Over the Counter Antelope?

How did anyone figure stuff out before social media and hunting forums? My god, people must have never hunted out of state!! If you've been here more than a couple of months you'd see the plethera of people who come on here and within their first couple of posts ask questions, but not for 'honey holes', of course....and then are never heard from again after they get help from people more generous than me.
Damn ol grouch

How did anyone figure stuff out before social media and hunting forums? My god, people must have never hunted out of state!! If you've been here more than a couple of months you'd see the plethera of people who come on here and within their first couple of posts ask questions, but not for 'honey holes', of course....and then are never heard from again after they get help from people more generous than me.

Wow... JohnCushman, I really wasn't attacking you nor attempting to insult you. I'm capable of doing a better job if I was trying to. I was merely offering another opinion that a good conversation can be as desirable as the information and at the same time asking "where did the good old days go that it wasn't so competitive." A time when you could hunt with friends and have a good time. Most people are welcome to my campfire anytime. I hunt for enjoyment not trophies. Now days there is little respect for others, all about the trophy, and some people ruin it for others. You made a good point, and you kind of help make mine as well. I can understand the frustration. As a side note, just because one person has not been on this particular forum for very long doesn't mean they are totally clueless or not smart enough to know anything. The times have certainly changed...

Wow... JohnCushman, I really wasn't attacking you nor attempting to insult you. I'm capable of doing a better job if I was trying to. I was merely offering another opinion that a good conversation can be as desirable as the information and at the same time asking "where did the good old days go that it wasn't so competitive." A time when you could hunt with friends and have a good time. Most people are welcome to my campfire anytime. I hunt for enjoyment not trophies. Now days there is little respect for others, all about the trophy, and some people ruin it for others. You made a good point, and you kind of help make mine as well. I can understand the frustration. As a side note, just because one person has not been on this particular forum for very long doesn't mean they are totally clueless or not smart enough to know anything. The times have certainly changed...
Many here, myself included, have invited people from this forum on hunts and taken them to "spots." I know Cushman does this as well. There is a big difference though between sharing specific info with a friend you get to know and trust vs. just anybody on the world-wide-web.

My biggest fear with sharing unit info is that it may get spewed out again on here or Facebook, or another open forum somewhere.

I think the OP got about as good information on here as can be expected, a few specific areas to look at as well as states/draws to hone in the research on.

I completely understand the reluctance to give any indication of someone's hunting spots. I do not think that was the intention of the question. Furthermore, I do not understand the demeaning comments and the disrespectful attitudes. I realize some of the self identified "heavy hitters" in this forum have worked harder, hiked further, spent more time in the outdoors, and learned everything on their own. Some of us have had many others share knowledge and experience to help us be a little more successful. It's ok to keep your information to yourself, you have earned that. You have not earned the right to treat others poorly.

I went to Nebraska last year, had a blast it was a brutal hunt but completely worth it. Saw a couple great bucks and killed a dink but like I said completely worth it. After about the second day they are truck shy as hell though. Ended up spotting a group going about a mile away and walking up behind them to about 200 yards crawled on hands and knees for about 100 yards and then on my belly through probably the biggest cactus patch in the world for 50 yards and got a shoot on the first legal buck that gave me a shot. Learned a lot during that week and plan on hunting there again.

As for “spots” we all co-own every stitch on public land equally, I’ll take anyone that ask to any “spot” I’ve been just for the joy of hopefully allowing them to harvest an animal.

SD has an early archery season. Not sure if it’s OTC, but I think the tags are pretty easy to get.

Or just apply for a 0 point WY unit and go.

Why do anti social people join forums. It confuses me. You just carry gas around to start fires?

Someone ask for help he may not have the time nor wants to spend the time try to track down information on the internet. You don't want to help don't but do really have to berate him for asking?

My hunting life has been spent in the Midwest except for the 6 years I lived in Utah. I find the entire draw system of western states confusing. I have also seen Randy talk about over the counter Elk and deer combo tags in Montana but see very little info on line about these tags. It must be nice to have grown up out west and all this figured out.

Don't want to help don't. But if you don't want to be nice to people why the hell even be on the forum?

Maybe it's because the OP had no intention of actually participating in the forum. Since he hasn't been on since March 18 of 2019.
He only came here to get free info with no effort on his part. :(
I hate to be judged by my internet activity. I am on many forums (dog forums, gun forums, water fowl forums, upland forums, Michigan hunting forums) and do not often go to those forums unless I seek information or to respond to a topic that comes through my e-mail. I often just read what comes through in my e-mail and I never have to go to the forum (like this message). I have come here often seeking information. Like the OP I want to go west and do some big game hunting. I gave up that hunting while putting two kids through college. My son cost me 80 grand in tuition fees. Now that I have recovered and I have the time. I have sought out help from others who are more familiar with hunting out west and the rules. Please don't judge me but I own a computer business and the last thing I want to do when I have free time is to be on a computer. Just think its not fair to judge someone on how often they visit a forum. This is why I am not on facebook.

Back