one human track more than a half mile from the trail head. Didn't have much time once I got there, but it was worth the effort to make sure that things were as I hoped.

I am excited for tomorrow. Light snow was falling when we hiked out in the dark. I think they may be lower this year, given the amount of snow, but lower takes me even further from the trail head, which is good news.

Hope my confidence is not a curse. I towed my ice fishing sled to the top of the ridge in anticipation that it will be employed to action. This spot requires you hike up for a good ways and most the hunting is on the back side of the ridge. Stashed the sled at the top of the ridge, thinking if I shoot one, I can shuttle the quarters to the sled docking location, put them on the sled, and then slide them down the hill, rather than pack them down the hill. Hope to find out how well that idea works.

Those sleds are a godsend. Won't tell you how I learned that at my old age. You must pack a ton of chit in your truck and trailer?

You must pack a ton of chit in your truck and trailer?

Yup. When you go on a trip that covers three hunts, for different locations and species, the amount of junk you need to carry is cumbersome. Add the cameras, tapes, chargers, tripods, reflectors, audio set ups, and other bundles of camera gear and I look like a portable sporting goods store that received an inventory shipment from Best Buy.

But some things you just don't leave at home - like a Jet Sled when you know there will be snow on the ground.

I think you'll see hundreds of elk Randy....I'm literally seeing 200+ head a day, the snow has them moving all day long.

I vote that you hold for a 280"+ bull.

Good luck. Sounds like a easy one. I put aluminum runners under my sled to keep it from sliding side ways and passing you up going down the side hills.

I put aluminum runners under my sled to keep it from sliding side ways and passing you up going down the side hills.

Good idea. Never thought of that trick in spite of occasionally experiencing those same problems.

Good luck. Sounds like a easy one. I put aluminum runners under my sled to keep it from sliding side ways and passing you up going down the side hills.

Randy, I just may have a connection to get you some aluminum, let me know what diameter and length.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back