Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Over The Counter Elk - Colorado style

Well said and done Fin. I'm glad that I only vicariously crawled through the branches of hell with you and not for real.

Fin,
Pretty sure most of my hunting clothes are torn at some level from the Oak Brush around here. It sure is a love-hate relationship, full of critters- pain in the arss to get through. Sounds like you gave it a great go. Wondering if you have seen brush like this anywhere else in your travels, I haven't. Good Job with the family too.... You know what its all about, those kids will remember that forever.

"you can't eat antlers!"

Last edited:
When I log on to Hunt Talk Forum I always check your ongoing live action thread. I was well rewarded today with your great real hunting action story. I think you'll be able to make a super episode out of this adventure. Thanks, for taking the time to write all that detail for the rest of us to enjoy.

The "reality" part of this show may very well lie in the word reality itself. The reality is that 99% of us don't kill anything on our first trip out. We return weekend after weekend to do the sport we so enjoy. Your first 2 seasons were almost unreal with the luck and great kill footages that you got. As you know there are times like that and the majority are like what you are experiencing this year. I know it's hard to swallow but your show isn't like every other show. You can't edit in lots of years hunting the same area just to make a rough episode good. The other whitetail shows can. They hunt the same plot of land year after year and we as the viewer have no idea if that really is footage from the actual hunt or not.

Someone earlier mentioned that it is On Your Own Adventures. Maybe we focus on the adventure part more so than the harvest. I think you'll find that the shows will be just fine without a kill because we can relate to the frustrations and events that are happening to you. It's the adventure part that is becoming more appealing to me with a harvest being a cherry on top if it happens.

Keep your head up. You're doing just fine.

Welcome to my hometown! Sounds like a great challenging experience. Hunting the oak brush out here can be really tough, which is why the elk are there. We had a very similar experience during the first rifle season and like you did not fill our tag. Going to try again in the fourth season and hoping to seal the deal. Glad you got to experience the hunting culture we have out in western Colorado and often is a family affair. Each year it is one of the few times our family gets together.

Last edited:
Great read. I understand your frustration, and a successful hunt always doesn't end in the harvest of a bull or buck. The seasons that I enjoyed the most and learned the most about the game is when I hunted all season, seen elk, hiked my butt off, and never fired a shot. This season I also hunted the 3rd rifle in SW Colorado and seen lots of elk, but the only legal bulls were after shooting hours.

Awesome write up. That's the average guys hunt right there to a T. An awesome experience that I believe needs to be shared regardless if there's no kill shot. What you guys just went through is what the rest of the OTC public land hunters go through all the time. A simply awesome story! It's too bad you couldn't get an elk but congrats on the hunt!

Great story and awesome effert you two put out. I bet you could find another hunt talker to hunt with you there next year.;-)

Fin, bummer you didn't fill your tag - from your pictures not too hard to figure out where you hunted, not that it matters, but not sure which side of the road you were on. Awesome country

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back