Over The Counter Elk - Colorado style

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
After reorganizing gear, I am now in Grand Junction, CO preparing for an elk hunt on the National Forests of Colorado. Not a special draw tag, but rather a bull tag I will buy at the CO DOW office tomorrow morning.

Last year we saw a ton of elk on this hunt. If you watch Episode 4 over on the Video Page, you will see the results of this hunt.

Wanted to get hunting tomorrow, but have to buy a license, then do two sponsor segments. TV sure gets in the way of progress around this joint.

If I can't get out tomorrow evening, I will be standing on the ridges come Wednesday morning. Only five days will be left in the season by that time. Hopefully I get more cooperation from the elk in Colorado than I have in the other elk hunts this year.

I also picked up a left over cow tag a month ago, just by going on line and giving them the appropriate fee. Amazed how many tags were left over, but given the huge number of elk in Colorado (300,000+) I guess they would issue a lot of cow tags.

The place I will hunt is kind of a bench that is a grunt to get up, and protected by a steep face above. The bench parallels a mesa for a couple miles. Seems no one else wants to go there, or at least was the case last year. Will be taking them out in the Mystery Ranch, if I do shoot one. As is the case in most states, finding places away from roads and trails usually gets you to the elk. Sure hope they haven't punched a trail or road into this place, or I will be scrambling for similar fall back locations.

Love hunting a place with so many elk. All I need is one that wants to be on TV.

Good luck Randy! Keep your head up! You will get the break that you deserve which is WAY overdue.

Are there any antler restrictions or is the first spike and cow together going to be killed!? LOL. Good luck Randy! You definitely deserve a good windless hunt. You're out of Wyoming so the wind shouldn't be as bad.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back